Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images

side sleeping and keeping your hips/back square

I've slept a few nights in my WBBB but I keep running into a problem with my position. I'm hoping others have figured out a way around this.

I'm a side sleeper and since my hips are at the bottom of the apex causing my hips to be at an angle compared to my spine. The only way to stop the discomfort is go more into a fetal than I prefer(bending knee way up).

The reason I'm trying hammocking is because I've heard hammocks are so good for side sleepers. Plus it really nice to have the slope so I don't need a huge pillow to keep my neck from kinking(which I 'think' the BH would give me the same problem).

I've played with the head to feet hang angle and played some with the tightness of the ridge line but haven't found a solution yet. I'm a newbee so I'm not the expert at configuring it yet. Yes I sleep as much of an angle to the ridge line as possible.

thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Don't feel bad.... i still havn't figured it out....
    and i'v been hanging for a few years now

maybe the WBBB is not the hammock for you ?

i just started to use a BMBH and i can sleep on my side like i do in my bed...my problem now is finding the best way to put my arms....and trying to get use to not having a body pillow LOL

sleeping in a hammock sometimes takes time...some ppl take to it the first night sometimes it takes a few different hammocks till you find one that works....some ppl need more time

don't give up on it...you will find something that works
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do you have a double layer? If you do would it be possible to stuff a little extra support for your hips in betwen the layers like a fleece jacket or something. Don't know it that would work but worth a try.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Do you have a double layer? If you do would it be possible to stuff a little extra support for your hips in betwen the layers like a fleece jacket or something. Don't know it that would work but worth a try.
    Or even with a single layer, try putting a little something under you to prevent side /spine discomfort. Or also try turning on your other side, but otherwise in the same position in the hammock.

Guaranteed cure ( in my experience anyway) for all side and calf problems(when back sleeping) is a bridge hammock, like the JRB BMBH. Side and leg comfort is the BH's forte, IMO. But then the shoulder experience is, ummmm, different, side or back. Plus, fetal( other than slight fetal) is not a choice for most of us with the BMBH, unless you use a wide pad. So I don't know if you would be overall happier with that or not. However, I am pretty sure you won't have any complaints with your hips being at an uncomfortable angle.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Do you have a double layer?
    It's a double 1.7 but I'm also 6'3" and 230#.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you tried a small pillow or stuff sack with some extra clothing in it between your legs especially at the knee area. This angle change works for me. Keep experimenting before you buy a new hammock. it takes a while to sort out all the comfort factors.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

Side Sleeper Optimzations

Greenlespaul and BB58 are right on the JRB Bridge as a side sleeper...

Side sleepers who prefer fetal position should use gathered end hammocks...

Side sleepers who prefer straighter body alignment and or knees gently bent to about 120 degrees max should use bridge stlye hammocks...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I think of it this way: In a gathered end hammock there are two pockets--one on each side of the center line. I lay my shoulders one pocket and my hips in the other. The center line follows the curve of my waist. One hammock expert wrote that side sleepers who could never sleep on their back in a bed (like me) end up sleeping on their back or nearly on their back in a hammock. I haven't found that to be the case for me, but maybe it'll work for you.

Also (if you're brave) you could undo your gathered ends and try whipping them. (look for many threads of the topic of gathered vs. whipped ends and how to do both) Maybe you can tweek your hammock a little more to your liking. At least try it before going and buying a whole new hammock! Best of luck to you and keep us posted!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If I'm feeling a little out of tweak in the BB, I usually adjust the angle more - spread out longer on the diagonal. The longer I use the hammock, the more I find multiple comfortable positions; some nights the twisted sister (sleeping on my back with the lower half of the body twisted to the side) is comfy, some nights I fall asleep on my side per usual and wake to find myself comfortably lying on my back in a "coffin" pose with one or both arms on my chest.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I second the comments about the bridge hammocks for side sleepers...it doesn't get flatter than a bridge. I just like to pull my knees up higher so it doesn't quite work for me.

Have you tried putting a pillow between your knees? That's what I do...it doesn't exactly solve the problem your describing but it does take enough pressure off my lower back to let me sleep comfortably.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast