Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Discuss - Hammock Glossary

This is a companion thread to the Hammock Glossary in the Articles section.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Looks good Jeff. One thing I think could help a new comer to this forum is an acrymon list. i.e JRB, KAQ, HH all the abvrations that everyone uses.

Hammock
    DIY 4x9 1.1 oz ripstop (5.3 oz)
    Tarp
    ZPack Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    DG UCRs, Mule Tape
    Images
    Suggestions:

silnylon - a waterproof, silicone-impregnated, 1.1 oz ripstop nylon which ends up weighing about 1.3 oz per square yard. Used for tarps and other hammock projects

sewn darts - Z shaped overlap way to shorten the edge of a piece of material. Several darts used on each edge can create a pouch like effect for the enclosed perimeter of the cloth.

quilt loops - single tied stitches from one side of a quilt or under insulation that are often used with batting insulation.

zigzig stitch - stitch used to allow the long length of a stitched line to grow with nylon cloth when it stretches under load.

noseeum - netting similar to mosquito netting but with smaller holes. Used to keep insects out of hammocks and to separate down tubes in some quilt construction.

grosgrain - (pronounced "grow grain") a ribbon like material used as a structural element on some designs of bug netting, allowing tension to be pulled on the netting without ripping the cloth.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-12-2006 at 19:29. Reason: Terms added to glossary
    Rick (Risk) Website: http://www.imrisk.com
    I cook. I sew. I walk. I lead. I hang. I write. I play.
    Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.amazon.com/Wildly-Success.../dp/B00COCI5HW

I have seen DWR mentioned..what is that?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Durable Water Repellent (DWR) finishes are hydrophobic coatings applied to fabrics to make them water-resistant by causing water to bead up and roll off fabrics, rather than soaking into them. They are often used in conjunction with certain waterproof/breathable fabrics to prevent the outer layer of a laminated waterproof/breathable from becoming saturated with water. Maintaining the DWR is critical to maintaining the breathable nature of waterproof/breathable outerwear.

Despite the name, durable water repellent finishes tend to wear off and may need to be re-applied from time to time. The application method will probably make a big difference in the DWR you choose to use. Some, like the Nikwax boot finish, are thick pastes that are applied by hand while the vast majority can be poured or sprayed on. Many are applied by adding to a regular wash cycle in a washing machine.

Common brands of DWR finishes include:

* Nikwax (uses patented wax-based elastomer - non fluoropolymer)

* Granger's (fluoropolymer base)

* Tectron (fluoropolymer base)

* ReviveX (no information available, most likely industry standard; fluoropolymer base)

* Deluge (fluoropolymer base)
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-12-2006 at 18:48.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Durable Water Repellent (DWR) finishes are hydrophobic coatings applied to fabrics to make them water-resistant by causing water to bead up and roll off fabrics, rather than soaking into them. They are often used in conjunction with certain waterproof/breathable fabrics to prevent the outer layer of a laminated waterproof/breathable from becoming saturated with water. Maintaining the DWR is critical to maintaining the breathable nature of waterproof/breathable outerwear.

is that the fabric people are buying from WM at the $1 bin

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    is that the fabric people are buying from WM at the $1 bin
    i belive some of it could be. some of the stuff i`ve found has been treated w/ something, but it would be hard for me to say what with.
    my un-educated guess would be that some is DWR & some of it has some kind of a heaver coating applyed to it. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Regular ripstop is a pretty common find at Walmart dollar bins and works great for hammocks. DWR ripstop is not as common but still a pretty regular find - also great for hammocks, quilt shells, windsuits, etc. Silnylon is waterproof and non-breathable, and an uncommon find in most dollar bins.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Regular ripstop is a pretty common find at Walmart dollar bins and works great for hammocks. DWR ripstop is not as common but still a pretty regular find - also great for hammocks, quilt shells, windsuits, etc. Silnylon is waterproof and non-breathable, and an uncommon find in most dollar bins.
    this may have been discussed, if so send me to that thread. How do you tell the difference between all of them?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can easily blow through regular ripstop, it frays easily, and water will drip through it quickly.

DWR is difficult to blow through, it frays pretty easily, and water will bead up for a short time depending on the treatment. It will eventually wet out and water will drip through.

You can't blow through silnylon, it doesn't fray when new*, and it's completely waterproof for most hiker applications (i.e. you can make tarps or waterbags out of it).

* The edges may have some threads poking out that looks like it's fraying...run your nail across it and see if you can pull off some of the longer threads. If the fraying doesn't get any worse, it's more likely silnylon than DWR.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast