I got to thinking about this on another thread: what someone could do to make a one pound kit.

So here are some pieces one could buy and only have to know how to tie a couple of knots to make a SUL hammock.

- Hammock: Grand Trunk Nano7 - without the biners. 4.91 ounces ~$70

- Suspension: 6' Dynaglide Whoopie Slings from www.whoopieslings.com. 0.64 ounces $18.55. Arrowhead Equipment also sells them but I don't know the weight.

- Toggles: Arrow toggles from www.whoopieslings.com 0.18 ounces $4

- Tree Straps: Variety of sources. Your pick... ~2.00 ounces. ~$15

- Hammock Ridge-line: 1.75mm utility line from Arrowhead Equipment. Length will vary based on your comfort and how you tie knots, but 9' of line would probably be a good start. ~0.21 ounces $2.25

- Stuff Sack: Medium cuben stuff sack from www.Zpacks.com. 0.25 ounces $12.95

- Tarp Ridge-Line and Strings: 50' of yellow and 50' of black 1.25mm spectra cord from Zpacks. You won't need all this but they sell it in 50' lengths. you need about 26' of black and 40' of yellow. 0.32 ounces for the ridge-line and 0.35 ounces for the tarp strings. $25.90

- Tarp: To exactly replicate my tarp you need a 7'x9' cuben tarp from Zpacks.com with 16 tie out points. That would be 4.45oz for $210. There are other tarp options out there if you don't want the rectangle.

So far to get all that you only need to know a couple of knots and have some cash. It would get you at about 13.31 ounces for the hammock, suspension, weather protection, and storage - for about $360 not including shipping from these various places.

The only hole in buying one at this point would be getting the net. I have been approached by one cottage gear maker that wants to try it. I wish him luck and won't out who it is until he decides he can do it. If someone makes a clone, I have no idea on price, maybe $40? And the weight should be about 2.54 ounces which is what mine weighed when I first made it before I started trimming it down.

I hope that helps some of you out there.