Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Hey there! Awesome pics and setup! I know this post is 10 years old - hopefully you are still on the forum! Question if you are: Where approximately is this? Looking at doing some similar style canoe camping in IL but the only places I know of are in WI (Wisconsin River, various flowages, etc). No permit/etc needed to camp on the sandbars on the Illinois River? Thanks for any information you have!

-Noah

Quote Originally Posted by banjonoah View Post
    Hey there! Awesome pics and setup! I know this post is 10 years old - hopefully you are still on the forum! Question if you are: Where approximately is this? Looking at doing some similar style canoe camping in IL but the only places I know of are in WI (Wisconsin River, various flowages, etc). No permit/etc needed to camp on the sandbars on the Illinois River? Thanks for any information you have!

-Noah
    I live in this area. He started In Pekin he said so that would be just south of Peoria Illinois which is situated in central Illinois on Route 74 and also on the Illinois River. I do not know for sure the law's of camping on the Illinois River but I think anytime you touch land you would be on private property for the route the OP took. He may have belonged to one of 2 private campgrounds along the way (Manito boat and camp club on the east side and Rivers Edge campground on the west) or he may have "stealth" camped. It looked like they had a good time. A lot of boat and barge traffic on this route but a stop to hang out at the mouth of the Makinaw would have been nice if it wasn't too crowded. Great sand there.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Images
    There is a state park in Channahon IL with camping and a place to leave your car. I have put in the DuPage River there and paddled down to a primitive camp ground on the IL River. There is no drinking water at the camp ground just a outhouse, table, and a fire pit. The next day I paddled back to my car in Channahon. Sometimes there will be an announcement about a group hang/ hike in under OUTINGS-MIDQWEST https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hp/114-Midwest

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBOZax View Post
    I live in this area. He started In Pekin he said so that would be just south of Peoria Illinois which is situated in central Illinois on Route 74 and also on the Illinois River. I do not know for sure the law's of camping on the Illinois River but I think anytime you touch land you would be on private property for the route the OP took. He may have belonged to one of 2 private campgrounds along the way (Manito boat and camp club on the east side and Rivers Edge campground on the west) or he may have "stealth" camped. It looked like they had a good time. A lot of boat and barge traffic on this route but a stop to hang out at the mouth of the Makinaw would have been nice if it wasn't too crowded. Great sand there.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Wow thanks for all of this info! This is helpful!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    There is a state park in Channahon IL with camping and a place to leave your car. I have put in the DuPage River there and paddled down to a primitive camp ground on the IL River. There is no drinking water at the camp ground just a outhouse, table, and a fire pit. The next day I paddled back to my car in Channahon. Sometimes there will be an announcement about a group hang/ hike in under OUTINGS-MIDQWEST https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hp/114-Midwest
    Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to try a little paddle overnighter. Hope to make it to a group hang sometime as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12