Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Sorry. I meant, what is the difference the two versions of Momentum 90? There are several colors of Momentum 90 ripstop but the Momentum 90 taffeta comes only in black. Assuming one side is going to black, which Momentum 90 would you use?

Not that I'm going to use it, mind you. That decision needs a few more days
    Sorry, My error. I understood their page to say that the felt the taffeta was more water resistant than the ripstop because of the more uniform surface texture. But they were comparing it to Pertex ripstop... which they say is very similar but not as water resistant. Yet the really high end sleeping bag companies use the Pertex on their $400 plus sleeping bags. If Momentum is as good or better then its probably pretty darn good..

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    How does momentum 90 compare to cuben fiber? And doe anyone no a cheap source for 900 fill down? I would not rule out stealing a hotel pillow/or comforter, but which hotel anyone know?
    And would one use this same fabric for a underquilt or is there a better alternative for that?

I believe Cuben fiber is waterproof, it is the high-end rage for UL tarps. I'm pretty sure Momentum is a high-end calendared (mashed flat) parachute fabric, it is breathable which would make it the fabric of choice for a quilt.

I just finished my third down quilt/underquilt, 20oz of 800 fill, 3.5 tapering to 4.5 inches of loft in the foot end, Mom90 shell. For what it's worth here are some of my thoughts... I make a lot of gear these days, but have to fight for the time. My wife and I are both self employed and place value on our free time because it is always a choice to take it. Any time I have ever cut a corner on materials or rushed a project I have regretted it, because I will end up doing it over again later, thus spending twice the time and sometimes twice the money. Hiking and gear making is also a great source of pleasure these days and I don't really want to skimp on that. By really following through on projects and making them the way I know they should be made, I take far greater pride in the result and get higher function as well. Even with the most expensive materials, I am able to do so much more for the dollar than if I just went shopping at the store for commercial gear, and I get exactly what I want. And yes, there is anxiety with expensive material, for me less with the actual cost then when it took a long time to order and there's no extra if I blow it. I have found that the same layout tricks we use in carpentry work great in fabric. My best trick for quilts is the use of a story stick: figure your fabric dimensions for a side on paper, sketch it if need be, including baffle seam locations, hems, seam allowances, everything. Cut your stick to that final length and mark all those dimensions on it. It lets you see that everything looks right before you go marking fabric. Once you are happy with it, put your tape measure away and just use the stick to lay out the fabric, transferring the ticks. No more math errors, and then you have a stick to keep for the next time you want a quilt, assuming you like the dimensions, thus saving more time later. Just using a tape to lay out 4 quilt edges is an exercise in frustration, and if you have two marks, you WILL cut the wrong one...

I have two quilts made from Mom 90 now, and one from 1.1oz ripstop. The Momentum quilts are far nicer in feel by far, and the money I saved in nylon seems small now factored in to the number of years I will likely use it. If you are able, treat yourself to the good stuff, its's your enjoyment here.

And finally, Mom 90 is way easier to sew than 1.1, tackier on itself so less issues with alignment when on the machine. Hope your project goes well.

Christian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smartcarpie View Post

And finally, Mom 90 is way easier to sew than 1.1, tackier on itself so less issues with alignment when on the machine.

Christian
    You sold me with this statement. I've always been frustrated sewing 1.1 because of the slick issues.
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Smartcarpie

Thank you very much for the advice. I really like the idea of the story stick and I will definitely be using that. I'm an electrical engineer which means I have all the neurosis of an engineer and none of the skills of people who actually build things. I think the rigid pattern will help get things lined up properly and keep me from chucking something large and heavy through a wall.

I've ordered some swatches from Thru-hiker. I'll practice with some Wallyworld nylon and then I'll decide.

Of course, I'll be sure to write a report when my Franken-quilt is done.

FreeTheWeasel

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    And doe anyone no a cheap source for 900 fill down?
    How cheap are you looking for?

I just found a place that is selling me 3lbs for $7 an ounce...and that includes the shipping...but this is 800+FP GGD and not 900+.From what I've read, there really isn't much benifit in going from the 800 to the 900.

If you are interested, I can probably up my order and sell you some...but you've got to let me know soon, before she ships me what I've already ordered.

send me an email if you are interested.

Images
    ***This isn't directed at anyone in particular but rather meant as a general informational comment...***

According to the IDFL (International Down and Feather Laboratory) 775-780 down is 94-95% down and the rest is other allowable things. Its somewhat questionable that 900 fill down is even possible given the variances in testing and results and the fact that the IDFL doesn't tabulat e down percentage for any fill rating over 780.

It is my understanding that 100% down content in fill is next to an unknown thing and that variances in rating are the result of differences in test procedure rather than actual differences in the fill itself...

So 800 or 900 may in fact be virtually identical unless they can be verified with testing of samples of the actual down you bought.

Also legally labelling something as a certain fill or percentage allows for a 5% variance from the stated value... That means that at 800 fill a 5% variance is a value difference of 40... so actually it may vary from 760 to 840....

Further the IDFL reports a growing problem with land fowl feathers (chick plumules and other contaminants in products claiming to be down.)

Seems to make worrying about the exact number less important, and worrying about the quality and reputability of the source much more important.

Images
    hey smartcrappie, i was totally impressed with your diy pack at td's, how bout some pics of the latest uq? sounds pretty impressive, tapered baffels and all. did you use a differential cut on the two shell pieces as well?

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Don't have the funds now just interested in sourceing so I know what I have to save. Would really like free i.e. hotel pillow.LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast