ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    untie and retie the strap --h.

It's not a tie, it's a Marlin spike hitch. Look at Professor Hammocks youtuibe viedeo--he does it twice in, like ten seconds. See it at 7:55min, just as on the link I showed you. It's not a tie, it's a hitch.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK, so I got my first set of Dutch Clips. It's recommended to attach them permanently to the loop. But this would mean that you are not able to use the marlin spike hitch to shorten the tree hugger, right?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You will have no problem using the Marlin spike hitch with that set up. Just tie the slip knot in the webbing and add a toggle.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You will have no problem using the Marlin spike hitch with that set up. Just tie the slip knot in the webbing and add a toggle.
    I guess you mean to use the slip knot and toggle on the side that attaches to the whoopie sling, right? On my current set-up, the whoopie sling is permanently attached to the tree hugger

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is a great method and it is called the all in one. You don't need the marlin spike hitch then.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I guess you mean to use the slip knot and toggle on the side that attaches to the whoopie sling, right? On my current set-up, the whoopie sling is permanently attached to the tree hugger
    You can use the toggle method with the all in one. You only need it if your trees are to close together, however.

In order to do this youll need a soft shackle. What youll do is set your MSH in your strap after going around your tree, then insert the soft shackle into the rope thimble on the fixed eye of the sling and close it. After that, place the soft shackle over the toggle. There will be a length of strap dangling between the MSH and where it attaches to the rope thimble.

Even though Im not using the thimble end in the vid, it should give you the basic idea.

EDIT: A description of the components so you can piece it together....

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    I'm running into the very same problem...i ordered the "all in one" system and the tree hugger straps are way to large when combined with the length of the whoopies. I love the whoopies, but need to shorten the straps that go around the tree and connect with my Dutch clips. I ordered the largest size based on using Hennessy huggers in the past (needed the redwood ones here in Oregon). The only real solution i can come up with is cutting the huggers and then re-sewing a loop on the cut end. The other end has a fixed sewn in eye that can't be removed. A marlin spike hitch might work if attatched to the Dutch clip, but would reduce/weaken the webbing.

BF

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    I'm running into the very same problem...i ordered the "all in one" system and the tree hugger straps are way to large when combined with the length of the whoopies. I love the whoopies, but need to shorten the straps that go around the tree and connect with my Dutch clips. I ordered the largest size based on using Hennessy huggers in the past (needed the redwood ones here in Oregon). The only real solution i can come up with is cutting the huggers and then re-sewing a loop on the cut end. The other end has a fixed sewn in eye that can't be removed. A marlin spike hitch might work if attatched to the Dutch clip, but would reduce/weaken the webbing.

BF
    It wont weaken the webbing to any point you would need to be concerned about. Thousands of folks using the MSH and I havent heard of 1 webbing failure yet. Some of us are pushing or over 300 pounds.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have been going back and forth over the possible solutions. Up to now, it seems to be the easiest to stick with biners when using the all-in-one. Then use either a MSH or a tri-glide (which adds weight but looks cleaner) to shorten the huggers.

I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to shorten the huggers on the side they connect to the Whoopies in order to use permanently attached Dutch Clips. I could do it they way Opie suggests - but this also means added hardware (the toggle). Somehow I think it might be easier to get rid of the permanent attachment (tree hugger to whoopie sling) and use a toggle.

I'm only a newbie, but I think that a Dutch Biner with integrated tri-glides (as suggested by XexorZ) would be the ultimate solution to a lot of problems:

- it would be reasonably light (probably a bit heavier than the standard Dutch Clips, but lighter than a biner)
    - the clip can easily be attached and detached without tools
    - the suspension system does not need to have any loose parts that could be lost or forgotten
    - the tree huggers would be fully adjustable

I like the whoopie slings. But I have to say, that the stock Warbonnet suspension is the most simple system. If it wouldn't be that difficult to fine tune, I would stick with it. I still might go back to it anyway. I found it to be the best system if you have distances that vary greatly.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I'm a complete noob but the stock webbing suspension on my WBBB seems to answer all of the issues previously stated. It looks just like the picture that OldGringo posted. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...4&d=1283258899)

With the possible exception of total weight, doesn't this setup basically answer all the issues raised? Adjustable tree hugger, adjustable suspension, works at all practical tree distances and girths, all in one with the exception of the Dutch clip or biner.

What am I missing other than the justifiable techno-geek factor?

-jeff

EDIT: I certainly mean no disrespect to Opie or whoopieslings, it's an honest question.
    Last edited by Roundtrip; 10-05-2010 at 17:10.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast