WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Drilling isn't that big a deal. Use a lube and it won't get that hot. It's burning and welding that releases the zinc fumes. I usually just use a well ventilated area and mechanically clean the area of the galvanizing(angle grinder). If you have someone that can weld those pieces in place, then there wouldn't be a problem with strength loss.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Built one out of 1.25 pipe. Around $190.00 for everything from lowes. My question is how do you hang your hammock?
    The simple solution is to wrap your rope around the pipe. Friction would hold it.

If you want a more elegant solution, get a pipe clamp and stick a carabiner or chain link through the hole.

I've decided to give the 1 inch pipe a try. Bought everything at Lowes tonight and the total after tax was $111.23. Will report back in a day or two after I've had time to clean the pipe, build it, and take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    I've decided to give the 1 inch pipe a try. Bought everything at Lowes tonight and the total after tax was $111.23. Will report back in a day or two after I've had time to clean the pipe, build it, and take pictures.

Will follow along with interest and as we are in the same town might get a chance to see it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I had a custom pipe stand made by the machinist at work. I'll be setting it up tomorrow night, I'll take some pictures of it. It's made of 1" pipe with fencing top rail for sleeves to make it collapsable to be taken car camping. I also had him make it like a swing set, with two legs on each end that come to a V. He welded the corner connectors. There was some minor misunderstanding on the specs, at one point he was going to make it about 15' tall. As it is, it's almost too tall. When one of my hammmocks is set up I need a step stool to get into it. He hasn't told me the price yet.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

1" pipe seems to work for me

Quote Originally Posted by subigo View Post
    I just came back from Lowes as well with all 1" pipe and fittings. It went together easily and I am excited at how portable it is! Just friction wrap it around anywhere in the vertical pieces and it will hold just fine. Of course time will tell how it stands up to abuse but the 1" appears to be plenty strong enough. I used 2 x 72" long pieces for the length and made the uprights 72" as well.

I know the rules...I will get some pics up tomorrow.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    My pics are up in a new thread, since my stand is a different style.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Well I had some extra time tonight so decided to go ahead and put it together. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow.

I built this specifically to fit in my extra room. The top rail is 10ft, the side rails are 5ft, and the feet are 18 inches each (4 total). All of the pipe is 1 inch diameter and total after tax at Lowes was $111. There is a small amount of sway, but not enough to even think about. I was worried 10ft might not be enough, but it's perfect for one of my oldest DIY hammocks and my HH. For a size comparison, the mattress under the hammock is a full-size futon mattress.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Good job!!!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    sublingo, that looks awesome. I am now thinking about making one. If it's to be moved, the 1 inch is likely better. But if stattionary, in one's yard full-time, for instance,. the 1.25 might be the way to go. Takes the sway out of it. You've answered my basic question: how long for top bar. It looks like 10 feet, which is likely what the pipe comes in (does it come in 12 foot lengths, too?) is adequate. The photo earlier in this thread by the white pickup truck is also sweet,but I'm not certain that I'm digging that joint in the middle of the top bar.

As someone mentioned, and hopefully will post photos on this thread (not some other) I wonder if there's a coupling that allows two uprights to come off at angle to have double uprights directly from the top bar, would likely be more stable, and te straps would better stay up on splayed twin-leg (swingset) type uprights, I'd conjecture.

Finally, as OG stated, pipes are ugly and grody things, esp galvanized. Anyone know if Rustoleum would stick reasonably well to galv. pipes? Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast