Hammock
    HH Expedition Classic

First sleep in First hammock

I got my HH Expedition fairly recently. I haven't yet had the opportunity to take it out anywhere further than the backyard, but I got to take a nice afternoon nap in it yesterday.

I'd been hit with a random bout of insomnia the night before and had been awake for about 30 straight hours, so my hang between a too-thick elm and a too-flexible plum that are the only trees in my yard was a bit sloppy; I had one foot between the foot of the hammock and the elm and about five between the hammock and the plum. Since it was sunny with no breeze and about 95* F, I didn't bother to hang the tarp. I don't have any stakes or trekking poles, so I ended up tying out the side shock cords to bricks and laying them on the ground.

Turns out that the shockcords are too short to get a good angle when using a 3"x3" brick, so I found myself with the foot area being too wiggly and an interesting sort of shelf under my left arm that was surprisingly comfortable.

This convinced me that I need trekking poles--if only to properly use the side tie-outs. Yes?

A few days before, I discovered that my nice memory foam pillow made for side sleepers didn't fare so well in a HH. So I picked up a backpacker's pillow from REI when I went to get a sleeping bag and tried that out. The eight inch wide down pillow is shaped to fit the hood of an REI sleeping bag and just thick enough to not strain my neck in either direction... I think. I mostly got it for when I rolled onto my side, as I learned quickly that, hammock or not, I need a pillow if I'm on my side. In that capacity, it served well. Enough.

All in all, it was a pretty good nap. I was somewhat energized, though laying in the heat for four and a half hours left me thirsty and feeling shriveled underneath the skin. This put a hammock fan on the top of my to-buy list XD .

I've heard a lot of people on HF complain about the BEEP cutting into their leg. I noticed that this does happen depending on how I'm laying, but I found that scooting up (towards the head) and shifting the feet more right and the shoulders more left alleviated this somewhat. Did make rolling over more awkward, though, and I lost my little pillow a couple times. Anyone else find a solution? Short of getting a zipper mod?

Somewhere between the ideal of heaven and the reality of hell
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    welcome to the best sleep in the woods!
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"