Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    I'm not sure that your statement on popularity is sustainable....For chatter on this site the WBBB is very popular... One might argue that many HH users don't post counter points fo their HHs due to simply not wanting to get into contests on very similiar products.
    Sounds like it's time for one of Headchange's annual polls.
    The tie out benefit of HH is an oft missed value IMHO...These tieouts besides the hammock formative value enable exact placement and guarenteed night long coverage by under quilts...This is a major benefit that the WBB does not offer.
    For a full length quilt, I agree...sort of. Although, I have no issues with either my SnugFit or MW3 staying in place on my Blackbirds; I sleep pretty still. But, since the only time I use a full length UQ is when I'm car camping or testing, the tieout positions being more accommodating to a full length quilt isn't of much value to me.

Still, your point is taken. HHs are probably the most simple of the technical hammocks to 'get set'. They come out of the box with a workable tarp and the quilts you guys make are optimized to fit on them very nicely, which I'm sure does reduce the curve a bit. Comfort will always be a debate, but for this hanger, I'm much more comfortable in a Blackbird. If Brandon could get his hands of some of that hyperlite fabric, I'd be in Heaven.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I had one of the HH's for a short time that I got for 1/2 price at Trail Days. It was the newer ultralight backpacker asym with the zipper already installed. I thought it was a very nice hammock. The material felt like I was sleeping on a cot (firmer and somewhat rougher but in no way unpleasantly rough) where the material of the WBBB feels more like sleeping on satin sheets.

I liked one aspect of the HH better than the WBBB. I'm a hot sleeper. In fact, it sounds like Dutch and I need to get together and have a sweating contest. Where the HH out-shined the WBBB (for me) was that on the WBBB, you somewhat lie in a trough--a deep trough. The material tends to wrap around you and high on the sides and prevents airflow, even when staked out fairly aggressively. On the model of the HH that I had, the combination of the position of the zipper, the material, etc. allows much better airflow. It also allows a more open view. With the WBBB, the shelf side blocks your view in addition to airflow.

I traded the HH for a WBBB and now have three WBBBs. Why? I found the HH backpacker model just a little too short for my use. I couldn't quite lay flat. I bought it for my son, and it fit him fine. But, he's growing fast, and with two other WBBBs, he was the odd-man out. I had a chance to swap my HH for a WBBB with a HF member, and my son could grow into the WBBB, and it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do a swap like that where both parties ended up happy.

For me, the WBBB length and footbox just make for a more comfortable night's sleep. The shelf on the WBBB is handy. It wouldn't make or break the deal for me, but it is handy. The webbing straps on the WBBB are easier and faster than the lashing method of the HH, but the integrated tarp is nice on the HH and would work for most situations. If the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym with Zipper had been a foot longer, I wouldn't have swapped it.

The HH is made in China. The WBBB is made in Colorado by a HF member. That makes a difference for some people.

They are both very nice hammocks. Both resell very well, so you can try them without worrying about losing money. There are plenty of people that will pay full price for a WBBB that has only been tested just to get their hands on one more quickly.

Good luck with your decision.

Salty

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Cannibal,

I'm not sure that your statement on popularity is sustainable....For chatter on this site the WBBB is very popular... One might argue that many HH users don't post counter points fo their HHs due to simply not wanting to get into contests on very similiar products.

There are thousands of HH sold yearly from hundreds, if not thousands, of retail outlets...Clearly larger numbers than the hundreds of sales presumable from posts on HF.

The WBBB "footbox' is on the top vs the bottom...The actual bottom dimensions are quite similiar to HH and thus the similiarity in lay...I agree that it lets the top shift to softer coverage thus a roomier top, which is a nice benefit.

The tie out benefit of HH is an oft missed value IMHO...These tieouts besides the hammock formative value enable exact placement and guarenteed night long coverage by under quilts...This is a major benefit that the WBB does not offer.

Pan
    Pan...
    I've always found your "willingness" to critique other manufactures products interesting.
    To be fair, I'm sure you have forgotten more about hammocks and quilts than I'll ever know and your insight and expertice is a valuable resource.
    have a swell day!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i think there both really good hammocks...
    i do like the WBBB alitte more...but it has more to do with the little extras you get with the WBBB like the footbox and the shelf .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Meagabite, welcome to the forum! I think you could not go wrong with either brand. I have both. Explorer was first. Used it many years before BB. Liked the bottom slit, nice at heavy mosquito time, seems not to let many skeeters in when you enter. Thats a nice feature. Total set-up is another good feature,although I ended up going with larger tarp for more rain protection. HH is a good starting hammock. I use my BB more now because of the strap suspension being easier to hang and it seems to more roomier and I do like the footbox aswell. Bottom line, IMO you will not go wrong choosing either. Just take a look at at each hammock features and see what fits you best. Good luck on choosing!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 , Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly w/Doors
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj.Webbing Suspen

Thanks for all your input

I just wanted to thank everyone for their commets and suggestions . You all have been more helpful than you may realize in helping me make my decision. F.Y.I. I'll be ordering the WBBB with the Superfly and doors. Just 2 weeks ago I was going to order a $35.00 hammock from ebay. My only question now is where do I post for donations for my new gear. Just Kidding .

Thanks again everyone , John

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    The WBBB has a cult following here, and I think opinions are biased towards WB because Warbonnetguy is a well-liked participating member here and Tom Hennessy is not. Most people will also say the WBBB is far more comfortable.

I have both a WBBB and HH, except my BB is the 1.0. I can't say that there is much of a difference in comfort, but the WB fabric is far nicer than HH. The WB webbing is so much easier to use than HH cord, and it is very easy to replace with Whoopie Slings if you so desire. The zipper on the WB is a nice feature as it allows you to really open the hammock up and enjoy the outdoors--the HH is more of a capsule. The WBBB shelf is what really makes the difference for me. On the other hand, a HH is immediately available and WBBB's are usually on backorder. You do get a small tarp included with a HH, which makes a HH less expensive.

I don't think HH get enough credit here on HF, but the WBBB is a nicer hammock. You won't make a wrong choice, but you'll probably be happier with the WBBB...
    I also have both hammocks and I agree with everything you said.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jmegabite View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their commets and suggestions . You all have been more helpful than you may realize in helping me make my decision. F.Y.I. I'll be ordering the WBBB with the Superfly and doors. Just 2 weeks ago I was going to order a $35.00 hammock from ebay. My only question now is where do I post for donations for my new gear. Just Kidding .

Thanks again everyone , John
    I also have the WBBB and the superfly with doors. you will be very happy. I love mine.

Hammock
    Hennessy so far
    Tarp
    Explorer..so far
    Insulation
    HSS
    Suspension
    Repel Rings
    Well...It all goes down to simplicity. And because Simplicity on the trail is essential. I would have to say the Hennessy Hammock ultralite Explorer. And I would add a Super Shelter on it to boot.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I only have a HH so can't speak to the WBBB. I love my HH Explorer Ultralite Zip, but also made some modifications to it. I don't use the included rainfly, I also cut the cordage and tied a bowline to a carabiner and use hummingbird hammock tree straps. Overall love it though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast