WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles

Replacing Nano 7 Carabiners Safely?

I've seen a couple folks with Nano 7 hammocks replace the included carabiners in the end-channels with cord. For example Sgt. Rock posted a picture of his:

Can someone enlighten a newbie on how this can be done safely? Sgt Rock mentions he switched to Dynaglide whoopies and wrapped some paracord shell around them to keep it from sawing through the sewn channel. I get the general idea but I am not very familiar with knots and I've never tried a whoopie sling. I'm thinking about trying this but I'm not sure how to duplicate what you see above in the picture, and I don't want to end up on the ground

Any other suggestions on what I could do to replace the carabiners? For suspension the only thing on hand I have right now is JRB tri-glides + straps and a pair of dutch clips. I was thinking of trying the tri-glides backwards from the usual use, putting the dutch clips on the tree end, and the tri-glide adjustable buckle where it can be adjusted at the hammock end. That way I don't have to thread the tri-glide each time I set it up. Can I do that safely by putting a knot in the end of the hammock and attaching the strap with a larks head? If so how should I knot or ball the end of the hammock?

-Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I ran about a 6" piece of 7/16 tubular webbing thru the channel then ran my whoopies thru the tube of the webbing.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I put zip ties through the channels and then wrapped the whoopies behind the knob formed by the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Thanks for the suggestions... if/when I switch to Whoopies that gives me a couple ideas. Mike, when you used a zip tie did you just cinch it up and stick the whoopie over/around the lump in the fabric, or did you roll/knot the fabric first to build up more of a knob shape? I like the surgical tubing idea too, that'd be stiff enough to distribute the stress and protect from sawing.

For now what I ended up doing was taking the end of the tri-glides strap and just putting it through the channel. Simple enough, and it's wide enough that I don't feel too concerned about the stress on the seam. It works Ok for an adjustable suspension, if a little heavy - it weighs as much as the Nano itself

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Triglides w/straps and weight

20' of strap! 4.2 oz just for the webbing, add in the metal, and the weight is near what the hammock weighs with nothing in the sewn channel.

I believe the Sgt. has a loop in the end of the yellow cord. Yellow is fed through the outer black shell of some cord where he had stripped out the interior fibers. Black on yellow is in the sewn fabric channel. The yellow tail of B & Y is fed back throught the yellow loop protruding from the end of the channel. To prevent sawing, he placed the whipping on the B & Y, instead of on the fabric, as is commonly done. Just Jeff has whipping instructions at his website.

At the HF Suspension sub-forum, in the Single Line Suspension sticky, on page 3, Grizz has some excellent photos and suggestions for good whippings. Anyone is welcome to post a link there.
    Last edited by heyyou; 10-09-2010 at 02:04. Reason: had another thought, that doesn't happen very often

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    20' of strap! 4.2 oz just for the webbing, add in the metal, and the weight is near what the hammock weighs with nothing in the sewn channel.

[...]

Just Jeff has whipping instructions at his website.

At the HF Suspension sub-forum, in the Single Line Suspension sticky, on page 3, Grizz has some excellent photos and suggestions for good whippings. Anyone is welcome to post a link there.
    Yep, the Tri-Glides are heavier than I'd like for the nano... I bought some whoopie slings (just arrived last week) and they're replacing the Tri-Glides for weight reasons. I didn't set out to be a gram weenie per se, but it's just so tempting when your'e starting with such a light piece of gear

Thanks a ton for the pointers to whipping instructions (don't know how I missed that on JustJeff's site), that's exactly what I was looking for!

For the Nano (or any other channeled end hammock) you don't necessarily have to whip the ends! Unless you want/choose too!?!? On mine all I did was use the outer sheath of 550 paracord and put that over the whoopie (mine are dynaglide) and then just pass the whoopie (with the sheath over it) through the channel and then larksheaded it! Have had a bunch of nights in it without issue!

Not sure if this help's at all???
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Thanks CB... I ended up trying it this afternoon, worked great. I just like the whipping to keep a little larger loop in the larkshead. Keeps it from bunching up on itself as much.

I couldn't get 550 sheath to fit over the dynaglide though (waaaay too narrow), ended up using some plastic tubing I had instead. Did you have any trouble getting the 550 sheathing on there?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    I have dynaglide woopies on mine as well. No sheaths or anything, just through the channel. I have a good number of hangs on it with no signs of wear. Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"
    Awww... what's a hammock without swaying gently back and forth

It's probably not really needed, but it's thin cord and the sewn channel is designed for caribeeners to support and distribute the load. Color me paranoid but it makes me feel better

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast