Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so, I got my tarp today and it's different than described

...and I'm wondering what everyone thinks. This is a quote from Warbonnet's website:

Our silnylon tarps have lightweight low-stretch polyester edge binding along the edges and on the ridgeline. This gives them the ability to handle higher wind speeds than many tarps.

The problem is, the tarp I got, the Superfly, doesn't have the polyester edge binding along the edges like described above and shown in all the pictures on the website. The edges are all just hemmed instead. This was a major selling point to me. Does anyone think that the polyester edges are actually an advantage? I have an ENO fly (much smaller) that has edging on it and I like that. Is this something, in your opinion, that I should talk to Warbonnet about?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Going from memory here, but I seem to recall Brandon talking about the edge binding not having much effect and he was thinking about just hemming them to save a few more grams. The ridgeline still has the binding, yes? I'd be upset if that was gone because it really does do an amazing job of allowing the tarp to be pulled very very tight in high wind conditions. I doubt there is any difference in performance from the edge binding, more aesthetics IMO.

However, you are the customer and are entitled to know what you're getting. Brandon is pretty good about customer service, I'd give him a call and see what he says.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I know WBG did a lot of testing on his tarps, and came to the conclusion that he was getting just as tight a pitch without the perimeter edging, and that's why he removed it from the design. Admittedly his site needs to be updated to reflect that.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

This is helpful and why I haven't called yet - it's nice to get people's opinions on whether it's nice to have it before I decide if I want to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The ridgeline still has the binding, yes?
    Yes, it does.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I like the edge binding on my warbonnet tarp, but if it pitches as tight without it, you can definitely save some weight. I agree that Brandon should update his site to reflect the changes, though.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    One other thing to note is that when he removed the edge binding, he changed his corner reinforcement method also. It is another upgrade from what is pictured on his site.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3-Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    so there is no edging to the tarp? I have a big mamajamba on order. how will this effect the strength/ durability of the tarp? i went with this tarp because it looked like it had better durability.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe the binding material that Brandon uses is the kind that goes inside the hemmed edged. You might of been expecting to see the kind that goes on the outside, kind of like grossgain being folded over and then sewed on. So it could be a slight interpretation variation that is occurring here.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    Maybe the binding material that Brandon uses is the kind that goes inside the hemmed edged. You might of been expecting to see the kind that goes on the outside, kind of like grossgain being folded over and then sewed on. So it could be a slight interpretation variation that is occurring here.
    No, there is no binding at all and it doesn't look like what is pictured.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast