Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

... But Which WarBonnet

Alrighty fine hammock loving folks ... here's the situation ...

[BTW, first post so please excuse any breaches in etiquette, although I have been lurking in the shadows a while].

I have an ENO DN. I've swapped out the suspension for poly & ditched the stock carabiners and whipping for closed loop amsteel. However, I am still having trouble finding a great night sleep in the thing. I've spent about 20 nights in it so far, and I haven't had the kind of experience that all of you WarBonnet guys talk about.

So I'm thinking that it may just be time to get myself [as soon as Brandon returns] one of these things, but ... which one?

First I should mention, I am a big fat guy [~300#]. Second, I like that my ENO is sort of open to the world. I'll often curl the bottom end over me, but leave my face open in lots of weather, because I really prefer not to have things on my face and feel a bit claustrophobic.

So that makes me lean towards the traveller, but then what about all those features of the BB that make everyone rave about it ??? I've built a pretty handy system of ridgeline pouches, so I don't know how much the shelf matters to me, but the footbox?, the tie outs?

Help Me !?!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    SN, welcome.
    With your DN, have you installed a ridgeline? It really helps with the lay of the hammock. At first, I just tied some paracord to the head and foot ends. After a few test runs and making adjustments (getting it just right).
    Paracord will stretch over time. So, I've since changed to a better ridgeline, but paracord can work, help you get things dialed in. Small adjustments in the ridgeline length really changed the lay/comfort of the hammock for me.

Which warbonnet......why, one of each, of course.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Not dissin' on the WB, but if you can't get comfy in a DoubleNest, you're doing something wrong. Like G said, put an adjustable ridgeline on it, and dial that baby in! Lots of sag works for me.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Check out the Dynaglide adjustable ridgeline from AHE and do what the guys above said. The adjustable one allows you to tinker easily and find the right sag without tying, untying, retying...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    The ENO should work, as mentioned, you probably don't have enough sag when you hang it. But, as to which WB - I'd say the Blackbird. The weight of a Traveler with bug net is almost the same as a similar (single or double layer, etc) Blackbird, plus I think the Blackbird is more comfortable. Use your weight and compare it to the chart Brandon provides to decide what weight fabric to use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have an ENO DN and a WB Traveler. I have modified my ENO to the point where it is basically the same as the Traveler so they are now equally comfortable. As others have said put a structural ridgeline on your ENO and adjust according to whats comfortable. I have a double layer Traveler because like you I'm a bigger guy. Given what you said you like, go for the Traveler with bugnet. The double layer traveler is also handy if you want to use a pad instead of an underquilt.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a Eno Double nest that I use for day time lounging but for night time I use a Blackbird 1.7 double. I weight 270 and 6ft 2+
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    As for the claustrophobic feeling, you could always throw the netting of the BB over the shelf side and have the open air feeling you so desire. Then have the comfort of the footbox. A second option is to tie out each side which would have the bug netting over the top of you but just leave the zipper open. I like to do this when bugs are around, not in swarming conditions, but this allows the breeze to find its way into the hammock better than if it is zipped up.

Good luck.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    .. plus I think the Blackbird is more comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    ..Then have the comfort of the footbox.
    Just to clarify, the Traveler has the same fabric bed shape and the same lay as the BlackBird. The footbox is a triangular piece of fabric sewn on the side of the fabric bed, to meet up with the shape of the BB netting. In practical use it is 'above' your feet. Brandon has stated that several times.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    If you already have an ENO Doublenest, and are considering a warbonnet traveler, you might want to try re-whipping your ENO warbonnet style first. There are several guides to the "warbonnet whip" around here that can show you how to do it.

The only real advantage I can see with a traveler over a re-whipped ENO is that the double fabric layers could give you a flatter lay due to less stretch. But it's worth trying the whipping style out in your ENO first before you fork out the cash.

I'll also point out that the Warbonnet bug net is anything but claustrophobic to me - the thing is downright cavernous inside! However, if you want a hammock with a bugnet that's a flat lay and has massive amounts of space on the inside, you might want to consider getting a Switchback, by Tree to Trail gear - there aren't nearly as many of them out there as Blackbirds, but they have gotten very favorable reviews so far. Might be worth looking into.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast