Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images

Just not sure...need help for a noob

So, I'm looking at UQs, TQs and wrap-around insulation options. I'm just not sure what to do.

I'm only 5'4", so I always have PLEANTY of hammock at my head and feet. I'm afraid if I go with a wrap-around option like the peapod, I'll end up burrito'd inside and getting clamy/wet/cold due to condensation.

If I go with just a UQ, I'll have to invest/figure out which options is best and has the least "dead space" between me and it. AND I have to figure out how to keep warm on top.

Not even sure what to do about the use of the TQ. I might just go with a heavyily insulated sleeping bag.

I'm a stomach sleeper by nature, so I imagine I'll be a diagonal side sleeper in the hang. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Might want to try looking these threads over-

TQ- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=87

UQ- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=88

or the Home Page Index- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/

Hope this helps. By the way, if you're new to HF, WELCOME

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm 5'4 and a bit stocky... the warbonnet yeti (uq) and black mamba regular (tq) works perfectly for me. I'm also mostly a belly sleeper and I find sleeping on my back in the black bird is very comfortable.

Here's a video of the winter versions of the items I just described... You can see how the black mamba fits around a 5'4" body

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFsEoyChPo
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 08-24-2010 at 18:15.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    +1 on mtncmpr and Raul. I'm a shorty as well. I'm also a belly sleeper, and I am invariably comfortable on my back in the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    mtncmpr: Thanks for the links. I am about a noobiest as noob when it comes to hammock hanging. I've read through a lot, but there's just so much darn information (good thing) that I find myself overwhelmed. One minute I've settled on something...the next minute I'm not sure because of some other review/picture/description. Not a bad thing...just means there's a ton of quality choices.

Raul: Thank man. That was exactly was I needed to help me settle on a cold weather solution...input from someone with a similar build and sleeping habits!

SilverbackBob: Thanks for the input as well. Glad to hear bellyrockers sleep just fine in the hang. I was a bit worried that I'd find this new venture to be a bust after I sank so much investment into it. Reading that you and Raul sleep great is reassuring. Thanks again.

Cheers to all,
    Kyle

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Talk to Stormcrow....he makes some really nice quilts
    and at a good price
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    mtncmpr: Thanks for the links. I am about a noobiest as noob when it comes to hammock hanging. I've read through a lot, but there's just so much darn information (good thing) that I find myself overwhelmed. One minute I've settled on something...the next minute I'm not sure because of some other review/picture/description. Not a bad thing...just means there's a ton of quality choices.

Raul: Thank man. That was exactly was I needed to help me settle on a cold weather solution...input from someone with a similar build and sleeping habits!

SilverbackBob: Thanks for the input as well. Glad to hear bellyrockers sleep just fine in the hang. I was a bit worried that I'd find this new venture to be a bust after I sank so much investment into it. Reading that you and Raul sleep great is reassuring. Thanks again.

Cheers to all,
    Kyle

I still consider myself a newbie too, Kyle. I've been hangin' approx a year now. The way I've gone about learning is to read as much info as I possibly can. I've had great advice/tips from individuals as well. I do advise any newbies to view Shug's videos on the basics http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516

All the info housed on HF certainly can be overwhelming, but as you read more and more, you'll see the "big picture" coming together. If you can, put your hammock up in the yard and try out the things that sound worth trying out.

In most cases, there is not just 1 right way to do things. Find what makes you feel comfortable, works for you, and go with that. HYOH (hike your own hike)

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    greenlespaul: Thanks for the suggestion. I just may have to do that.

mtncmpr: Yeah man, I hear ya. I did watch Shug's and a host of other famous folks from here. It certainly helped to shorten the learning curve. Gotta love Youtube!

In other areas of interest, I tend to go the customized (expensive) route. I usually have specific needs/ideas/requirements. But that level of knowledge tends to only come after spending a lot of time/money researching and using off-the-shelf products. Most of my shooting gear is customized and I think this will end up being the same way. BUT, all of the help from you fine folks is certainly helping me get started in the right direction...so again, hats off to you guys.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Well, thanks to Fishbone, my first piece of insulation gear will be the JRB HR. I liked the flexibility it offered me and based upon my experience, I can determine what TQ/UQ to purchase later. I think I'm all set now for the October MAHHA hang!

Cheers,
    Kyle

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    Talk to Stormcrow....he makes some really nice quilts
    and at a good price
    Im gonna have to second that suggestion. He is very willing to personalize gear for example if you want your TQ to be a bit shorter to save weight or less bulk in the hammock im sure he will be happy to do so, Im also a big fan of his 3/4 UQ. Enough coverage (goes from my shoulders to half way down calf use a pad for the feet and an AHE pillow) its very easy to vent and has excellet baffeling. Im also a belly layer and hate sleeping on my back in a bed but love sleeping diagnoley in my hamock.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts