Expedition Asym and Super Shelter or Jungle Hammock?

I am looking to buy a hammock system that will allow me to use it here in KY in the summers, and on the trips to the Boundary Waters in spring and fall when temps get down to low 40's and upper 30's.

The Expendition Asym and the super shelter will cost $20 more then the Deep Jungle hammock that has the double lining and the insulation pad.

Is one better then the other? Any reason to spend the extra $20? It seems to me that if you are going to buy the Super shelter, you might as well go for the Deep Jungle.

Also looked at War Bonnet but that is going to be another $30 to $70 depending on options. I want to stay under $300 for a three season system.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    what i would do...this is just me....is get the warbonnet black bird....and get a IX UQ from mac....the IX UQ will work for the temps you are looking at
    also you can use the IX UQ with other hammocks...the SS you can not unless it's another HH

and you should have some $$$ left over for a cheap tarp..
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

best i can tell, the underquilt is $130. . .with the War bonnet hammock and fly I would be well over $300.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter +
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just my two cents as it is all personal choices...

The exped asym and super shelter is a very versatile rig. Big difference I see (haven't personally played with the deep jungle) is that the super shelter is silnylon as opposed to the breathable second layer in the jungle hammock. It provides some wind resistance and a few degrees of extra comfort in and of itself even before adding insulation. I've hung in 22° with the SS and the open cell foam pad, a blue closed cell foam pad and the space blanket. Each of these items plays a role at various temperature levels.

Down side to the super shelter is getting the darn thing fitted on right the first time. I practiced with it before hanging for real.

Lots of blackbird aficionados around here but I wasn't any more comfortable in it than in the HH Exped.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post
    best i can tell, the underquilt is $130. . .with the War bonnet hammock and fly I would be well over $300.
    the IX UQ is $60 .......

i posted a link on your other post about 3 season setups...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
    Just my two cents as it is all personal choices...

The exped asym and super shelter is a very versatile rig. Big difference I see (haven't personally played with the deep jungle) is that the super shelter is silnylon as opposed to the breathable second layer in the jungle hammock. It provides some wind resistance and a few degrees of extra comfort in and of itself even before adding insulation. I've hung in 22° with the SS and the open cell foam pad, a blue closed cell foam pad and the space blanket. Each of these items plays a role at various temperature levels.

Down side to the super shelter is getting the darn thing fitted on right the first time. I practiced with it before hanging for real.

Lots of blackbird aficionados around here but I wasn't any more comfortable in it than in the HH Exped.
    Although I now have a blackbird I also dont find it any more comfortable than an HH Exped

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Just got a Deep Jungle for my wife. So far I'm impressed with it as a good hammock. I don't know what sort of camping you plan to do in clod weather, but for me, I would go with the Deep Jungle and a foam pad with the pad that comes with the Hennessy in really cold weather.

I've used the Supershelter in the past and had issues trying to stay warm with it. Still haven't figured out why. I've also used the IX underquilts and have had issues with it I haven't figured out why I couldn't stay comfortable with it either. The Deep Jungle is pretty much idiot proof. (Calling myself the idiot BTW)
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts