Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    I would also shy away from drilling the galvanized not because of toxic fumes, but because it would cause it to rust. Anything that removes the galvanization will open the piping up to rust. Although, if it is staying indoors it probably wont be too big of an issue.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Another quick thought, what about using four-ways at the corners? This would give you a notch to attach the hammock.

Images
    You can always spraybomb the whole thing after drilling. The male part, depending on how tight it fits in, I would only paint the hole.
    Last edited by TAlexander; 07-24-2010 at 10:53. Reason: I canot splel
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    For the people that have made these out of one inch pipe,- is that measurement inside or outside diameter?

Also, what type of pipe was it?
    Last edited by MikeN; 07-24-2010 at 22:36.
    Mike

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Plumbing pipe trade sizes

are measured I.D. But 1" pipe is not really 1" I.D.

That is why we pay plumbers so much - to decipher the mystery!

Jim

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    i'm very tempted to build one of these once i move into my apartment this coming semester.

Has anybody had any experience building one that's ~8 feet tall? I basically have a bed (psh... beds.) in my room that I can't put anywhere else and was considering building a stand to go OVER it and just use the bed as a shelf for other things. Pretty much the same set up I have in my room now -- only difference is my hammock is hung from the ceiling, so I know it's sturdy.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    Well I had some extra time tonight so decided to go ahead and put it together. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow.

I built this specifically to fit in my extra room. The top rail is 10ft, the side rails are 5ft, and the feet are 18 inches each (4 total). All of the pipe is 1 inch diameter and total after tax at Lowes was $111. There is a small amount of sway, but not enough to even think about. I was worried 10ft might not be enough, but it's perfect for one of my oldest DIY hammocks and my HH. For a size comparison, the mattress under the hammock is a full-size futon mattress.

How has this held up over the past year?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Did you consider putting a "T" at the top instead of an elbow; the "T" would give a "post" for something to loop around?

Also, a small piece could be put in the top of the T and a rigging point for a tarp.

Do the joints cause a weakness or are they stronger than the pipe? For example, If want to go to 12 with two 6 ft top sections with a connector in the middle, or 15 ft (WBRR likes at least 13 ft) with three 5 ft sections and two joints (easier packing in the car too), would that weaken the structure?

I can get 1" pipe in 10ft lengths so my base would be a T with 2ft legs on each side and a 6 ft vertical piece (that's two 10ft pipes cut at 6 ft and two 2ft pieces). For the horizontal piece I can use two 6ft sections with a connector in the center and they would go to a T at the top of the vertical pieces so the top of the T would hold a loop. That would be two more 10ft pieces with two 4ft pieces left over.

Or I could go with three 4ft pieces and two joints or three 5ft pieces and two joints. That would still use two more 10ft pieces and various lengths left over.

So I'd have to buy four 10ft lengths of pipe at local prices would be around $80. The rest of the cost would be the joints, plus any fee for cutting/treading.

I plan to use this outdoors on a cement patio and maybe take "on the road" to give demos to hiking groups. After the holidays I weight near 200 lbs. So that would be the hammock load. If I used it for demos, I'd make sure no one much larger than me would try it out.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    The plans for this are for 6'high. Any issues with making it taller by adding another 1-2' pipe??? I built one, and it works great for my gathered end, but I was hoping to use it for my 90 degree and it's just too low. I'm just concerned with the structural integrity as it gets taller. I might take the 2' sections on the legs and replace with 4' sections or??!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345