Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Query about mosquito protection

Hi guys,

I've been using an HH Exped. Asym, with built in mossie net over the top, and an ENO double, with a mossie net tied over the top and draping below as well. Both good hammocks, IMO, and each with their own pros & cons.

I'm currently planning a trip next year in the North of Australia - hot and humid, with plenty of mossies, and a thought occured to me: With any of the hammocks with built in mossie nets, as opposed to the ones where the net is erected separately, and hangs below as well as over the top, what's to stop the mossies from biting you on the bum?

So far, I've been using pads or the Super shelter system, due to cold nights, and with either one, naturally, a mossie's spike (what's it's real name?) wouldn't penetrate through to a person's body above. However, in the hot humid conditions expected, I wouldn't want to be using any kind of insulation below me whilst I sleep.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this matter, (other than simply not using my HH?)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have a hammock w a built in TOP Mossie net, & yes, in the summer I have been bit through the nylon by very small mossies (About the size of this o or smaller.) so I sewed a extra piece of netting under the bottom of my hammock, just in the area of where I lay. I have yet to be bitten through the double layer of netting & nylon, but then I have yet to hike where the BIG mossies are

You could try that. I have it so that the netting hangs just a bit loose it dosn't actually hang away from the nylon when I am in the hammock it just isn't stretched tight. I think it adds about 4 - 5 Oz to my set up.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziepom View Post
    Hi guys,

So far, I've been using pads or the Super shelter system, due to cold nights, and with either one, naturally, a mossie's spike (what's it's real name?) wouldn't penetrate through to a person's body above. However, in the hot humid conditions expected, I wouldn't want to be using any kind of insulation below me whilst I sleep.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this matter, (other than simply not using my HH?)
    I believe that the "spike" is called a proboscis. I would also surmize that they don't actually bite, but it works much like a needle when you get a shot.

I have used a JRB Weathershield in warmer weather if the skeeters are bad. I recently bought an ENO and netting, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Mossies huh... i like that<g>.
    welcome to HF ozziepom. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Yeah that's good Aussie slang for ya...

As for the issues... WELLLLLLL...

1)I agree, you won't want ANY more insulation that you have to have up there... Pads are definitely out... I spent a couple weeks in NE Oz... HOT and HUMID!!!

2)Mozzies will without a doubt be able to bit through most fabrics, not all and not all the time, but some. The proboscis (yes proboscis is correct -the joys of being raised by a biologist) in smaller mosquitos will be more likely to penetrate tightly woven fabrics because its finer in diameter. ...

3)I'd go with the extra layer of netting sewn loosely over the bottom in your situation as the lightest and least warm solution.

4)FWIW if you think the mozzies are bad there you need to come visit Northern Ontario in June... Makes down under seem mozzie free. At least when I was visiting I hardly noticed them even when the locals were complaining bitterly.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    If I'm not mistaken, the point of the double bottom on the jungle hammocks was to prevent getting bitten through the bottom. On the Hennessy Website, they say

Please note, however we do not recommend that you put your bare skin against the hammock fabric. It is common knowlege that extremely persistent mosquitoes can penetrate almost any single layer of woven material, even a heavy pair of jeans, but have very little chance of biting through multiple layers of fabric. Although tropical fabrics for shirts and pants are usually more tightly woven and provide better protection than other clothing. we recommend that hammock users take extra precautions to prevent being stung through the hammock body. We are regularily updating our website with information about the need to wear clothing in the hammmock or place multiple layers of fabric, a pad, or a sleeping bag into the bottom of the
    hammock to make it impossible for mosquitoes to bite through. The Hennessy Hammock's patented "hold-outs" on each side keep the netting well away from your face and the high fabric sides help minimize the chance of being bitten through the netting. Remember also to protect yourself in camp when you are outside the hammock.

anybody else thinking of the jumbo mosquitos from the robin williams movie jumaji?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    anybody else thinking of the jumbo mosquitos from the robin williams movie jumaji?
    After meeting the "mossies" in Ontario Canada, I thought the ones in Jumanji rather tiny & non aggressive in comparison.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Q; Why did the Aussie put the mossie net under his hammock?

A; He didn’t want to get bit in the Land Down Under.
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-18-2007 at 16:34.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Dutch,

Shouldn't that be "...bit on the gland down under?"

Thanks for the inputs guys. Looks like I'll be sticking with the ENO for this trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast