Images

Some Mounting Questions

I've been planning an indoor setup for quite some time, but I'm very constrained for space. I want to hang a mayan in my office area, but there is other furniture there. As background info... I'm about 6'3.5" and weigh about 180 (it varies +/- 5 lbs)

The room is about 10x12 with a closet on the long end making the total size about 10x14. I've been considering hanging a padeye in the center of the outer wall (an outside wall, upstairs room) and the other padeye in the closet giving me about 14' distance and an 8' hanging height if I put the padeye right at the ceiling. When not being used the hammock could be disconnected from the outer padeye, rolled, and put on the shelf in the closet just below the closet padeye.

So far, so good, but there is some other furniture in the room. A desk just below the outer wall attachment point and a bed that is slightly taller than average that runs parallel to the mounting points (the edge of the bed would alight with the hanging empty hammock). Chair, guitar stool, and music stand could be moved out of the way. In order to make the hammock hang high enough to clear the bed I was thinking of using a ridgeline... does that make much of a difference in hanging height? (note that the ridgeline must sag some as the closet doors don't go all of the way to the ceiling) With a ridgeline could I hang off center in the room, or must I still be centered? I'd like to avoid the desk as much as possible, but I'm not sure if the ridgeline would make any difference or not. Does the ridgeline reduce stress on the walls and mounting screws by making the load more perpendicular? Will I be able to hand hight enough to avoid the bed, or will I be dragging?

I've considered selling the bed, but it wouldn't help much as the bed is right next to the wall with the door and the side with the door is cut off at an angle (the room's not quite sqaure), making that wall just long enough for the full bed, not long enough for a hammock stand.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    For a 14' span, an 8' elevation might be a bit high. I would try it out on some trees first. I have found that sometimes a step stool (I've used a camel saddle) is handy if the hammock really needs to be set too high in order to get the right sag. It makes a handy night stand, too.

A ridgeline will not make the load more vertical. It can only increase the vector. A spreader bar, on the other hand, can do exactly what you are thinking of. If you hang a 14' compression member from the ceiling and then hang your hammock from it, the load on each attachment point would be equal to 1/2 of your body weight.

If you still need to have a bed in the room, possibly you could switch the existing one out for one that is narrower and shorter? Inflatabed? Roll-up futon? In traditional Japanese homes the futon is placed directly on the floor for use and rolled/folded up and stowed in a compartment during the day.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Images
    Thanks for the reply. I don't want to go into the ceiling for various reasons.

As for height, I'm more concerned about clearing the bed than being convenient to get into. I'm a tall guy and can use my guitar stool if needed. :-) I saw somebody's post about an 8' 2x4 spreader bar on their patio, but that'd be harder to stow when not in use. It's very upsetting that I really cannot find a suitable place to hang around here without seriously sacrificing aesthetics.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    For a 14' span, an 8' elevation might be a bit high. I would try it out on some trees first. I have found that sometimes a step stool (I've used a camel saddle) is handy if the hammock really needs to be set too high in order to get the right sag. It makes a handy night stand, too.

A ridgeline will not make the load more vertical. It can only increase the vector. A spreader bar, on the other hand, can do exactly what you are thinking of. If you hang a 14' compression member from the ceiling and then hang your hammock from it, the load on each attachment point would be equal to 1/2 of your body weight.

If you still need to have a bed in the room, possibly you could switch the existing one out for one that is narrower and shorter? Inflatabed? Roll-up futon? In traditional Japanese homes the futon is placed directly on the floor for use and rolled/folded up and stowed in a compartment during the day.
    You have a camel saddle?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    BTW, just noticed that this was a subforum of "Hammock Camping"... sorry 'bout using the wrong subforum!

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    You have a camel saddle?
    You don't?
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You don't?
    No, but I now have an overwhelming desire to get one. btw, that moves you up on the hammock forums coolness scale a couple noches.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    coffee measuring coolness by nights? this does not compute..

• + New Posts