Hammock
    WBBB dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 cat
    Insulation
    winter Ptarmigan
    Suspension
    BB web
    In bed, I normally sleep on my side to lessen the pressure on my lower back. In the hammock, I can sleep comfortably on my back, so I do. I would agree with Rev that you may need to raise the foot end a little.

I have spent 21 nights this spring and summer in the hammock. It really is the best sleep I get. Keep trying, the magic is there somewhere!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    finding the perfect trees on a trail in the piney woods & "jeff beck"-ing your rig for 2 hrs might generate some comfort.

i used to wigg out sleeping on my back. believe in it. you may find what you're looking for.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    To get your foot end higher than your head just adjust your ring buckles from the ground level. That's the wonderful thing about that system. You don't have to adjust the tree levels as much. Just make sure that you keep enough sag in the suspension system so you maintain that 30* (or so) angle from horizontal.
    Thanks Rev, I got that. I was responding to the ladder and putting the straps up higher comment. I can't imagine going higher would help, but yes, I'm going to try and get the foot end even higher via strap adjustment and see if that helps get my torso towards the head end more.

The slide to the bottom of the hammock was even more pronounced with a 50lb Pitbull sleeping across me. I woke up at one point with my feet *past* the gathered end!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Alternative to high strap attachments?

Possibly try fabricating a couple of bipods from 2x4s. Size them so that when splayed the tops are around 6-7 feet above the ground. Locate the bipods within a foot of the hammock ends, affix your strap system via wrapping or any method you choose, and run the remaining straps horizontally to the trees.

You will be able to adjust the overall tension and sag more easily. You can lower the head end by splaying the bipod more, or locating it farther from the hammock.

Obviously you will not want to backpack with this rig, but it is good for testing.

Jim

Oh, yeah - you could do this with only one bipod - it would make raising the foor end easier too.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Possibly try fabricating a couple of bipods from 2x4s. Size them so that when splayed the tops are around 6-7 feet above the ground. Locate the bipods within a foot of the hammock ends, affix your strap system via wrapping or any method you choose, and run the remaining straps horizontally to the trees.

You will be able to adjust the overall tension and sag more easily. You can lower the head end by splaying the bipod more, or locating it farther from the hammock.

Obviously you will not want to backpack with this rig, but it is good for testing.

Jim

Oh, yeah - you could do this with only one bipod - it would make raising the foor end easier too.
    I've seen others do that...it's a pretty slick idea, but I'm working on talking my finace into letting me plant a 6"X6" post in the yard at that magic 15' distance. The only problem with the back yard is we have a (BIG) dog that drops yard bombs the size of an elephants. No matter how much I pick up, there's always more hidden out there.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm gonna swim against the current here and suggest that your straps are too high up. I've hung from trees 20'+ apart on backpacking trips many a time and never have my straps higher than I can reach standing flat footed on the ground. Try this and see how it works for you. Also, how you lay in the hammock is just as important as how you hang your hammock. Are you laying on the asym with your feet in the footbox? Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Whatever you go with, I hope you find your sweet spot soon!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'm gonna swim against the current here and suggest that your straps are too high up. I've hung from trees 20'+ apart on backpacking trips many a time and never have my straps higher than I can reach standing flat footed on the ground. Try this and see how it works for you. Also, how you lay in the hammock is just as important as how you hang your hammock. Are you laying on the asym with your feet in the footbox? Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Whatever you go with, I hope you find your sweet spot soon!
    I started with the straps at head height and worked up from there.

I hope I find the sweet spot soon too!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I wonder if a bridge style hammock would work better? If you're a side sleeper and the WBBB doesn't work out, then going with a straight gathered end hammock is likely going to be worse (Clark, Claytor, etc).
    Might see if you can attend a hang and try out someone's JRB (or other) bridge hammock.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Don't give up. It took me at least 4 or 5 nights out if I recall to get comfortable and used to sleeping on my back in my hammock. Now I sleep great every time out. At home I only sleep on my side but I have adapted to back sleeping in the Blackbird and have no issues anymore going between side sleeping at home and back sleeping in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I frequently sleep on my side and have found that a pillow between the knees is a big help. On my back the pillow is under both knees.

Also try extending one leg to almost straight and have the the other leg with the knee forward and the foot near the knee of the straight leg. Some call this the #4 position because you legs take the shape of that number.

Finally in a hammock side sleeping doesn't require that your body be vertical. The hammock can support you in a positions that are in between side and back sleep.

Good luck.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast