Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    ... Need to figure out how to get it tighter as I seem to have a little lack in varies areas when guy'd out. I use four guy location, two at corners and two at halfway points on long sides...
    has anyone tried adding pull outs? One on each side, adjacent to the head and feet could allow for a bit tighter pitch... maybe. Would that give a bit better weather protection?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Tonight is the first time I noticed this thread. This would have been great for my nephew's setup. I was thinking of ease of setup for him. I may make one like this and "reclaim" the larger 10x10 he has now.

Thanks.

cutter

Images
    Truly amazing results! My stock HH Explorer diamond is 5" longer at the RL than your tarp(not sure about width). And I have never trusted it to keep me dry in wind driven rain without the SS undercover. I have left it pitched(WITH the SS pad and UC) during horrendous tornado warning storms, completely exposed hung between the only two trees in the backyard. I felt sure the winds would destroy the tarp and hammock. But the only moisture was maybe a tablespoon in the low point of the UC.

Was your tarp tied to the trees, rather than to the hammock suspension HH style? If so, what was your technique for keeping the tarp close to the hammock/RL after your body weight caused the hammock to sag? Just attaching the hammock suspension higher on the trees than the tarp suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    The ridgeline is floppy in mine also. The sides are not. One thing that helped was to hang it a loose on the ridgeline and pull the sides very tight. Then I raised the ridgeline a little. It didn't allow much. I didn't really care about the floppy, especially after the wind it withstood. ..........
    BTW, that is the technique HH has long recommended for using their diamond tarp. Leaving the loose on top and tightening the sides first, then tightening up the RL/ends as needed. Took me a while to realize that!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-02-2010 at 10:22.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Anyone try one of these in Cuben Fiber? I'm about to go ahead and do one, but I'd like to hear from someone who loves theirs. It would be for a through hike in Maryland on the AT in June, and will replace my 4-season sil-nylon which weighs in at about 2lbs.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Anyone try one of these in Cuben Fiber? I'm about to go ahead and do one, but I'd like to hear from someone who loves theirs. It would be for a through hike in Maryland on the AT in June, and will replace my 4-season sil-nylon which weighs in at about 2lbs.
    I have not worked with cuben, but I understand it doesn't really stretch. The little amount of stretch along the bias of sil actually helps tension the sides, but causes the ridgeline to be a little floppy.

No way to know until you try it.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Cuban Fiber has a roll width of 54". I did a test run with 3mil poly, with a base width of 54", 132" ridgeline, and 88" side tie-outs.

The moc-Cuban did not have enough coverage for me. I'm afraid anything other than the slightest sprinkle will end up with wet gear.The 8" difference on the roll width really hurts this design.

I either need to do this in Sil-Nylon, or go with a larger ridge seam design Cuben.

Images
    I am endlessly amazed at some of the storms people occasionally report staying dry through with these diamond tarps. I have always felt so exposed on the sides near the ends. Were you hanging the tarp from the trees or from the hammock suspension? ( I assume the trees) But I feel even more exposed when the tarp is attached from the trees and my hammock sags away from the tarp. I feel like even slight wind blown rain would get me wet.

However, I have often used these tarps with a HH Super Shelter. If you can stay dry with just the tarp, you can imagine how bombproof things would be with the addition of a sil-nylon UC.

does it make a difference to cat-cut these tarps? I am about to hem the edges of mine but I am not sure wither I should cat-cut the edges or not and if I should do the typical 1" per foot ratio....

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_48 View Post
    does it make a difference to cat-cut these tarps? I am about to hem the edges of mine but I am not sure wither I should cat-cut the edges or not and if I should do the typical 1" per foot ratio....
    No need to cat cut.

I hate threads that make me drag out the machine, buy more material and make another tart when I already have three...thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345