WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    The rule for tents is max of two per site and they must be on the 12 x 12 tent pad. I would expect the same limit for hammocks.
    Hey Swampfox, do we know this to be a fact? Only 2 hammocks per site?
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    No Muskrat,
    That is not true. The Mrs. and I went to Devil's Fork last Thursday. Sorry it has taken me so long to post an update.
    I spoke to Ranger Evans about the group hang again just to make sure and he said it would not be a problem, especially in October when the place isn't full anyway.

The restrictions for tents is no more than two tents per site, must be on the tent pad, and no more than 6 people total per site.
    The restriction we would be held to is, no more than 6 people per site and the hammocks would have to be within the boundaries of the site, not necessarily on the tent pad.
    Don't get excited. I doubt that there is a site there that would support 6 hammocks. I would be confident that you could get 2 on any site and I know you can fit 3 on some.

Sites 1-20 are closer to the restroom/bathhouse
    Sites 21-25 have better access to the water and would be very convenient for kayaks and canoes.

Several have suggested staying away from the Linville Falls hang at the end of the month.
    Of the other 4 Saturdays, 2, 9, 16, and 23, I can make any of the last 3 and my preference would be the 16th.
    I'll post a poll as soon as I figure out how.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here is a bump.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images

dates

Would really like to make this one (for a change!), but working weekend of 16th and 23rd. 9th or 2nd would work for me!

Redbank

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    According to the Poll that was posted, the voting is as follows-
    Weekend of -
    Oct. 2- 4 votes
    Oct. 9- 7 votes
    Oct. 16- 4 votes
    Oct. 23- 6 votes (Muskrat changed from here to Oct. 9.)

With that in mind, I would propose that we
    meet at Devil's Fork State Park, the weekend of Oct. 9.
    There are two tent camping sections: sites 1-20 of which, site 13 is currently booked, and sites 21-25, of which 21, 22, and 23 are currently booked.
    You can make your reservations here.
    http://southcarolinaparks.reserveame...ex=CampingSpot

Select any site and you get a picture of the site.

For those not able to make this weekend, I would encourage you to go whenever you can.
    It is a beautiful lake.
    swampfox

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I would love to get some hardy souls to walk to the other end of Jocassee with me sometime. It's 17 miles from Bad Creek to Canebrake. 13 miles from Laurel Valley. Gorges state park has primitive sites there, and the cost is only getting your butt there by foot. You can also show up by boat, and Jocassee Outdoor Center does shuttles for $25.00.

That's probably my favorite established campsite in the world.

P. S. There is also a way to extremely near there by pickup or 4WD. Horse Pasture Rd to Canebrake Rd, and you can get to within a mile or so to the area.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I am really interested in this trip. The boating, fishing and of course hanging on such a beautiful lake is just what I need for a fall trip. Coming from Ohio, I will have to plan and get coverage for work to get the days to make it a worthwhile journey. So I am tentatively in! Any locals know about ATVing in the area?
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    Howdy Swampfox!
    Alright I can make it!!! What sites do you recommend for hanging? Could you perhaps suggest 4-5 together so we can hang as a group instead of possibly being spread around the area according to which site we reserve?

If I can get enough definates (ie. you are commiting to pay for the site) I will reserve a group of sites so we can be together if anyone is interested.

PS: Have any of you camped at the boat to area before?
    Last edited by redbank; 07-19-2010 at 13:38.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Sites 7-15 are great and all are either on or very near the water. Kind of makes you feel sorry for whoever the poor soul is that has already booked site #15 - I bet they won't know what to think about all of us crazy hammock hanging fools...

I am definately wanting to go on this trip but I have a potential conflict I am trying to resolve. As soon as I know for sure I will reserve a site for my family. Thanks for getting this thing going!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    Any locals know about ATVing in the area?
    You can park at the Laurel Valley Access on the Foothills Trail and ATV all the way to Lake Jocassee. I've never done it, but, while backpacking, I've met 4 wheelers that were.
    I'm sure there are plenty more opportunities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redbank View Post
    Howdy Swampfox!
    Alright I can make it!!! What sites do you recommend for hanging? Could you perhaps suggest 4-5 together so we can hang as a group instead of possibly being spread around the area according to which site we reserve?

If I can get enough definates (ie. you are commiting to pay for the site) I will reserve a group of sites so we can be together if anyone is interested.

PS: Have any of you camped at the boat to area before?
    Here is what the large tent section looks like.

All of these are close enough together to spend time with friends. The ones on the water, 11 - 18 would be the preemo choices IMO, but even #1 is not that far away and it's closer to the parking and bathhouse. The path into the camping area from the parking lot and the community water spigot runs right between sites 1 and 2.

I've never camped at the boat-in area but I've been there a few times. There aren't a lot of trees as I recall. There are about 20 sites with from 1 to 3 tent pads, all on the water. Somewhere over there is a port-a-john.

I would be wary of reserving for a lot of people. You don't want to get stuck or have someone complain that you should have reserved site 10 instead of 8. Just my opinion...

I'm planning to bring my boat and will not be allowed to park it or the trailer in the parking area for the tent section. It has to be parked in the "Day use" area, which is next to the other small tent section with sites 21-25. I have reserved #25 so I can be close. I realize I won't be in the main group and I don't mean to be unsociable, but I just won't sleep well imagining someone stealing my prop, battery, life jackets, etc.
    I have booked mine for fri, sat, and sun nights. That way, for $16, I can stay as long as I want to on Sunday.

One thing to make sure everyone realizes, the tent camping areas are not accessible by car. You will have to park in the parking lot and carry your gear up to 100 yards. Sites 1 and 2 will be closest and 11 and 12 will be the farthest away. There is an asphalt path connecting the sites. Many people bring something with wheels to haul their gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast