Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hammock sags on one side

We have a very fine Mayan hammock which has one oddity - it sags on one side. I've included some photos to explain what is happening.

As the photo shows, the hammock is woven with two different threads, green and white.
    What appears to have happened is that the white threads have stretched slightly more than the green threads.
    When they wove the end knots, they used white thread on the same side of the hammock at both ends, and this is the side that sags.
    I can compensate the sag by tying up all the white threads on one side into the double sheetbend which I use to hang the hammock, like this -

- this shortens all the threads on one side by about 2" and corrects the sag.

So, the questions are, is it correct that the threads have stretched, or is it just possible that the sag is deliberate? The other question is, could I undo the knot holding the end loop and shorten the white threads? I have not attempted to undo this knot as I don't know how the loop done and I don't want to ruin the hammock. Is that possible, or is it better to leave that loop alone?

T.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you always get in and out on the side that's sagging?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

That's not caused by stretch of the white lines. In the closeup you can see that they're in exactly the same shape as the green lines. It's possible that you have a sag in the body of the hammock, but I think it's more likely that it was built that way on purpose. That would explain why they used a different color of line on that side. How wide is it? I'll bet my nickel that the hammock is designed to lay either strongly diagonal or totally sideways and the white lines indicate the "foot" side of the hammock.

Nice knot work, by the way.

Boris

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Make sure there aren't any tangles in any lines.
    Is it possible that it got wet and someone sat on one side and stretched it? Perhaps wetting the hammock and stretching the opposite side could realign things.

In the top pic, it looks like the white lines are twisted funny near the center? If so, that will throw of all the other lines. Symmetry is important with a braided hammock. Make sure both ends look the same and no twists or tangles.

I will defer to Cannibal , our reigning Mayan/Brazilian hammock guru.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I will defer to Cannibal , our reigning Mayan/Brazilian hammock guru.
    Excuse me, that's "addict", not guru.

Tandem78- can you take a picture of the hammock in set-up mode? Can't imagine they would use two different lines in a Mayan because of the difference in stretch, but I suppose it's possible. In the top picture, the white lines are definitely not hanging straight. They shouldn't cross over themselves like the appear to be doing. However, that could just be the way you've got it hanging in the picture. A shot of the hammock with someone in it will help.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think there is a twist/tangle somewhere. It probably occurred when it was being stored. Unfortunately I have seen something like this before with one of my hammocks. Getting those tangles out is not fun or easy, but it appears that your is a simple twist. Pass the hanging loop between the green and white cords in whatever direction helps it get untwisted. It's one of those things that is easier shown than described. Basically, I think the hanging loop got passed through (the ends of the red line below) the cord around #4 or so. Passing it back through should give you back your hammock in a normal state.

When storing your Mayan, you can try out hammock tubes/snake skins/python skins or tie a few overhand knots in the support lines or fold it carefully as to prevent tangles. I have a video I made that I sent my Dad when I gave him his hammock. I don't know where it is though. I'll look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    I think there is a twist/tangle somewhere. It probably occurred when it was being stored.
    Yes, I am always very careful about avoiding tangles when I handle the hammocks, but the message falls on deaf ears with other family members. The risk is that the end loop drops in between the threads. Is there a secret method to get these kind of tangles out? It seems as challenging as solving a Rubic's Cube.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem78 View Post
    Is there a secret method to get these kind of tangles out?
    One string at a time. Difficult to describe, but it isn't hard to do. Just takes a bunch of patience. I've got a Mayan at home that I'm pretty sure is a tangled mess. If I get time this weekend I'll make a video of me untangling it. I can get most of them done in less than 10 minutes. If it takes more time than that, I usually start thinking about what a good excuse I've found to go buy a new hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well yours seems pretty straightforward, but that's only really a guess looking at the pictures. The end that's 'tighter' looks like the area where the hanging loop needs to go through.

What I do is thread the hanging loop through and see if it will undo it or make it worse. It's really all trial and error until you get experience and can recognize which way to go to untangle. Some get so badly tangled that there really isn't any hope to fix them short of taking apart the hanging loop and re-whipping it. I might have to do that to my favorite Mayan style... I think my mother-in-law or my wife might have inadvertently tangled mine. I'm not sure how bad it is though, but I do feel your pain.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    One string at a time. Difficult to describe, but it isn't hard to do. Just takes a bunch of patience. I've got a Mayan at home that I'm pretty sure is a tangled mess. If I get time this weekend I'll make a video of me untangling it. I can get most of them done in less than 10 minutes. If it takes more time than that, I usually start thinking about what a good excuse I've found to go buy a new hammock.

10 minutes? I'm impressed! I'd love to see your technique.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast