Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Every camping hammock I can think of uses some sort of strap on the trees. Hennessy has been using tree huggers for as long as I've been hammocking. Same with Ed Speer's straps. Same with the new JRB hammock and the Claytor jungle hammock and the ENO hammocks. I'm sure there are a couple out there I'm not thinking of right now, but all the major ones do.
    Except for clark - but with the knowledge I gained from this forum it cost me only $15 to solve the problem (and if I shoped around probably could have done it for less than $10) - 4 ring buckles and some webbing.

It took only one trip into the woods with the Clark ropes to realize using them on trees with scale-like bark would cause damage. Surely they must have known this a long time ago.

Here's what Clark should have said "We have a rope that we think is technically superior to anything our competitors use but even our ropes can cause damage to trees so we encourage out customers to use a tree strap or webbing, and we are in the process of developing a tree strap system that will be a standard on all our models in the near future."
    Last edited by nogods; 11-03-2007 at 08:31.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    My pont is two fold: (1) Clark talked about the tree huggers as if they were already available, simply put that was a lie. (2) in any event, tree straps should not be an "option" - I personally saw the damage the Clark ropes caused to the bark on the evergreen trees in the Adirondacks. Clark needs to incorporate tree saving straps on every one of its hammocks. geezz...for $300 dollors a hammock can't they exercise some responsible conduct?
    Well, tree huggers ARE already available...I bought mine years ago from ENO for my Moskito hammock and later bought a set from Hennessy...I didn't catch where Spencer said they were available at Clark...I thought he just said they were available, which they are...I don't always use them...mostly only when I tie off on softwoods....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    Well, tree huggers ARE already available...I bought mine years ago from ENO for my Moskito hammock and later bought a set from Hennessy...I didn't catch where Spencer said they were available at Clark...I thought he just said they were available, which they are...I don't always use them...mostly only when I tie off on softwoods....
    Spencer Clark, at 11 mins into the interview, in response to a question about tree damage, states: “that’s why many companies, INCLUDING OURS, offer tree straps.” That was a lie.

After listening to the podcast a second time and re-hearing the bull about Clark having tree straps and the use of infalted ziplock bags, I've decided it is a company that can't be trusted. They apparently will say anything to sell hammocks.

I am definietly returning my second hammock and I'm going to encourage my son to let me return his too. But there is some good, my disgust with Clark has induced me to try my hand at making my own hammocks, which I'll detail in another post.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I felt Clark's integrity is important to them so I sent them a link to this thread. Let's see how they respond, IF they respond.

Images
    I felt Clark's integrity is important to them so I sent them a link to this thread. Let's see how they respond, IF they respond.
    good idea - I left a comment about the podcast on Practical Backing not long after you posted your comments. Mine never got published, apparently because they were critical about the tree strap claim. It looks like practical backpacking is protecting its "advertisers" from anything other than praise - which itself raises questions about the validity of information found there.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7

Email from Spencer Clark

The man works on Sunday! I don't...I was hangin' out!

RE: Tree Straps...‏

Sent: Sun 11/04/07 8:54 PM
    To: mataharihiker@

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your email. I read the discussion you sent me about the tree straps with interest. Like I mentioned in the interview, Clark offers tree straps like many companies do. Our tree straps have been available for many years for the price of $5 to those who call and request them. The reason we have not incorporated the tree straps into our hammocks is because there are so many ways our customers suspend their hammocks. Everyone has their own method. We're going to continue striving to make perfect hammocks, and we'll let hammock campers decide which suspension system is best for them. Over time, there may begin to be some consensus about what kind of straps are most useful, and its likely we'll start making them standard to our hammocks at that time.

We try to be very responsive. People should spend less time complaining on forums and more time talking to the people who can actually change things. Your email gave us pause, and it made me think that we may have to re-set our priorities to keep up with the environmental needs of our customers. If nothing else, we need to do a better job explaining on our site how to limit damage to trees.

Thanks very much for giving me a chance to respond,

Spencer Clark

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey, that's great!

I've often wondered why manufacturers don't sell their products with straps right out of the box. Then, I go back and read older threads here and realize that we haven't been doing it that long. When Hammock Engineer sold me my HH at this past Trail Days he said: "or you could set it up with the ring buckle suspension that everyone is talking about these days". That was less than one year ago.

