Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sleeping 2 people in 1 hammock (which hammock?)

Hey guys. I am planning on buying my first hammock and one of the most important things I am worried about is being able to sleep with my girlfriend in it. We always sleep wrapped up arround each other and have comfortably spent the night on a bed the size of a park bench.

Having read posts from the search tool it looks like a number of people are happy sleeping with their partner in a hammock but my question is which hammock setup I should get with the idea of making it lightweight, compact, and comfortable for two. I also want one with the attatched netting. Neither of us are very big... I'm 5'11" 165 lbs and she is 5'9" and 125 lbs or so.

I really like the look of Hennessy Hammocks because of the simplicity of buying a set all designed to work together. The snakeskins also seem like a great idea. Do snakeskins fit other brands of hammock? I was thinking of going for the Deep Jungle XL or the Explorer Deluxe. I also looked at the Safari but I think it is too heavy. However, HH only recomends sleeping 2 people in the Safari. Do any of you have experience with either of the aforementioned hammocks? Do you think they are big enough? Is the Safari worth the extra few lbs?

The other hammock that seems to come up for 2 people is the WB Blackbird. Do you think that is a better choice for 2 people? What tarp would be good to get with it?

Are there any others that I should be considering? Being lightweight and compact are very important to me but I also want a hammock that will be comfortable for the two of us.

One final note, is that I am an outdoor professional and HH already offered me a prodeal. Do you know if WB offers prodeals as well?

Thanks in advance for your advice. This is a great forum and I've already got a lot of good info from it.

-Ky

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Clark Vertex
    http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php

Most all hammocks are designed for 1 person, as weight is by gravity pulled to the center (& down). My gf & I have sat on my BB together with the net thrown over the rl, but no way would there be enough room for both of us to sleep. Your' best bet besides the vertex might be a very wide hammock like an ENO double + a pad to maximize bed width.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    There is a big difference in my opinion between sleeping together on a small bed and in a hammock; the bed doesn't PUSH your together. My wife and I do regulary nap/hang out together in one hammock, but to sleep... not so much. It can be done though. I'll let those who actually do sleep two per hammock make the case for it. I can't in good conscience advocate for it. We've considered getting a Clark Vertex, but that's more weight than it sounds like you want. If you do insist on sleeping two in one hammock, I think the whipping of the Hennesy may have an advantage since it creates a high spot down the middle. This would seem to help separate the two of your somewhat better. Definitely get the side entry. You'll probably find that sleeping head-to-foot works best, and I'm sure you can see how the bottom entry could present and unneccessary challenge to that endeavor!

*To be clear, I'm advising AGAINST sharing a hammock.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I don't sleep well, even in a large bed, with other people, so I can't give much advice there. But, I would think the bottom entry of a Hennessey would create problems? I would think one of you would have your knee right at the opening, accidentally opening it all the time.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I hike with the S/O... we have learned that he will sleep on the ground under his tarp and I will be in my hammock. Thats just what we have to do for both of us to be comfortable. On some occaisions we are fortunate to find a flat hammock space and he will lie under my tarp.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    You may also have to sleep in opposite directions to get it to work comfortably for you.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I hike with the S/O... we have learned that he will sleep on the ground under his tarp and I will be in my hammock. Thats just what we have to do for both of us to be comfortable. On some occaisions we are fortunate to find a flat hammock space and he will lie under my tarp.
    He doesn't like to sleep in a hammock, even if he got one for himself? I would question this relationship.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
    That is interesting! I've never seen one of those.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My girlfriend and I are two of 'those' people and very much enjoy sleeping in the same hammock occasionally. We've been on a handful of hikes where we only took one hammock. Honestly, I MUCH prefer the Trek Light Double or ENO Doublenest for sleeping in pairs. The Blackbird works OK, but doesn't offer quite as much flexibility because of it's enclosed nature; same is true for the Hennessys, although the Deep Jungles are all we've slept double in from HH. Bottom entries would be a NIGHTMARE!

The Vertex from Clark Hammocks is a really neat design and I found it totally bearable for sleeping. However, it puts the sleepers in separate hammock beds so if you're looking for snuggle-time it isn't a great choice.

If it were me, I'd get a Trek Light Double and a bugnet from Warbonnet Outdoors and beg for a little custom work to cover it. The custom work would be adding another entry/exit to the other side of the netting so that one of you doesn't have to crawl over the other one to get out; which is also an issue with the Blackbirds and the Hennessys. I love my Traveler hammock from Warbonnet and the double layer version would easily support your combined weight, but for whatever reason, my girlfriend and I can't get real comfortable in it. Supremely comfortable for one person, but not so much for two.
    Trust nobody!

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. The vertex is out of my price range -- and also I want a hammock that will still make sense when used solo. A number of the hennessys (all the ones I looked at) now come with side openings so that is not an issue.

Neither the Treklight double or the ENO come with attached bug netting which is a feature that makes a lot of sense to me in terms of simplicity. Having to set the bug net up all the time would be kind of a hassel right? Or can I lust leave it on when I take the hammock down? The hammock will be used mainly in Alaska and central/south america (read: the bugnet will always be being used).

Cannibal, how did you find sleeping in the Deep Jungle? The new DJ XL http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs...ngle_long.html looks like it could be good. Your thoughts?

Neither the TL or the ENO come with double-bottoms. That seems like it could be a useful feature?

I guess I am torm between going with the TL double with a external bugnet and the HH Deep Jungle XL. Any help choosing between these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ky

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast