Okay this is going to sound a bit kooky but I think it might have merit in some way. Last night I slept with just a neat sheet. Around 5 or so I got chilly and looked at my watch and it read 68 degrees. After awhile I got up and got more coverage. While going back to sleep it occurred to me that this might actually be useful information.
I consider myself a coldish sleeper. I wouldn't say really cold but not warm. I know I've slept comfortably with the neatsheet at 70 degrees. So it occurred to me that 68 is my threshold for using the sheet. Or more specifically the temperature at which I start to get chilly.
What's the big deal?
Well, we often talk about adequate insulation, keeping warm, etc. and some people will just add a footnote that they are a cold or warm sleeper. The same goes for how much loft do I need, etc. and so on. Of course everyone is different and there is just general guidelines on what kind of rating you can get for a quilt, sleeping bag, underquilt, etc.
So, perhaps , this is a means of getting one more bit of information to go by. Neat sheets are readily available, reasonably cheap, useful, and for our purposes designed the same way. Because it's the same product, everyone can find their comfort level with the sheet. This is a good time of year to find where your threshold is because of dipping temps.
So if someone is describing a product or sleep condition they can tell us their threshold temp with the neat sheet. I'm kind of curious if it's all that different or if some people are comfortable down to 60 and others only to 75. Acronyms seem to be popular, so NSTT 68 would tell you the type of temperature sleeper I am.