Joanns Black Lining Material

In the past I have only used ripstop nylon or parachute nylon for my DIY hammocks. However, I was never happy with the amount of stretch I got from them. Especially compared to my WBBB fabric which I believe is a nylon taffeta.

I had some free time over the weekend and hit up the fabric stores in the area looking for good deals on hammock fabric since I have to make 3-4 in the next few weeks. I found that in most stores the taffeta was as expensive as the ripstop nylon.

Joann's had some polyester and nylon taffeta for $8/yd, however, as I kept browsing through their selection I came upon a bolt of black cloth that was labeled 100% Black Lining. I had a bolt of the $8/yd taffeta in my hand and so I compared them and I came to the conclusion the Lining material is also a taffeta. It is slightly less coarse and a bit lighter, but not as smooth/light as silk lining. The best part is that it is only $4/yd and with a 50% off coupon I figured I would try it.

When I got home and compared it to the fabric on the WBBB it feels very similar, except that it is slightly less coarse, but about the same weight.

I built a double layer hammock out of it and tried it out in the yard and found it held me and didn't stretch much at all, with the WBBB whipping I couldn't tell that I wasn't laying in the WBBB with my eyes closed.

I will take some pictures of it, but I was curious if anyone else has used this material and can tell me whether I will end up on my butt in the near future.

Thanks,

BG

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Taffeta is a type of weave structure, and the fineness/coarseness is a function of the size (dernier) of the individual threads used, and Polyester usually has much less stretch than nylon fabric/fibers, so you should be fine!
    KM (who is all about re-purposing on the cheap!))

I made a hammock for the house with some white polyester liner from Jo-Anns labeled "Posh Liners", that sounds similar. I loved the feel of it, and it had a good cushioning stretch to it.

I fell asleep in it feeling great, but it seemed to "creep" out over night, to the point that it didn't lay the same after a few hours.

It could be me, no clue, but I've been happier with my 1.1 single layer nylon DIY. The stretch seems more consistent.

My material may have been a different weave though.
    The Stateless Society
    [email protected]

• + New Posts