Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Way to much time fussing with tarp

Setting up my Black Bird is ridiculously simple. Pull the webbing out of the stuff sack wrap around tree clip on with biners, adjust buckles done.
    Then i sit down, untangle ridge line(s) and guy lines before i can set up the tarp. Breaking camp consists of pulling the stuffing the tarp back in the sack, sitting down and attempting to neatly store the ridge line and guy lines as to to have to untangle later. Never seems to work, some how they tie them selves in knots inside the pack. Of course...the hammock takes virtually no time to pack.

So i have identified what i want. A single ridge line, under the tarp, so i can hang items under the tarp. Setup just like the Black bird, with no figure nines....as i find they get lost easily, and some sort of tangle resistant line.
    It has to be something that can be done in the dark with cold wet, numb hands.

Is there something out there readily available...or am i dreaming.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Talk to Opie here on HF. He can get you all set up. I'm sure he'll chime in here as well once he sees the post. In the meantime, check out www.whoopieslings.com.

And yes, you're not dreaming. There are easier ways and better tangle-resistant lines available.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

One way to save the tangled mess of lines for guy outs is to take a few seconds per line and do the figure 8 hank across your thumb and pinky finger. It uncoils quickly and easily too. Some people also have rubber bands or hair elastics at the tarp tie out point and use that to secure the hanked up cord.

For the tarp ridgeline, there is always the option of using snake skins to help in deployment of the tarp. This way the tarp would always be attached to the ridgeline.

Both options here should really help you out with your spaghetti tangled lines.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Talk to Opie about the ridge line and then buy some snake skins. They make taking down and setting up the tarp as easy as the BB setup. Keeps your guy lines from getting tangled too.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've gotten a lot faster with the combination of separate lines for the ridge, which are coiled and stored in my stake bag, plus snakeskins for the tarp, with guylines staying attached at the corners, and then figure 9's permanently attached to my MSR Groundhog stakes. With figure 9 carabiners attached to the ridgeline loops of the tarp, it's a quick and easy setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I second the figure eight coiling of the guy lines. It takes only seconds per line. When ready to deploy they uncoil with no problems. As for the tarp ridge line, if it is connected to your tarp with prussic loops. The same figure 8 coiling will work for each end that extends past the ends of the tarp. The remainder of the ridge line that runs under the tarp should not tangle as the tarp is put in a stuff sack or stuffed into you pack.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I've gotten a lot faster with the combination of separate lines for the ridge, which are coiled and stored in my stake bag, plus snakeskins for the tarp, with guylines staying attached at the corners, and then figure 9's permanently attached to my MSR Groundhog stakes. With figure 9 carabiners attached to the ridgeline loops of the tarp, it's a quick and easy setup.
    So your ridge line rope is off the tarp when stored?
    And the fig 9s quick setup when you're ready???
    Just trying to get the picture of it.
    Regards
    Tom
    Tom

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Cough, Cough, there are some no hardware tarp ridge lines available at a shop I know, Cough
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Hulk, the figure 9 wont fall off the prusik I attach it to the RL with. You would have to physically take it off.

Ive found, and this is JMO.. If you want a single line RL, you really need to ability to gain some mechanical advantage on the line to pull it tight. The prusiks on the 2 line system work well for getting the tarp taut... But if you are going to use the line for other purposes, you really will enjoy getting it pretty tight. It is possible to do this without a figure 9 using a truckers hitch or a combination of several prusiks. TeeDee has an interesting tarp RL set-up.

As for line stowage.. I also figure 8 wrap all my loose lines... My TRL, my guy lines and even the tails to my slings, prior to stuffing everything.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    So your ridge line rope is off the tarp when stored?
    And the fig 9s quick setup when you're ready???
    Just trying to get the picture of it.
    Regards
    Tom
    Tom
    Exactly - the tarp lines each have a loop in one end - I girth hitch them aroud the trees, so I have lines coming off each tree, then use the fig 9 biners on each end of the tarp to attach the lines to the tarp. An alternate setup method is to hook those loops in the line to my dutch clips or biners on my tree huggers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast