DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    THIS...

but then with a razor blade you cut slits through one side wall every third or fourth cell (think plant cell) of the sign so that its flexible. this way it will roll up one direction and will be rigid the other direction. string 2 or 4 zing-it whoopies through holes in all four corners of table and around tree strap for leveling. the sign alone might hold 5 - 10 lbs against the slits before bowing. I might even add some arrow shafts or trail sticks as stringers(perpendicular to the slits) larks head fixed eyes of whoopies for more support as my concern is getting the tree huggers to hold tight enough that it doesnt slide while still maintaining light weight. Im sure there is some sort of tri-glide or double descender ring setup that is escaping me. I think all in all, depending on your need for this sort of contraption, you could build one pretty easily, pretty cheaply that could potentially roll up and pack in that old stake bag from you're unused tent.
    Nice idea. I'm looking forward to the pics!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Did anyone order the coleman table I linked in my first post? I decided just to spend the $20 and now it's unavailable at Amazon. I searched and I can't find any one else selling it or anything similar to it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I have a grillput. thought I found it for $20
    and yes it is heavy.
    IMO better for when weight is not an issue but not wanting the bulk

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Thanks for the link to the camping station I couldn't get myself to pay the $8 shipping so I made one.

I declare it a success but I'm going to make some improvements.

I purchased the corrugated plastic board from Lowes. They had for sale and garage sale ones, this one was just blank white. It was a little on the small side. I made it small enough to not worry about folding it. I had a vision of making it big enough and stable enough to put my stove on but I wouldn't trust a pot of boiling water on it, that seems like a bad idea.

The sign I bought could easily make 4 or more tables this size so I'm going to make one a little bigger and see how it works. I used the wire stand that came with it that is supposed to hold it up when used as a sign. I know I can get away with a thinner guage wire than that. With the next one I'll replace the paracord with something smaller and lighter. I prototyped used Mason line but it didn't hold knots well and was easily a tangled mess. I'm thinking 2mm cord would work great.

I really liked having a place not on the ground to prepare meals, especially when it came time to dish up the food for the 3 kids and I. I will be carrying a larger lighter version of this on my next trip.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is a great idea. How does it stand up to packing? Does it get any creases? Where do you put it?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

hanging table

I use four steel fishing leaders which have springsteel hooks that I fasten to a cut up weber grill charcoal grate. It was once round, but a hacksaw made it kinda square-ish. The four leaders then attach to one point on a line between two trees, (or could have it lean against a tree if site/tree appropriate). Works fine until I find a lighter grate. Holds stove /coffeepot, cup, utinsels, etc, and keeps me off the ground. Another way to hang/swing.
    Steel leaders eliminate heated line concerns.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    try this
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302696413

I bought one and I love it, it's the perfect size for setting a stove on, then you can put it on your lap to eat your dinner
    Debi

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I would start with foam board as the core - the thicker the better but somewhere around 1/4 inch. You could cut it up into 3 or 4 leaflets (so it can fold up).

Then cover each side of the foam with carbon fiber or fiberglass. The foam acts as the compression core and the fiber coating is the tension of the system.

You could vacuum seal it while curing just like model airplane wings:

http://www.pilotsguide.com/rc/vacbag.shtml

You could even frame-out the foam in carbon fiber arrow shafts but this is unlikely to be needed if the leafs are right - but could increase the loading capability by tens of pounds.

Assemble each leaf using fiberglass tape and resin. The result should be a table top that can be "unfolded" and such that the tape is in tension when weight is put on the table.

Finish it up with thin Dyneema cordage for hanging and a thin tree strap of your liking to attach it to the tree.

I'd bet the whole thing could be done to scale with the Coleman version (including weight limit) and weigh WELL under 8 ounces.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    try this
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302696413

I bought one and I love it, it's the perfect size for setting a stove on, then you can put it on your lap to eat your dinner
    Yeah I've looked at those but at 18.4 oz its to heavy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    I would start with foam board as the core - the thicker the better but somewhere around 1/4 inch. You could cut it up into 3 or 4 leaflets (so it can fold up).

Then cover each side of the foam with carbon fiber or fiberglass. The foam acts as the compression core and the fiber coating is the tension of the system.

You could vacuum seal it while curing just like model airplane wings....
    Wow that sounds like quite the project and it should hold a lot more weight than I would need it to. I think my version will be lighter, I'm trying to keep it under 4 oz. I would love to see someone with experience of that construction technique make one.

The steel leader idea is a great way to keep a stove from melting the ropes. I'm just not sure I trust a pot of boiling water balanced on top of a stove suspended by ropes on the side of a tree. It just seems like it would be to easy to tip it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast