Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    No, but as in all matters, an open mind is really all you can ask for. Go out there, and make the sale!

Edited to add: Let them try out your hammock, and give them the addy for HF...bring The Man into the fold!
    What Dave said ...

Actually it's like anything ... I've seen tenter's sites that based on the pig lot they set up ... I'd be for banning camping in general if that was my only exposure to camping. Hang right, zero trace campsite and the use of webbing around the tree ... best foot forward.

Me ... I prefer stealth camping anyway unless I'm with a HF group trip. Less questions, less dealing with the "goat campers" of the world.

Hawk-eye the hermit.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

The Noah 12 is a great tarp though it is a little big for hanging on the diagonal. That being said you can hang it on the ridge and have enough left to make doors on the ends for really bad weather.

Bring a cheap plastic poncho that comes in a package the size of a bar of soap. Use it for rain gear or shielding anywhere that needs it.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    I agree with Hawk-eye on the benefits of a large tarp. I've seen it suggested that a small tarp affords better views, and better views is an important factor. Even in my ground dwelling days I preferred a tarp to a tent for this reason. But, as suggested by Hawk-eye, in inclement weather, a small tarp offers less views than a large tarp.

And, a small tarp may be able to keep you dry in your hammock, but I want to be dry in my camp. My hammock is comfortable, but I don't want to spend 24 hours/day in it. With a large tarp I can stay dry not only in my hammock, but also have a dry space to move around a bit, cook, change clothes, or entertain company. With silnylon, the extra weight of the larger tarp is minimal, and is a non-issue given that Alphahawk will be car camping.

While car camping one has the car as a dry haven, but the inside of a car is not a great place to cook or change clothes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    AlphaHawk, any change in your status?
    Are you a hanger?
    Regards
    Tom

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I were car camping, I'd probably take a large tarp and a small tarp. Backpacking, I almost always take a MacCat Standard (small only by today's standards, as AS posted above). If I'm camping with Joker, we'll usually have the MacCat and the JRB 8x8, and sleep only under the MacCat. (If two people can stay dry under a MacCat Standard, it's certainly plenty for one person.)

In the winter I've been taking the JRB 11x10...always when Joker comes and usually when I'm alone.

So...as AS said, what's needed to stay dry vs what's needed to make you feel comfortable that you'll stay dry are two different things.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    AlphaHawk, any change in your status?
    Are you a hanger?
    Regards
    Tom
    Tom, I guess to be a hanger you have to spend a night out in one...LOL. That I have not done yet. I have had trouble with both knees for years and also take blood thinner. Not to get too far into medical history here but I am taking Synvisc injections in both knees and can't stray far from home yet. I do take the hammock fishing with me and hang it and take a nap at or around noon. It has been really hot here and it really is nice to be able to do that with very little effort to put up or take down...but I don't get much sleep as people are constantly bugging me and wanting to know all about it. Thank God for the forum though. I was worried about rain and my questions were answered....but I never expected the stretch in nylon straps...being cold when the low is only 65. I am glad I did not get 200 miles from home and be dry, but my lard butt be on the ground and my backside be freezing.

Regards

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Alphahawk- back to your original question; how does the rain not come in from the ends in a windy situation? I have big trees where I am at so the trees block the rain if it is blowing end to open end. You can also close off the ends in bad weather. Bigger tapes like the one you bought make this easier. Hope others from your area with similar sized trees come back to your original question. It was a good question that I don't feel has been fully answered yet, and we have enough people with the experience to answer it.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Alphahawk- back to your original question; how does the rain not come in from the ends in a windy situation? I have big trees where I am at so the trees block the rain if it is blowing end to open end. You can also close off the ends in bad weather. Bigger tapes like the one you bought make this easier. Hope others from your area with similar sized trees come back to your original question. It was a good question that I don't feel has been fully answered yet, and we have enough people with the experience to answer it.

Bat
    Thanks for the reply. You are right about the trees. As I have said I will be car camping at the so called primitive sites. One I was looking at was a walk in site...only have to walk about 400 yards...still that is a long way to be carrying coolers and so on. But the site would be great for protection from sun, rain, or wind. When you are at the camp site and you look up at all the over growth of trees you can see that it would be hard to get wet even in a blowing rain. For all you back packers I think you may have a better choice of trees to hang from. I am finding out just doing my walk through at TVA and Corp Of Engineer camp grounds that it can sometimes be difficult to get a good site for a hammock.....that affords protection from rain...sun...wind. Some are very good while others have no camp sites at all that would make for good hanging in a blowing rain. I am not a DIY kind of guy. I have seen lots of great ideas on here about tarps. For years on my way to one of my fishing holes I passed a little community in the middle of nowhere and there was a roadside sign that said "Tarp Shop". I always wondered what kind of work that guy would do with tarps. Now I know. Stopped in to see him and told him about hammock camping and might bring him some ideas to modify my Kelty Noah. He told me just to let him know and he can do it....pull outs....doors...whatever. He even suggested since the Kelty was only 59 bucks I could buy another one that he could cut up to make doors or whatever I wanted in order to keep it all looking nice or if I wanted he could use some of his stock. All those years of passing that shop and knowing I would never have a reason to stop in there...go figure.

Regards

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234