Tree Huggers are a start and I don't think it will be that long before we start to see strap systems come with most new hammocks. It is after all, in the best interest of the manufacturers to be environmentally sensitive. If all these restrictions we've been talking about recently start to spread the use and therefore, the sale, of hammocks will decrease.

At least we got another one visiting HF and reading about what we're doing to their products. I think that's a positive.

Images
    The man works on Sunday! I don't...I was hangin' out!

RE: Tree Straps...‏

Sent: Sun 11/04/07 8:54 PM
    To: mataharihiker@

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your email. I read the discussion you sent me about the tree straps with interest. Like I mentioned in the interview, Clark offers tree straps like many companies do. Our tree straps have been available for many years for the price of $5 to those who call and request them. The reason we have not incorporated the tree straps into our hammocks is because there are so many ways our customers suspend their hammocks. Everyone has their own method. We're going to continue striving to make perfect hammocks, and we'll let hammock campers decide which suspension system is best for them. Over time, there may begin to be some consensus about what kind of straps are most useful, and its likely we'll start making them standard to our hammocks at that time.

We try to be very responsive. People should spend less time complaining on forums and more time talking to the people who can actually change things. Your email gave us pause, and it made me think that we may have to re-set our priorities to keep up with the environmental needs of our customers. If nothing else, we need to do a better job explaining on our site how to limit damage to trees.

Thanks very much for giving me a chance to respond,

Spencer Clark
    That sounds disingenuous to me. I had several telephone conversations with Clark customer service before ordering a hammock by phone. I had several more telephone conversations before ordering a second hammock by phone. I spoke to the same person on each of those occasions, and I made it clear that I had never used a hammock before and I had asked specifically about how the hammock was attached to trees.

During one of those conversations the Clark customer service rep went into great detail about their special “slippery” rope and how it was superior for untying the bowline knot they suggested I use. They also told me, and it is true, that they have instructions for the bowline sewn into the tarp. At no time during any of those conversations did the Clark representative mention using or purchasing tree straps – but they did mention purchasing the XL tarp for $20 so apparently they have no problem promoting their accessory products during the sales calls. Moreover, there is no mention of any tree straps on their web site. His claim that Clark sells tree straps but doesn’t tell anyone about them is silly.

He could have done the right thing, admitted the error, and stated that Clark would correct the situation – instead he acted like the irresponsible automobile manufacturers who said “the Corvair is no more dangerous than any other car…the Pinto doesn’t explode on impact….consumers don’t need seat belts…etc, etc.”

Moreover, I see that he didn't respond to the "infalted zip lock bag" baloney.

And Spencer Clark’s pot shot – “People should spend less time complaining on forums and more time talking to the people who can actually change things.” is childish. He is an outright liar. His products can’t be trusted. I am definitely returning both of my Clark hammocks now and I would never recommend purchasing anything from their company.
    Last edited by nogods; 11-05-2007 at 13:22.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I disagree with your interpretation of Clark's email response, nogods...I do not, and have not read or heard anything that would make me think of him as an "outright liar" plus I believe Clark produces a superior product. I also agree with Spencer's comment, "People should spend less time complaining on forums and more time talking to the people who can actually change things."...however, if I haven't learned anything is 60 years, I've learned each of us hears and reads things differently through the filter of our brains...so it goes...

I feel Clark hammocks are definitely right up there insofar as quality goes and their product can certainly be trusted...I had mine in temps that dropped below freezing last week-end and think the Clark one of the best designed, well-constructed hammocks I've owned...

We do not have to agree with each other to appreciate the superiority of hammock camping...luckily there are plenty of products out there....

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    nogods I had to steal a line from your post "He could have done the right thing, admitted the error, and stated that Clark would correct the situation – instead he acted like the irresponsible automobile manufacturers who said “the Corvair is no more dangerous than any other car…the Pinto doesn’t explode on impact….consumers don’t need seat belts…etc, etc.”

That is so funny in all the years of driving the one car I loved the most was the corvair and I did own a pinto one time in colleage I have a lot of fond memory's in but those care the alfa remero pinto bean is what we called it.

logged alot of miles in both.

Thanks for bringing them both back in mermory for me I am still laughing at the thing's I did in those car's at a young age.
    dont want to rob the post just telling thanks now i need to go find pictures of those trips out west and those car's

thanks again

cavediver2

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast