Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Newbie question about rain

I am soon to purchase an ENO sleep system. It will save me around 100 bucks a week. I drive 100 miles one way to fish somewhere at least 5 days a week. My car is small and a tent and all that would go with that is out of the question. A hammock system seems perfect. I just need a place to sleep. I am getting the ENO at REI..if I don't like it I can always get my money back. They also sell the Hennessy system so I am sure someone will chime in on which one is better. I have camped a lot and rain has always been the culprit. At age 59 I just don't like dealing with wet sleeping quarters anymore. I have read many threads on this forum and have done a lot of research on hammock systems and rain and blowing rain. Everyone says if the fly is draped correctly rain is no problem. I can see that a straight down rain would not be a problem and I can also see that a blowing rain from either side would not be a problem but for the life of me could someone please tell me how a blowing rain from end to end is not a problem with a hammock system. I have looked at dozens of pics on this forum...and other places....from folks who say they have never had a problem with blowing rain. But looking at all the pics of correctly setup hammocks I don't see how a rain cannot blow in to one coming from end to end...meaning blowing the direction of the ridge line. I have never seen a hammock setup other than in photos so maybe without the 3d visual I am missing something. Could someone please explain? By the way seems like a great forum.

Regards

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    best practice is to set up so that you start out crosswise to the wind; if this is not possible, put the tarp so it is close to the hammock, which will reduce the entry opening; then use/add side pullouts for interior space; 3rd option- tarp with doors (large) or the grizz-beak add-on to provide doors at one end(windward).
    Hope this helps! KM
    (also the rain is still falling after it comes in under the tarp- so if your hammock is still above the 'glide path' of the drops you should be fine..)

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    My car is small and a tent and all that would go with that is out of the question.

I think that a hammock and all that goes with it will take up a similar amount of space as a tent. Just FYI

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Best option for rain is a big tarp. (As kermegan said)
    Here's some pics of my 8x11 basic rectangle tarp.
    gargoyles hammock 043.JPG
    Normal set up

gargoyles hammock 050.JPG
    With the corners pulled in creating "doors".

gargoyles hammock 051.JPG
    Side view of how the corners pulled in creating doors looks.

I can completely close the gap, if needed. This 'closed door' set up eliminates the rain from blowing in.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. Am on my way to get my hammock. As for it taking up less space than a tent in my car...let me clarify. I want to stand up, that means large tent...sleep above the ground...that would require a cot. The hammock can stay in my car and never have to come out. As I stated in my post I will only sleep in it. I will rise at dawn and chase fish all day and shower at night and go to sleep. As for rain, I fish in the rain...but not lightning. Am quite excited about this and I hope it works out. For the last 2 years I have put 90,000 miles on my vehicle and bought a ton of gas because I did not want to hassle with a large tent and cot and plus no room for all of that. My 14 year old great nephew turned me on to the hammock sleeping systems. I will post a follow up after a few trips and let you know how it is working out. Once again thanks for the replies...they gave me some good ideas.

Regards

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    alpha, are purchasing just the eno hammock, or the complete eno system?
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Get the hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Thanks for the input. Am on my way to get my hammock. As for it taking up less space than a tent in my car...let me clarify. I want to stand up, that means large tent...sleep above the ground...that would require a cot. The hammock can stay in my car and never have to come out. As I stated in my post I will only sleep in it. I will rise at dawn and chase fish all day and shower at night and go to sleep. As for rain, I fish in the rain...but not lightning. Am quite excited about this and I hope it works out. For the last 2 years I have put 90,000 miles on my vehicle and bought a ton of gas because I did not want to hassle with a large tent and cot and plus no room for all of that. My 14 year old great nephew turned me on to the hammock sleeping systems. I will post a follow up after a few trips and let you know how it is working out. Once again thanks for the replies...they gave me some good ideas.

Regards
    ===> Dude... get the hammock! I used to fish 240+ days per year back in the day. Bass tourneys, mostly. Not much anymore. I am a certified Fly fishing Instructor now for LL Bean, and a Master Fishing Instructor for the State Dept of Fish and Wildlife, so I still fish a fair bit. Ergo, I travel a fair bit! Having recently taken-up hammocking, I can tell you that based on my limited experience, THIS is the way to go!

I will be doing a hammock camping/fly fishing hang the next two days in NH ....posting the trip results and pics here. But his this the way to go!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I am using a HH Expedition with larger Camo Hex Fly; Bushbuddy stove. Whitebox Alcohol Stove; SOTO Reactor gas stove, general fire pit.

GO, hang, and enjoy! Tight Lines!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Best option for rain is a big tarp.
    I don't want to single you out gargoyle...I just want to respond about tarps in the rain in general.

Hammockers have been camping comfortably (and dry) in the rain for a long time before the extremely large winter tarps with doors have been available. Staying dry, even with a modest tarp, is a matter of good site selection and proper tarp pitch.

For site selection, pay attention to what's around you. Find natural wind breaks (lee side of hills or bluffs, behind thick underbrush stands or lines of trees, etc). Avoid the edge of open meadows or balds. And do your best to always set up perpendicular to the direction of the prevailing winds. This is very possible, if you pay attention.

For proper pitch, it depends more on the specific tarp. But the biggest tip is to be sure that the ridge of your tarp is as low and tight to the ridgeline of your hammock as possible. That makes the most of coverage your tarp does provide.... And in really heavy storms, hang lower than you normally might, to keep the edges of the tarp low to cut wind as possible. Finally, secure the tarp as tightly as possible. A good taut pitch (along with well secured guylines) will flap less, and shed rain and wind more readily than one pitched in a more sloppy fashion.

I've ridden out many severe storms under various small hexagonal tarps, and have been happy and dry while doing it. In fact, I greatly prefer a smaller tarp in most conditions due to the extra views, and ability to set up in tighter spaces. Only when I know I'll venture into deep winter conditions do I opt for doors.

It's a very recent phenomena that so many folks are carrying oversized tarps that were designed for winter use. It bears worth remembering that those tarps are a luxury, not a necessity, if one takes the time to learn to pitch and use a smaller tarp to it's fullest.

I think that it would be good for hammockers of all sorts to focus as much on the skills and techniques of using their gear as they do on the gear itself...

My .02
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I've stayed dry in a blow with the old standard HH fly ... but that said. I like the larger tarps much better. All boils down for me for the view! Even in a bad blow if I've done a good job selecting my site ... I have a large "porch" to hang out in and enjoy the wind and the rain instead of being cooped up in my hammock.

Just my personal preference ... doesn't make it right for everyone though.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

The Pointy Horns of the Dilemma

But.

Do I pick my site for cool, bug free ventilation, and gamble that it won't rain? Or.....?

Decisions, decisions.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast