Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You know we went main steam when toys R us is selling hammocks and tarps.

"Hey Mister, it that your Fisher Price My First Hammock? Did your mommy buy it for you?"
    "It's alot more comfortable than that Hasbro tent you got there sonny."
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    How tall are you guys using these ENO double width type hammocks?

What angle of diagonal would you estimate your laying at?

Are you using any of the edge color to lay on?

There's not a top side/bottom side on these is there?

I've been trying different ridge line lengths, actually set up everything with biners and garda hitches and 8 mm rope, so its all infinitely adjustable, I can vary the ridgeline and the tension on the main line separately, although basically the ridgeline lenght determines the hang so long as it doesn't have slack (i.e. I tension the main line enough to keep the ridgeline fairly taught). Anyway I've taken the ridgeline from 87" up to 108" and still can't seem to find the sweet spot. I'm starting to wonder if there is something odd or defective about the particular hammock I bought. If I lay at enough of an angle to use the edge color material (estimating about 40 deg from centerline), then I pick up the curve from the sides - where the sides are shorter than the middle, creating the side walls and this causes a banana shape. If I lay more in line, like 15 deg off axis, then I pick up the banana shape from the ends being higher than the middle.

Don't get me wrong its not like it absolutely sucks or anything, it's not bad but I'm definitely laying flater in my HHUL explorer, which isn't anywhere near this wide. I'm 6' tall, maybe that's the difference my experience and what sparrow and others find soooo comfortable?

I'm 5'7
    I have used a couple of positions in my double that I cant do in my Hennessy.
    One position is to have my right leg straight out. The hammock will form a pocket and allow it to be perfectly straight. No Diagonal. I'll then put my left leg at almost a 90 degree angle. All this is done on my back. Very comfortable. I did replace the stock rope with Spyderline. I cinched it very tight on the ends.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    How tall are you guys using these ENO double width type hammocks?
    I'm 5'11"

What angle of diagonal would you estimate your laying at?
    Probably about 30 degrees.

There's not a top side/bottom side on these is there?
    Probably not, but I treat it like there is. I always hang the hammock so that the attached stuffsack on my ENO is on the same side, facing out, so that I can use it for storing the contents of my pockets when I get in the hammock. I don't know that it matters at all, but that's what I do.

Are you using any of the edge color to lay on?
    Yes. Sometimes more than others, depending on the angle at which I am laying.

I've taken the ridgeline from 87" up to 108" and still can't seem to find the sweet spot.

I'm 6' tall, maybe that's the difference my experience and what sparrow and others find soooo comfortable?
    It sounds like you've really given it a thorough try. I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for you. I guess that it could just be the difference in what different people find comfortable.

When laying in my ENO, while I lay *mostly* flat, it isn't a completely flat hang. I don't find that necessary to my comfort. As long as my legs are straight, I'm quite comfortable to have some arch to the rest of my body (prefer this actually). Also, it might be worth noting that I spend about half the time in my hammocks laying on my side (side sleeper). For those comfort positions, I find the ENO ideal.

You've mentioned laying flat several times, and when laying diagonally in an ENO you can only get *mostly* flat. Perhaps you're looking for the flattest laying position possible to be comfortable? If so, you should do more research about the Bridge style of hammock (notably the DIY ones, and the upcoming JRB Bear Mtn Bridge hammock).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    From what Pan recently posted it looks like the Bear Mt. Bridge hammock will be available for sale around the first of November or so.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Sparrow, thanks for all the info.

Just to clarify, I'm very comfortable in my HH, and in buggy conditions I appreciate the netting, but I was thinking that in the fall I might like to not have the netting, top load and be able to reach stuff outside. When I made homemade speer types, I found that longer was much more comfortable, like I have one that is 11' lng and it is sweet but I don't have a tarp to fit it. So I was wondering if the extra width of the ENO double type hammocks might be comfortable. I tried sewing extra width but I"m not that good of a sewer (seamster??). I'm not at all disappointed that I tried it, and I appreciate this group explaining how they use different hammocks. 50 bucks, no big deal - just playing around, experimenting etc.

Thanks for everyones input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234