Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images

Hammocking

Well, my first weekend away in a hammock couldn't have been better - temperature 26-30'C, lovely and warm.

I used my rucksacks rain shield to cover the sack and put it against one of the trees. My clothing, camera etc was in a waterproof stuff sack suspended on the webbing.

Pic here:http://www.albumonline.net/display.php?id=997a2e2b

However some observations and questions:

I found getting into a sleeping bag utterly impossible when in my hammock. The best way was to standard through the velcro, step into it, pull it up to height and hook hood over head then enter hammock as normal. This isn't going to be pretty when wet.

Shoes - inside the hammock shoes are a bit of a pain. How do people deal with them? I just left them on the floor and gave them a good bang in the morning to make sure nothing had crawled in during the night.

Clothes - I suspended mine from the webbing, but only because it was dry - where would you usually keep 'em?

Oh and hi!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_n View Post
    ....I found getting into a sleeping bag utterly impossible when in my hammock. The best way was to standard through the velcro, step into it, pull it up to height and hook hood over head then enter hammock as normal. This isn't going to be pretty when wet.
    A larger tarp solves a lot of rain issues ... however getting into the sleeping bag can be done ... just takes a big of wiggling. A small ground cloth that you can use under the opening will help you from getting the bag wet getting into it through the opening. Have you thought of just using the sleeping bag as a top quilt? Mummy bag? Use the zip either a little up for a foot box and use it that way. Of course that would be dependent of you having an underquilt.

....Shoes - inside the hammock shoes are a bit of a pain. How do people deal with them? I just left them on the floor and gave them a good bang in the morning to make sure nothing had crawled in during the night.

Clothes - I suspended mine from the webbing, but only because it was dry - where would you usually keep 'em?

Oh and hi!
    Same deal with shoes ... a plastic trash bag or plastic grocery bag can allow you to take inside with you ... or leave under you on the ground in the bag ... secure from bugs and rain.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your successful trip.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    I don't currently have an underquilt - I took my self inflating matress but using that with my sleeping bag and the fabric of the hammock just proved an amusing experience, but ended up with the mat out the door.

My main problem with the shoes is I've got UK size 14 feet (that's 15 US) and the shoes are not just big, but heavy too - they don't sit still on the hammock slope and I find them pressing against me. Plastic bag on the floor it is then!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    I don't currently have an underquilt - I took my self inflating matress but using that with my sleeping bag and the fabric of the hammock just proved an amusing experience, but ended up with the mat out the door.

My main problem with the shoes is I've got UK size 14 feet (that's 15 US) and the shoes are not just big, but heavy too - they don't sit still on the hammock slope and I find them pressing against me. Plastic bag on the floor it is then!
    uk user then i take it? if you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask mate! where abouts in the uk are you anyway?

for your shoes, in this video of mine, it shows you how to deal with them in a very easy way. along with a few other common questions.

as for the sleeping bag problem, going to be doing a video about that shortly.

you said you used an inflating mattress no? try using it half full/half empty for starters, then it will slide around less because it will conform more to the shape of the hammock.

tried putting it inside the sleeping bag? then they are effectively joined together and not going to slide apart.

when getting in, position your sleeping bag where you want it. unzip it and open it fully. turn around, put your arse in the middle and lift your legs up, then swivel on your arse and stick your feet into the corner. you should be more or less on the thing. pull the zip up then, it does take a lot of practise and can be extremely frustrating at first. putting your rolmatt inside will certainly help you to start off with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    uk user then i take it? if you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask mate! where abouts in the uk are you anyway?
    Essex, nr Southend.

Can't watch vids at work (firewall blocks pretty much everything) however I shall peruse at home. Thanks for the tips - I'm going to have to get out and about a lot more I think this summer than I was originally planning.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    dont worry mate. you can always watch it later!

theres a variety of things you might find useful in that video if this is your first HH.

im going hanging this weekend over in surrey near woking.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    For your shoes..tie the laces together and hang over the foot end of the hammock. Keeps most of the bugs out and keeps interior of the hammock clean. Some kind of lightweight ground cloth is a must. Use it as a door mat under the entrance of the hammock. Gives you a place to stand, grab your shoes, sit back down and tie them on, without getting dirty/wet feet. General hammock rule: No shoes IN the hammock.

Air mattress..let some air out so its flexible, you'll have to play with how much. But doing so will allow the mattress to flex with your body weight. Much more manageable.

Ground cloth is a great place to set your pack under the tarp. I use a 1 meter by 2 meter piece of waterproof material. Gives me a dry place to scatter my kit.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Trekkingnut Jimmy--your videos are SMASHING! Thanks, I wacthed them all. You've been to some pretty exotic places, and know what you're taking about. I learned quite a bit in your HH 101 video, and I like that you kept it moving along, "show, don't tell". Superb. Thanks for making the vids.

You might wish to invest in an external mic, your sound volumes are dreadful, particularly when you turn away from the camera. Just a thought.

Enjoyed them, thanks again. Cheers.

Hammock
    Whatever one I'm laying in.
    Tarp
    Old tent fly
    Insulation
    Self inflating pad
    Suspension
    Trees
    So that's what England looks like.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    dont worry mate. you can always watch it later!

theres a variety of things you might find useful in that video if this is your first HH.

im going hanging this weekend over in surrey near woking.
    Got a chance to watch them Wednesday night before taking the scouts out - very good! I shall certainly bear in mind some of your tips on my next trip.

Poundland are doing ground sheets 1x2ms at the moment - look fine quality, though I think I need a bigger tarp if I'm going to have a wet weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast