Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

I'm just wondering when it will compromise the down quilts? If you expect heavy rain, do you protect your quilts with some kind of extra layer?

I've used my poncho as a "quilt protector" before. I sewed small grosgrain loops on the four corners of the poncho and suspend the poncho loosely under the quilt. Some grosgrain and a few feet of shockcord did the trick.
    Blocks a lot of wind, protects the quilt from rainsplash. Leaving the hood opened seemed to diminish any condensation worries. If it is really cold, using the poncho under the uq provides another dead air space as well.
    I can also hang the poncho over the hammock ridgeline, adds a few degrees of warmth, if needed.
    I carry the poncho anyway so using it for multipurpose made sense.

Staking the tarp down tight to the ground (especially on the windward side) helps prevent alot of wind driven rain from getting in the tarp.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I've used my poncho as a "quilt protector" before. I sewed small grosgrain loops on the four corners of the poncho and suspend the poncho loosely under the quilt. Some grosgrain and a few feet of shockcord did the trick. ... I carry the poncho anyway so using it for multipurpose made sense.

Same here, except in my case I use an over-sized blaze orange pack cover. For me, it's my blaze orange in hunting season, it's my pack cover, and it's my under-shield, all in one.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

2Q & ZQ sells a quilt protector.
    Last edited by jtbradyl; 09-01-2010 at 08:22.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Has anybody ever tried something like this? If it does what they claim, it should keep hammock and underquilt breathable, but should keep water from soaking it... I assume it would be the most lightweight option?

From nanotechnology site: "Percenta AG is a wholesale company for products based on chemical nanotechnology and provides purchase prices only on presentation of a trade certificate." I believe that I have read somewhere that at present nanotechnology is something of a myth. The possibilities are there but that's about it.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Well if the rain drops were in fact caused by rain splash or blown rain, a weather shield would offer much more protection to keep the down from getting wet. YMMV

I have a silnylon weather shield from 2Q/ZQ that works very well (and weighs almost nothing at all), but because the silnylon prevents breathability it is very important to employ a vapor barrier between the hammock bottom and the weather shield, especially when you are using a top quilt. This is no problem for myself since I have a double layer WB traveler and always carry a space blanket bivy. 2Q was the person that pointed out this very important detail to me, and I found it to be the case.

Now, with all of that said...I believe if the weather shield is breatheable material than you don't have to have a vapor barrier installed.

The weather shield also adds some added insulation as stated prior, but it can also be used as a pack cover/hiker cover/wind block/sunvisor and other useful wind and precip protection when you need something quick!

I have found it to be a very useful piece of gear, so it rides along with the other stuff my cottage industry friends have contributed to my pack, and whenever I am all hunkered down under it and enjoying a quick rain shower I just think to myself "2Q/ZQ made this for me...how did they know I was going to need this, at this time? That is what friends are for!"

Oh....this olde' halfling sure does like to go wanderin' though the forest with his buddies...even when he goes solo.

And as always HYOH/YMMV
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    What I expericenced in my deluge was not enough to concern me if I had a down quilt in place. The DWR would have been more than enough to stop the moisture.

I would be more concerned about the down in a heavy fog or a soggy day that just keeps raining all day than I was in the thunderstorm I rode out.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Same thing happened to me once in my Contrail TT. No mist, drops of rain. However it poured for 11 hours, hard rain. I guess it is to be expected with a heavy downpour.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Could I use a Tyvek ground sheet as a quilt protector in those situations where the weather is this bad? I would carry that anyway, so it would save weight.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    I have a silnylon weather shield from 2Q/ZQ that works very well (and weighs almost nothing at all), but because the silnylon prevents breathability it is very important to employ a vapor barrier between the hammock bottom and the weather shield, especially when you are using a top quilt. This is no problem for myself since I have a double layer WB traveler and always carry a space blanket bivy. 2Q was the person that pointed out this very important detail to me, and I found it to be the case.
    Noob question here but...why?

-jeff

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast