Tarp
    Superfly w/Doors
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj.Webbing Suspen

HH Explorer Deluxe or WB Blackbird ?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the Hammock world and am looking for advice on two hammocks I've been checking out . I'm 5'11" , 235lbs. I was interested in anyones opinion on the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and the Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 oz. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance .

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    The WBBB has a cult following here, and I think opinions are biased towards WB because Warbonnetguy is a well-liked participating member here and Tom Hennessy is not. Most people will also say the WBBB is far more comfortable.

I have both a WBBB and HH, except my BB is the 1.0. I can't say that there is much of a difference in comfort, but the WB fabric is far nicer than HH. The WB webbing is so much easier to use than HH cord, and it is very easy to replace with Whoopie Slings if you so desire. The zipper on the WB is a nice feature as it allows you to really open the hammock up and enjoy the outdoors--the HH is more of a capsule. The WBBB shelf is what really makes the difference for me. On the other hand, a HH is immediately available and WBBB's are usually on backorder. You do get a small tarp included with a HH, which makes a HH less expensive.

I don't think HH get enough credit here on HF, but the WBBB is a nicer hammock. You won't make a wrong choice, but you'll probably be happier with the WBBB...

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I love my BB, so my vote is for that. For all the reasons Trooper stated, ad more, the BB is a winner for sure.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    What Trooper said. If you go with the Explorer (which is what I have) budget an extra $50 for the 2QZQ zipper mod. With a zipper mod you can turn the Explorer into a convertible (no bugnet overhead). A wonderful feature. With the Blackbird you're always dealing with the bugnet being over at least part of the hammock. IMHO the ability to get the bugnet out of the way is important so you can easily adjust your under quilt.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    What Trooper said. If you go with the Explorer (which is what I have) budget an extra $50 for the 2QZQ zipper mod. With a zipper mod you can turn the Explorer into a convertible (no bugnet overhead). A wonderful feature. With the Blackbird you're always dealing with the bugnet being over at least part of the hammock. IMHO the ability to get the bugnet out of the way is important so you can easily adjust your under quilt.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/
    Knotty, et al,

HH now makes the Explorer model with the zipper top... Check out the HH web site.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP
    Tarp
    HH double hex
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Knotty, et al,

HH now makes the Explorer model with the zipper top... Check out the HH web site.

Pan
    Yes this is true

I have the explorer deluxe with top zipper and double hex tarp (huge) and snake skins - all for the same price as the standard.

Frankly - I sold my wb-bb once I got the Deluxe, in my opinion it is a better deal. everything for under $200 - that's a bargain in any one's language.
    Last edited by Kudu; 06-20-2010 at 22:29.
    If I have seen further - it is by standing on the shoulders of giants

Salt water the final frontier

"Tread softly and breathe slowly"

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    Love my HH. Don't see a need for the shelf myself as the HH has a small organizer hanging from the ridgeline. I just clip on a stuff sack with other stuff on the mitten hooks that also come installed on the HH ridgeline. In the snakeskins, also included, it makes a tidy package. A well thought out complete system. The BB are nice, but I have never regretted getting my second HH. Nine years with the first one so maybe I'm stuck in my ways. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I met Tom at the ADZPCTKO years ago. Bought my first set of snakeskins out of the trunk of his car. Nice guy. Just because he doesn't post here is no reason to poo poo the HH.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've got the HH Explore Deluxe and the WB Black Bird in 1.7Dbl, and comfort wise I would say there is a (subjective) 10-15% comfort improvement in the BB over the Exp Dlx. The only real reason I switched from the Exp Dlx was because I had issues with the need to spread out the HH at the foot end to get the flatest lay (I have significant tearing in my calf muscles from a training accident). The WB footbox solves this issue nicely.
    The only downside to the WB is that I find it more finicky to fit my under quilts to it.
    The leg issue was the only thing that got me out of the HH and into the WB. The HH is a great hammock that lays flat and does the job of being an all in one, easy to set up system. In a perfect world you would have the chance to try out both to find out which is perfect for you, but I don't think you will be unhappy with the Hennessy if you want an all in one setup at a great price.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've got both and sleep in both. My biggest issue with the Hennessy Hammocks is the placement of the tieouts. They are not positioned in a good place if you're a back sleeper, which I am. I can't get real hard on the diagonal because the tieout is at the knee instead of the foot. The footbox on the Blackbirds, by contrast, is well thought-out and an effective placement for a back sleeper.

By the way, Hennessy Hammocks did have their day. At one point in time, Hennessys were the favored hammocks on the forums. Blackbirds are more popular for reasons beyond the 'popularity'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've got both and sleep in both. My biggest issue with the Hennessy Hammocks is the placement of the tieouts. They are not positioned in a good place if you're a back sleeper, which I am. I can't get real hard on the diagonal because the tieout is at the knee instead of the foot. The footbox on the Blackbirds, by contrast, is well thought-out and an effective placement for a back sleeper.

By the way, Hennessy Hammocks did have their day. At one point in time, Hennessys were the favored hammocks on the forums. Blackbirds are more popular for reasons beyond the 'popularity'.
    Cannibal,

I'm not sure that your statement on popularity is sustainable....For chatter on this site the WBBB is very popular... One might argue that many HH users don't post counter points fo their HHs due to simply not wanting to get into contests on very similiar products.

There are thousands of HH sold yearly from hundreds, if not thousands, of retail outlets...Clearly larger numbers than the hundreds of sales presumable from posts on HF.

The WBBB "footbox' is on the top vs the bottom...The actual bottom dimensions are quite similiar to HH and thus the similiarity in lay...I agree that it lets the top shift to softer coverage thus a roomier top, which is a nice benefit.

The tie out benefit of HH is an oft missed value IMHO...These tieouts besides the hammock formative value enable exact placement and guarenteed night long coverage by under quilts...This is a major benefit that the WBB does not offer.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast