WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

Skeeter Beeter Has too much net...

We've been hanging our net's from prusiks on an underneath tarp ridgeline, but I'm trying to liberate the hammocks from the tarp. Anyway, I never got a workable integrated ridgeline to work with my JH, but I'll be using my WBBB now, so, half problem solv- ...avoided.

Anyway, my wife uses a Grand Trunk SB UL, which is designed have it's net suspended by two ridgelines. It seems this makes for way too much net drooping in the face with one ridgeline attached to the hammock ends. While I could easily add I long line higher up the suspension to raise the net higher, I'm trying to avoid attaching a ridgeline so far out that it won't be under the tarp.

I don't really want to make the net smaller, but I will be replacing the net on a friends hammock, so I guess I could while I'm at it.

Help me out!
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Oops, I misspelled Skeeter. Can I fix a typo in a thread title?
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I did what I think you are suggesting with my original Skeeter Beeter, DON'T DO IT! Yes, it got the netting off of my face BUT (and I may have over done it) it put GREAT stress on the zipper, causing it to prematurely wear out.
    If you do make the netting smaller, go slow, take small bits off at a time & stop before you are even remotely putting strain on the zipper. Even better yet, maybe, tack the netting where you think you would make it smaller & try that a few times. Getting in, closing up the zipper, opening the zipper, etc.

Side note: My original S/B had a long elastic cord for suspending the netting from, allowing the netting to give as you move around. My latest S/B was bought used, so did not have the cords with it, & I find my ridgeline adequate for the task so have made no effort to change it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miisterwright View Post
    Oops, I misspelled Skeeter. Can I fix a typo in a thread title?
    Nope, but I can

Fixed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Thanks HC.

Doctari, I don't really want to make the net smaller. I'd prefer to figure a clever way to raise the net, other than to attach to a tarp ridgeline, which I what I've been doing.

Maybe I'll put a ridgeline on the hammock and then play with spreader sticks and see what happens.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Thanks HC.

Maybe I'll put a ridgeline on the hammock and then play with spreader sticks and see what happens.
    That was my solution for my son's SB. Grab a couple of sticks lying around and you are good to go. Of course if you wife used trekking poles, those would work just as well without having to user potential firewood for her shelter.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    A couple of loops on the net and some shock cord overhead will fix you right up.

Thanks HC.

Doctari, I don't really want to make the net smaller. I'd prefer to figure a clever way to raise the net, other than to attach to a tarp ridgeline, which I what I've been doing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    A couple of loops on the net and some shock cord overhead will fix you right up.
    I don't think it shows it well in these photos, but I believe what you're describing is what I've been doing. Except that instead of using loops, I added 4 pieces of grosgrain across the length of the center of the net, hot-knifed holes through them and ran on elastic cord trough which is attached by small biners to prusiks on the tarp ridgeline. It work brilliantly, but I'm trying to get away from having to depend on the tarp ridgeline.

It's not really that big a deal, because to lounge around she just disconnects from the prusiks and flips the hammock over anyway, but IF ever she wants to stargaze in mosquito heaven, and integrated ridgeline would be nice.

The real reason, I guess, that I wanted to get away from the tarp ridgeline is that we are both hanging under on tarp and neither is directly under the ridge, so the net on my Claytor was being pulled to the side. As you can see in the photo I figured out that I could use another length of shock cord and a stake to pull the net back over the center of the hammock. Her hammock really wasn't as affected because her prusiks were nearer to the edges of the tarp. I may just leave this one alone, since it works and make another DIY hammock with an integrated ridgeline and she can use either one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I don't think it shows it well in these photos, but I believe what you're describing is what I've been doing.
    I use shock cord as an "extra" ridgeline, strung between the hanging ends like the regular structural ridgeline.

My netting came with two "suspenders." I've been thinking about adding at least one more. The stock ones are made from the same noseeum as the netting.

I can not believe how light, comfy and inexpensive the Byer Moskito is. I just love it.

• + New Posts