Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Wisenber, the new rules should be posted the day they take effect, at least that's how they did it last year. You should already be able to pick up a copy of the new rules at any place that sells a license.
    Unfortunately I can not get away due to work, we are currently working Saturdays as well. But I'm really looking forward to going on a trip with some of you guys so I can talk hammock stuff with you all.

I'll look around, since I'm curious anyway and see if anyone has posted the new rules yet.

As far as which state, that is purely a matter of opinion it seems. There are pros & cons to each. Considering the area you are going to, I personally would choose NC.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    I found this, it is a PDF.
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/docum...aring_Book.pdf

It lists the proposed changes to the rules for 2010 - 2011 season.
    The section for mountain trout fishing starts on page 8.

If you want you could also ask at this site, there is also an article about the new rules.
    http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com/
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    This is starting to look interesting....I may opt in for this trip if I can work it out....now to see if I can even FIND my 4w flyrod, or to just punt and grab a handful of woolybuggers and my UL spin outfit....I'll have to blow the dust off of all of it!

The embarrassing thing is that I can walk to the Chattahoochee River from my house and catch rainbows & browns every day if I want...and haven't done it in 2 years.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Thanks for the links Trouthunter! I just bit the bullet and ordered an NC license and trout stamp on line a while ago. I'll pick up my TN license here in the next few days.

This looks to be shaping up as quite an outing. I've hiked through the area but have not fished it. I'm looking forward to getting down there!
    If this trips shapes up to be mostly fishing, we might e able to start and finish at Farr Gap. The Stiff Knee trail leading to the Slickrock trail is 3.2 miles of pretty challenging hiking. It also follows the upper part of Little Slickrock Creek leading into Slickrock Creek. I figure we can beat the heat by setting camp near one of the waterfalls and take advantage of the steady breeze.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    This is starting to look interesting....I may opt in for this trip if I can work it out....now to see if I can even FIND my 4w flyrod, or to just punt and grab a handful of woolybuggers and my UL spin outfit....I'll have to blow the dust off of all of it!

The embarrassing thing is that I can walk to the Chattahoochee River from my house and catch rainbows & browns every day if I want...and haven't done it in 2 years.
    Come on up!
    I'm looking at trying one of the Tenkara rods and skip the reel altogether.

A word of caution, since this is classified as "wild trout water", I believe it is single hook and artificial lures only.

Now if we can just find some blackberries or blueberries, we will be eating pretty good!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Wisenber....do i need BOTH TN and NC liscenses or can I get buy with just one?
    also i've never fly fished so this may turn into a flying fishing learning experience of which i'd be grateful.
    I'll go to the outfitter tomorrow and get setup with a rod/flies/etc. and while there get a TN liscense unless I hear otherwise.
    I do think one of your goals is to hang on Bob's Bald, right? Surely we can have a fly-fishing experience and the bald experience?
    If you can send a link to the NC site where you ordered liscense and stamp.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Come on up!
    I'm looking at trying one of the Tenkara rods and skip the reel altogether.

A word of caution, since this is classified as "wild trout water", I believe it is single hook and artificial lures only.

Now if we can just find some blackberries or blueberries, we will be eating pretty good!
    Man - I have to check into those in more detail! I hate to say it, but it looks like a collapsible, high-tech cane pole! All kidding aside, it looks very similar to the method one of my buddies uses with his UL spinning gear - he "sling-shots" his flies/spinners on a long rod. Most of the free-stone streams here in N GA are so tight that a long fly rod is a bit problematic, especially for those of us (me) that are not, shall we say, "proficient" in the finer points of the art? In other words, I spend more time hung up than I do fishing!

When I last fished the Citico on the TN side it was much further down in the stocked part, so I'm not surprised that the higher NC water would be considered a wild fishery. We have several trophy and/or catch and release streams here in N GA, so I have an entire kit of barbless flies available. I've never managed to land anything larger than a 16" rainbow on it, just don't have the skill.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    also i've never fly fished so this may turn into a flying fishing learning experience of which i'd be grateful.
    I'll go to the outfitter tomorrow and get setup with a rod/flies/etc. and while there get a TN liscense unless I hear otherwise.
    I do think one of your goals is to hang on Bob's Bald, right? Surely we can have a fly-fishing experience and the bald experience?
    MM - don't let them sell you the top end stuff - if you are truly a beginner then you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a good kit. Collecting fly fishing gear is worse than hammocks and stoves, and potentially MUCH more expensive of a hobby!

Sweeper

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I went ahead and bought a full year's non-resident license and trout stamp for $40 here. I looked, and you can also get a 10 day non-resident license and trout stamp for $20. The site will direct you to some NC state web-site which requires that pop-ups are enabled. You'll have to create a user. When you are finished, you can print out a temporary 15 day license if you bought the 1 year one which should be good until you get your actual one in the mail.

We can fit fishing and Bob's Bald in, but it would probably require cooking an early dinner then hiking up to the bald to set camp. We might have to do a bit of hiking after dark (or at least later), but it is doable.

If we set camp on the bald after dark, it will be VERY helpful to have a GPS. The cloud cover and lack of distinctive features makes wandering around the top pretty likely (been there done that). I usually make a cairn or something where I come into the clearing just so that I can identify it again.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I've got to learn this skill. I've been following a friends progress on the AT..he started on Mt.K SoBo and carried a little fly rod along the way and on numerous nights has eaten freshly caught fish. With todays modern materials I bet there is no excuse not to carry a rod/reel/etc. for camp entertainment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast