Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug

First mid-30s degree trip (Still new to Hammocking)

I was out this week in the hills in Northern PA and it was in the mid-30's with frost in many areas. I was using a Walmart CCF blue pad with the corners cut off (Thanks Forum folks for the tip) and my Mont-Bell Super Down Hugger#2 (oh...and my Henessy).

I placed the pad in the hammock assymetrically and then unzipped the bag to about 2" from the bottom and place it on it's side, so the zipper side was straight up.
    I then sat in the hammock and smoothed the bag behind me and laid back.
    Putting my feet into the sleeping bag pocket and shifting about for about 3 minutes (shifting, grunting and groaning also warms you up ), before pulling the zipper closed on the bag.

Since it was a clear night, I left one side of the tarp pulled back for a view of the stars.
    At 2AM, I was getting cold from a slight breeze through the open mesh. I got up, peed and then pulled the tarp over the side and into a prearranged stake.
    Went back to sleep and slept warm as a bug in a hammock, until I awoke at 7AM.

I kept my fleece jacket at my head, so it was easy to conform it into a pillow-head-warmer-neck supporter at any time during the night.

I did notice my elbows would get cold occasionally - I like the idea of perhaps a less thick pad, but wider at the shoulders.

On night two, (low 30's) I did the same thing, except closed the hammock tarp down at the start. I stayed warm all night except the elbows. In addition, I noticed I hung my head a little higher than my feet (I was on sloping ground and tried to get it as level as possible). I slid down several times at night and found my feet were cold and pushing against the end of the hammock and had to "inch" my way back to the head end again.

It takes practice, but I definitely like sleeping above the ground. I did get bombed by acorns several times (I was tied near an old oak) which caused me to jump awake each time and lie there until I realized what it was.
    I also drifted off to sleep wondering if a bear bit my behind while sleeping, would he spit me out because of the closed foam, or bite again...deeper.

Images
    That's a pretty succesful first hammock/ cold weather attempt! Sounds like you wisely studied up first! Good for you! I lot of us find, with the HH anyway, that we need to hang the foot end a few inches higher than the head end, or we slide towards the footend.
    Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another vote for the feet slightly higher than the head. I use this with all my hammocks, not just my HH. The torso weighs a lot more than the legs (beer belly) so it keeps gravity in check and leaves me where I lay.

Congrats on a successful hang in cold weather. I've got to get out soon and see how my set-up will work now that it's getting chilly at night.

TWS

*note to self---avoid the oak trees.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report - your first time was more successful than mine! I used an overbag so I had three layers of sleeping bag under me and one over me...it was so windy I was still cold and didn't get much sleep.

So good job! Might try looking into the SPE at www.speerhammocks.com. Or making your own - they're pretty easy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Congrats on the first successful cool weather hang. Much better than my first few attempts at keeping warm and dry.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Another vote for the feet slightly higher than the head. I use this with all my hammocks, not just my HH. The torso weighs a lot more than the legs (beer belly) so it keeps gravity in check and leaves me where I lay.
    I hang the head end right next to the tree and the foot end gets the extra length. Works pretty good for keeping my un-saggy. Maybe just luck.

Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug
    Thanks for the tips folks.....
    I just retrieved my hammock from hanging on the front porch to dry out completely and used my snakeskins to pack it up. It is so cool. My wife was commenting about what a small package it was to take the place of a tent, groundcloth and sleeping pad (warm weather).

I will remember feet higher than head and also try head closer to tree.

• + New Posts