Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    EE RevTQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I have Sil, Spinn, and Cuben tarps. I agree with Medicine Man that Spinn is the best choice of the 3 right now.
    Do you have an opinion regarding the durability from an abrasion standpoint between the three fabrics? I have a spinnUL tarp that needed major repairs after a 50 mph storm because one area was rubbing against a tree limb about 4" or so in diameter. It seems to me that it is not always possible to keep a hammock tarp away from contact with limbs.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taedawood View Post
    Do you have an opinion regarding the durability from an abrasion standpoint between the three fabrics?
    I really don't have enough info to say. I haven't encountered significant abrasion with either Spinn or Cuben. Sil stands up to abrasion well IME.

I also have read about abrasion issues with Spinn. If/when it happens to me I'll post back here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Cotton Canvas
    Tarp
    In LA. NO TARP!
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    1" Tub. Webbing
    Do you guys mind teaching a newbie? Cuben is polyester or nylon? I know that you get a lot less stretch/sag in polyester and that it doesn't absorb water like nylon...

What is Spinn? I'm assuming its spinnaker cloth of some type.

I might have to head down to the marina and see if there are any sailors looking to get rid of some old sail cloths!

love
    nick

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Splicer View Post
    Do you guys mind teaching a newbie? Cuben is polyester or nylon?

Cuben is mix of dyneema fibers sandwiched between two layers of plastic film. (think saran wrap) The thicknesses of fibers used vary and the amount of fibers used varies, as does the film used. Dyneema, I think you know. Which makes the material really strong.

Some cuben is clear film, some greenish. Some cuben styles have fairly well oriented fibers in the sandwich, others are haphazardly strewn about, extremely random. Some run unidirectional, others at 45* degrees to each other, others looked just scattered about, and curvy. Depends on the needed applications.

I know that you get a lot less stretch/sag in polyester and that it doesn't absorb water like nylon...

What is Spinn? I'm assuming its spinnaker cloth of some type.

Thin ripstop nylon basically. With a silicone impregnation. Standard sil is 1.1 oz / yard. Spinn is .85-.7 /yard, as a base weight, then impregnated, adding a few 10ths of an oz.

I might have to head down to the marina and see if there are any sailors looking to get rid of some old sail cloths!

Choose wisely as thickness and weights will vary.

love
    nick
    love ya back
    gargoyle
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I thought that Spinntex was a polyester rip stop based material. Might be wrong again.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    I thought that Spinntex was a polyester rip stop based material. Might be wrong again.
    From the sailing.com website:
    Good old nylon is still considered the "right stuff" for nearly all spinnakers. It’s slightly stronger than polyester (Dacron), a bit less expensive, and its greater elasticity is, in some respects, an asset because it helps absorb shock loads and makes for chutes that are easier to fly in bouncy conditions. Of course, greater elasticity also has a downside—sail-shape distortion in stronger winds.

Nearly all lightweight spinnaker materials are, by nature, "warp-oriented" because the warp yarns (yarns running the length of the fabric) are pre-tensioned during the weaving process. The result is disproportionate crimp (zig-zagging) in the fill yarns (which run at right angles to the warp), resulting in fabrics that stretch more easily in the fill direction. Tri-radial construction takes advantage of warp-oriented styles because it ensures that the major sail loads are aligned with the most stretch-resistant axis (the warp) of the fabric.

Many spinnaker cloths are also "unbalanced weaves" with higher DPI in one axis than the other. DPI (denier per inch) is a figure representing the amount of fiber per linear inch in a fabric. When two figures are given (i.e. 30 x 40), it’s conventional to give the DPI of the warp first, followed by the fill. For example, the traditional .50-ounce construction is a 30 x 20, with a 30 DPI warp to handle the primary loads and a weaker 20 DPI fill to minimize weight. By contrast, a material suitable for all-purpose and cross-cut spinnakers might be a 30 x 40 construction, with beefier yarns in the fill direction to compensate for their greater crimp. Nearly all spinnaker fabrics have oversized ripstop yarns at intervals in both the warp and the fill to help prevent small tears from spreading catastrophically.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 once
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Can Any One Tell Me Where I Can By Spin By That Yard

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123