Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So this thread got me thinking, I have an old one of these...http://www.ratpadz.com/ It just happens to be the right size to fit into my pack as a type of support. With the contour against the tree and tied with a bungee cord or shock cord and supported in the front with a trek pole or something along those lines.

I have seen some sorta like this but made of metal, I already have this piece of useless plastic on hand and it is pretty light, And above all I can do this on the cheap. =)
    Last edited by Overgrown; 05-02-2012 at 22:22.
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

It may not hang from a tree, but

This frequent youtuber and serious stove craftsman has a sweet little woodtable design that could be adapted to other and possibly lighter materials. Did I say this guy is a craftsman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjqj...7&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    I'm interested in making a hanging table. Similar to something like this- http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Expone...etosecrpack-20

I might just buy one of these and just use the table part. It says 20oz. I'm wondering how much the table part weighs. I figure I could ditch the strap (hang it from my hammock suspension strap), ditch the clamps/hangers, and replace the rope with amsteel or zing it. I'm wondering what the end weight would be?

Does any one have any experience with one of these? How strong and stable is the table? They say it will hold 25 lbs.

If I did it myself what could I make the table out of to be lighter? I'm thinking flat aluminum strips with a piece on each end perpendicular but then how do I hold it together? In theory it would pack up small. Another thing would just be a solid table that didn't break down, maybe a cutting board but how thick would that have to be to stay flat?

I mostly overnight hike with my kids, to have a food prep area out of the dirt would be worth the weight on short hikes with them. Even a flat leg less table would be nice. I guess I don't need to hang it, I could always find something in the woods to use as legs.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    JC: I like your table better than the store bought one!! Now you can make yourself a mug slinger: mugslinger.jpg

to hang your cup from your ridge line in the hammock. I made one and I like it. Be sure to use a mug with a top. Thanks for posting this idea!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings

Tree table

Sousville and others have youtube videos about making lightweight tree tables. Search for bionic tree table or backpacking tree table. They have some great ideas on attachment to the tree. Uses one hiking pole for stability. Enjoy!

From sousville's video description:
    JOINING THE TREE TABLE CRAZE , LOL....SMOKE AND YUKON....HERES ONE FOR YOU....90 GRAMS SOUNDS GOOD RIGHT?HOW ABOUT 70 GRAMS...AND WILL HOLD A 5 LB WEIGHT...
    Last edited by BearBurrito; 05-03-2012 at 18:47. Reason: Added sousville comment.
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234