Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Shug, you didn't get that check I sent you? Darn USPS! Can't trust them.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Folks are VERY SERIOUS about backpacking/bushcraft and such. Has made me a bit more vigilant on what I put in a video ....... plus I really just want to have fun but there are a lot of questions after a vid that I get and have to answer...... I always think all the info is in the vid but folks ask a lot of detail. If they ask ... I answer although that is my least favorite part of posting a video.
    My fingers are lazy!!!!!!!!
    Shug
    I agree with you Shug. People taking themselves too seriously just sucks all the fun out of everything.
    You keep being you buddy.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Now I remember why I haven't made any videos on how to hang. Maybe after I get several years experience in Hammock camping I'll attempt a short video on how to buy a dutch clip or something.
    The amount of knowledge on this site is incredible and quite intimidating to be honest. I'll stick to "Non-Hammock" gear for now.
    The only thing I know for sure is that there's a lot more stuff I don't know than I do know. Never claim to be an expert on something even if you are. There is about a million ways to "right". Don't forget that is easier to tear someone down than it is to build someone up.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    " but videos do influence folks .......
    Shug
    Shug your videos do influence a lot of folks. It got me here. I hope thats a good thing. Your videos have brought a lot of people here and that is a good thing.

Ramblinrev I would hope he doesnt take it as a personal attack or a blindside. I view personal e-mail vs business e-mail as two totally different things. Personal e-mail is just that. I would never dream of sharing a personal e-mail with anyone. Business e-mail I view as public information. Not everyone will agree with me on this but it is my stance. If Seth thinks I have blindsided him then I truly apologize to him for that. As I stated earlier this is not personal. As for you not seeing things in the same way as me... that is great. I learn from listening to others perspectives. I even found some of Seths perspectives interesting. Some i agree with some I dont.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

.... but videos do influence folks ....... Shug
    That's why I always wear aluminum foil hats when I watch them

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    That's why I always wear aluminum foil hats when I watch them
    You are doing it wrong. The aluminum will seep into your brain and you will catch giardia from it. You have to wear titanium foil hats. Go to www.titaniumhats.com for the real scoop.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    You are doing it wrong. The aluminum will seep into your brain and you will catch giardia from it. You have to wear titanium foil hats. Go to www.titaniumhats.com for the real scoop.
    ... well us'uns poor old NC mountain boys have to use what's we got
    Can't afford that new fangled stuff

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Not a word of a lie but last week I came home and my wife was getting the condiments ready for burgers. I walked in to the strong smell of onions (dice wtih a slapchop) and the first thing I did was take a long sniff and I said quite loudly "Whoooo Buddy" It's funny but it the first thing that popped in my head.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    I think it's good that this thread is starting to simmer down so my response is not meant to pick it up again but I think it would be a bit odd if I didn't respond at all since I'm an active member/lurker in the forums.

First I should say that I don't take offense at all to my email being posted in the forums, there's nothing I said in my email I wouldn't post directly to the forums myself anyways. A courtesy email ahead of time wouldn't have hurt but I don't have any reason to be upset about it.

My real concern with this situation is not the video itself or the principles involved but what happened in the backlash to it. I won't condemn someone's video because they show a method of hanging that I wouldn't do myself (pulling it too tight), but I'll point it out if I think it can be done better - which I also felt was more appropriate to do on my own page, not on YouTube.

Making short instructional videos means you won't be able to cover everything or make everyone happy, especially not when it comes to the passionate and die hard hammock lovers in a forum like this. That passion and knowledge we all have is a good thing, but the last thing you want is to have the 'Hammock Forums Mafia' out there pouncing on every one who is trying to get their audience to check out hammocks. I know that many of the comments that were left were not attacks and were simply invites to come to the forums to learn. But the point was clearly made after the first comment/link or two, anything beyond that becomes comment flooding and spam and will be seen in a negative light.

I've been a big supporter and active member of the Hammock Forums since 2006 and this is the first time I've seen anything that made me feel less proud of the community here. The only effect this will have is to discourage others from making hammock videos and posting them on the web because they'll fear the onslaught of corrections and attitudes from this community and that's upsetting. My disappointment in the comment flooding and 'holier than thou' attitudes that I saw are entirely as a supporter and believer in the Hammock Forums, not because my hammock happened to be in the video. The Wilderness Outfitters channel has 21,000 subscribers... just think of the number of people that may now have the wrong impression about this community and hammockers in general because of the comment flooding. Or the hesitation that they'll have in posting any new videos about hammocks. I know the instructions were not what you'd agree with and your mission was to prevent bad information from going out, but the shared goal as I see it is to introduce new people to hammocks and then provide a forum to educate and discuss. I'm sure most of you didn't get into hammocks because you found Hammock Forums, you got into hammocks and then found your way to the forums to learn how to do it better and that's what we need to let happen in these situations.

I understand that we don't want an onslaught of first timer, environment damaging hammockers - that would be bad for the industry and worse, the environment. But, as long as people in the community continue to put out good videos, and the quality and openness of these forums stays strong, the natural learning curve that so many of you went through will happen without the need to shout "Hammock Forums" at everyone that tries to make a video. I'd rather see 21,000 new rookie hammockers making videos and being part of the hammock community, who will be actively looking for more instruction and and better mods, than 21,000 who are intimidated or discouraged to even get in the game because of comment flooding campaigns and "I'm right, you're wrong" attitudes.

Apologies for the long-winded response, those that know me know how much the community aspect of what I do means to me. In my opinion this was just a mis-step by some passionate folks with good intentions and a good lesson on how there are good ways and bad ways to spread the word about the great community here. As always I'm available online and off if you ever want to talk.
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very well said, Seth.

I think it's time to close this thread now.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112