Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    That kind of sucks. Although I don't think I have never seen a ranger or warden on a backcountry trail when I have been out there.
    That does indeed suck, if it is true. That may only apply to Algonquin park. As it stands now Bon Echo back country camping has it's own restrictions on the max number of people per site and that is six.

At this point with 3.5 weeks until the hang, we are at six people so 3 per site shouldn't be a problem. Bon Echo may not count hammocks as shelters. That remains to be seen which is one reason why I suggested that we be prepared to sleep on the ground.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I was in on the first two threads and I'm still in for the third one. Just tell me what I need to do?
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    I was in on the first two threads and I'm still in for the third one. Just tell me what I need to do?
    Greetings

So we are up to 7 people now. There is nothing you specifically need to do. Just show up prepared to camp (support yourself) for the amount of nights that you are planning on staying for.

Beyond that have fun on the trip. That is the whole point of this adventure.

Cheers

Brian.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Group Items

Greetings Everyone

As chardpp pointed out earlier in this thread about group gear, I was wondering what people had or could bring that would be of benefit to the whole group.

For instance, I am bringing a 10L dry bag for having a large quantity water on the site at any given time. I also have a fold down trailblazer type buck saw. Not the lightest but makes processing smallish logs more energy efficient as opposed to chopping with a knife.

Does any one have a good size tarp to cover a picnic table? Any other group items that anyone can think of would be good to throw out there at this point.

T minus 19 days and counting.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    Hi Guys,

Something to keep in mind...

2 years ago I called an Ontario Park (Algonquin I think) and asked about hammocks, indicating that it was a hammock with a tarp overtop that I would sleep in. I was told that hammocks do not count as shelters, of which there can only be 3 per site.

I was in Algonquin over the weekend. Apparently Algonquin now views hammocks as shelters. That means you can only have 3 hammocks per site.

So in Algonquin you can now put 3 10 person tents, plus another tent for eating and that is fine, but if you put 4 hammocks up you get a fine - I think he said it was a $500 fine.

Not sure about other parks. I'm going to call Killarney tomorrow.

PS - The warden said they also don't care what Ontario Parks says. Even if Ontario Parks says hammocks don't count, Algonquin will fine you anyways. Support your local petty beaurocracy!
    I'm booked on a trip to Algonquin for Labour day weekend, so this post concerned me.

I called the Algonquin info line and asked about hammocks with tarps, and was told that hammocks aren't a shelter. Just to be on the safe side, I also fired off an email to [email protected] detailing hammocks, tarps and tree straps. I got a final response today saying hammocks were fine and weren't part of the 3 shelter maximum.

"No this would not be considered a shelter, and by using a hammock this would be low impact camping which is a good thing!

Have fun.

Debbie"
    vgnbkr - Where did you encounter the Warden that threatened the fine? Was it at the registration desk or in park?

p.s. Have fun in Bon Echo
    Last edited by Jiblets; 08-01-2010 at 23:35.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblets View Post
    I called the Algonquin info line and asked about hammocks with tarps, and was told that hammocks aren't a shelter. Just to be on the safe side, I also fired off an email to [email protected] detailing hammocks, tarps and tree straps. I got a final response today saying hammocks were fine and weren't part of the 3 shelter maximum.
    Jiblets, that is certainly great news to hear. At some point I am going to hike some of the trails in Algonquin Park.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Hi guys

I've been away on vacation, but I am still very much committed to going.

Shawn

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnh View Post
    Hi guys

I've been away on vacation, but I am still very much committed to going.

Shawn
    Glad to have you along, Shawn. That makes you number 8, with even numbers coming from the Ottawa/Kingston area and the Greater Toronto area.

So we can call this the Ontario East/West Summit Hang.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I have sent an email to Ontario parks asking the same question (and providing a bit of clarification about how hammocks are NOT damaging to trees) and when I get a response I will post here.

I will also print out the email and bring it along in case of ignorant Rangers me may meet along the way.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    I have sent an email to Ontario parks asking the same question (and providing a bit of clarification about how hammocks are NOT damaging to trees) and when I get a response I will post here.

I will also print out the email and bring it along in case of ignorant Rangers me may meet along the way.
    Any word yet, Kasuko?

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast