Nomad's Land XXL / DD
    Tarp
    DD XL / 3x3
    Insulation
    Mat
    Suspension
    webbing + biners

1st night in the hammocks

Hi everyone, here's a quick report on my 1st night moving up from bivis on the ground up into the trees. We wildcamped in some woodland here in London that we go to regularly and have bivied in before. The pics and vid was taken with my phone so quality it not that great but good enough for us to record our night and build on our approach to the next camp.

We had the DD Travel hammock and the Nomad's Land XXL silk hammock. Tarps were the DD extral large (3x4.5m) and a regular 3x2.5m (can't remember where I got that one from).

Suspension systems were the original cords that the DD came with but doubled up with simple knots tied in to hook a carabiner through. I got the idea from YouTube somewhere. I never had the time to get hold of any proper climbing webbing for the Nomad hammock (it doesn't come with any, just the 's' hooks) so I went to B&Q (a major DIY store here in the UK) and bought 15m of polypro webbing for £6.50 I think. I doubled this over and over again into 2 x 3.5m strips and then knotted then the same as I did with the DD. They both held up fine and were very quick to set up and tension.

The XL DD tarp is huge. It wouldn't fit between my trees so I had to roll up a part of it. The options are endless for playing about with a tarp/basha this big.

Since it was my 1st time I wasn't sure what gear I'd need so I took along a selection of things that I thought would be useful. We had Thermarests to sleep on, mine below me and in between the 2 layers in the DD. I also had a woolen blanket doubled up around my shoulders and hips to lie on. I found this not wide enough and should have used it in its regular lengthways format which would have kept my shoulders more snug. We used our down bags (Mountain Equipment and Alpkit) as quilts, which I liked a lot. I think the underquilt is the way to got for comfort and ease of use.

Comfort was beyond what I was expecting but getting into position for sleeping was more awkward. I usually sleep on my side and found this trickier to get into. I know this will just take more experimentation and trying to get more diagonal and also playing about sag. I dozed on and off for part of the night. If I was more used to sleeping on my back I would've slept like a baby. I found the hammock too warm and deliberately sort out colder spots to cool off, this was even with the bag/quilt pushed down around my hips. When I had to get up in the middle of the night to relieve myself, I was surprised how cool the night was once I was out of my silk cocoon.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised. For lounging around in they're great, and better that a bivi bag/tarp for spending time in. You don't seem to get as dirty since you're not crawling around on the floor. They are not as stealthy as just a bivi bag, which when stealth camping here in England is all you can get away with without attacting attention to yourself. The amount of room available imrpessed me. You can wake up, lean out and cook some breakfast, have a coffee, chat with your mate across from you. Next time we're taking the laptop with us and going to lay all cozy and watch some films.

Here's the setup on YouTube and my impressions in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for sharing your first hang. Each time you hang you will learn new things and find more ways to improve your gear.
    Terry

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    for additional stealthy-ness, consider a smaller (lighter?) tarp in camo- woodland or marpat (which I think means 'marsh pattern')-
    or for a DIY slant- take markers and draw in some shadow lines and/or patches; gray, brown, black -would blend you in nicely on the green base of the tarps you have already. (just a thought!)
    then the only thing to worry about being spotted is the horizontal break of the ridgeline....
    Hope that might help spark a few ideas, KM

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Glad you enjoyed your first hang
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    on some camping trips, I've found that sometimes the first night I'm all wound up and have a harder time sleeping. As the trip progress, I tend to settle down and usually by the second night, I'm tired, sleepy, figured out how I want my quilts and able to just get in the hammock and sleep.

Great first night report, now where's your second night report!!!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Glad you had a great 1st outing in the hammocks. Welcome to the elevated relaxed form of camping/stealthing. Looking forward to the 2nd trip report form the other side of the big pond.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Looks like a good time to me!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report and the pictures. I'm glad your first hang was a good one...planning the next one? I always am.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli

1st night

Hey bud,,, Looks awesom. to be slumbering in the great comfort of the hammock is better than anyother day....
    Well so im told....... I am still wating for my bb hammock to come in the mail. I cant wate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so for now I look at picts like yours and picture myself.

Is that wrong??? ok good luck in the hammocks and keep warn and dry....
    Tiredhiker

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredhiker View Post
    Hey bud,,, Looks awesom. to be slumbering in the great comfort of the hammock is better than anyother day....
    Well so im told....... I am still wating for my bb hammock to come in the mail. I cant wate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so for now I look at picts like yours and picture myself.

Is that wrong??? ok good luck in the hammocks and keep warn and dry....
    Tiredhiker
    It's called hammock envy... I can't get more than several weekends a year out packing in the woods, so I get it everytime I read a trip report...

Dunk, Looks like you had a great time...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast