Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Aluminized Sleeping Pad

John N. sent me this review on email...has anyone on this side of the pond tried this pad? Similar to a windshield reflector but John thinks it's better.

It's about 70" x 23.6" and 3.5 oz.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HIGHLANDER-A...1914839&sr=8-1

One thing that most people do not seem to grasp is that sleeping mats are primarily for insulation and not for cushioning. Generally speaking, the more the mat is cushioned, the bulkier and heavier it is. This mat weighs practically nothing - OK, 100g, which is insignificant, and it also folds up into a really small package. The great thing about the aluminized surface coating is that it reflects heat in the same way that it reflects light (elementary physics!), thus reflecting back the heat from your body while keeping out the cold. There is also a thin layer of foam between the aluminized sheets in the mat's construction and this contributes to its insulative qualities whilst also providing a modicum of cushioning. I've used this item both on the ground and within a hammock and I have no hesitation in saying that this is far superior to a normal closed cell mat system. For added comfort and insulation I use a self-inflating mat, thus enjoying the best of both worlds. This mat is inexpensive, light, waterproof, compact and comfortable, and possesses highly efficient insulation. You could, of course, use a car windsheild sun reflector - it's made of the same stuff, but this mat is longer and you haven't got a cut-out half way down to allow for a rear-view mirror! Highly recommended.

And:

This review is from: HIGHLANDER ALUMINIUM FOIL CAMPING SLEEPING MAT ROLL PAD (Misc.)

I bought this to use in a camping hammock, so comfort provided by cushioning wasn't an issue - you can't get better comfort than just the hammock. However, you really do need to have your underside protected from the cold. Your sleeping bag will be compressed and lose its loft, plus wind-chill becomes a problem. I found this mat to be excellent. Its insulative properties are superlative, given the thin mat is aluminised on both sides. You only have to place your hand on the thing to see how warm it is going to be - heat is reflected straight back, and, of course, there's no wind-chill. The only reason I've only given this four stars is the shipping costs! It weighs practically nothing and it stays sandwiched between the double layers of the bottom of my DD hammock, and if you have to pack it away then it folds up really small to put back in its elastic straps, but come on! Three quid for the almost weightless and unbreakable product, and then four quid postage! This is borderline rip off. Having said that, I would still recommend it. It has served me well, it's warm, durable, and is bendy enough to easily slip into the hammock without removing it. Just lower the shipping a tad and you'd have got five stars. PS: My apologies to the provider! Either they've lowered the shipping cost or I hadn't been paying attention in the first place. Sorry if that was the case. Anyway, great value and it's now got five stars. Highly recommended. An update review is on the other seller's site, this being after I've used this mat in many and various situations, both on the ground and in a hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Though i´m not on your side of the pond i´ve used one of those for years(until my dog ate it) it cant be beat for warmt to weight ratio. But i find that laying in my hammock, it´s still to narrow and to slippery. And if you´re "bony"(well very skinny)and a side sleeper, you will get cold!
    The way i used it was to extend the season of my sleepingbag(used like a peapod) which would me give about 20f worth of extra insulation..
    But used in conjunction with another UQ/pad it´s great.
    Just my 0.02cents

-Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Thermarest seems to think the aluminum is better:

Thermarest Solar

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    for those looking to avoid the notch for the rear view mirror that was mentioned, you can buy similar reflective insulation at lowes.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    for those looking to avoid the notch for the rear view mirror that was mentioned, you can buy similar reflective insulation at lowes.
    It's called Reflectix, there are a number of threads here on it.

This camping pad looks different, though..
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Great stuff Jeff.

This is just what ive been looking for- no more duct taping windshield reflectors together-two of these taped down the middle would be spot on.

This would make a good groundsheet too for those unfortunate ground dwelling times.
    Last edited by turnerminator; 08-18-2010 at 14:21.

Hammock
    SBP
    Tarp
    Ewotah 10x10
    Insulation
    USGI Woobie
    Suspension
    JRB
    Car shades are even cheaper

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Summer Set
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hey Jeff
    any condensation problems with it. I've tried the sun shades and woke up wet every morning

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't tried this one...someone just sent me a review, and the product was a little different from others I've seen so I posted it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts