Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Sparrow, how tight are you hanging yours?
    Loose. Lots of sag. The more sag the more comfortable it is.

It does take some practice to get the hang of, so don't be afraid to tinker with different amounts of sag until you find the right 'zone' for you.

You might actually want to take a length of cord and tie some bowlines on the ends and slip the loops down over each end of your suspension to create a temporary structural ridgeline. That way, you can tinker with the sag in a measured way. Try starting with about 100 inches, give or take. That amount of sag is most comfortable for me. (101" actually)

Once you get used to the amount of sag needed with a ridgeline, you can start eyeballing your hangs to match it, or just leave it in. Personally, I prefer not to use a ridgeline with the ENO, but I did use one when I first got it.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 09-20-2007 at 17:25. Reason: edited to clarify ridgeline length
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    AngrySparrow has it right. That's what I do with my Treklight double.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Had the exact same problem the first 6 nights in my ENO.

It is contrary to what you'd think, but sag, sag, sag. The ENO style hammocks (like FF's Treklight) all seem to hang that way. Once you get diagonal, don't be a weenie about it, the 'flop' in the sides will go away and the walls will stay mostly vertical.

When you get it right, you'll know it. They are wicked comfortable once you find the spot. As soon as you do; get a ridgeline and never stess again.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks for the advice guys, especially the quantitative info sparrow.
    I think I'll definitely put a ridgeline on it to figure out where I want it, and maybe just leave it, don't know but first I gotta get the hang right.

Images
    yeah, but you'd always have to live with the fact that some of your gear is from toys r us

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I found this tarp today and wondered if anyone has ever tried it. It is the Bliss shelter (tarp) for $40 its not that bad a price.

http://www.toysrus.com/sm-hammock-bl...i-1998674.html

Images
    i have a bliss. it's very comfortable. made out of the exact same material as a eno and a treklite. i would say that they are all identical as far as i can tell. probably even made in the exact same sweatshop

Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I've looked at both of these on their websites, and they look very similar. Does anyone have any experience with both, or know of differences between them? I want to try the extra width, and not sure which one is better. I'm not concerned about the suspension system, I plan to use my own, just wondering about the hammock itself, and whats different, better, worse, between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Loose. Lots of sag. The more sag the more comfortable it is.

It does take some practice to get the hang of, so don't be afraid to tinker with different amounts of sag until you find the right 'zone' for you.

You might actually want to take a length of cord and tie some bowlines on the ends and slip the loops down over each end of your suspension to create a temporary structural ridgeline. That way, you can tinker with the sag in a measured way. Try starting with about 100 inches, give or take. That amount of sag is most comfortable for me. (101" actually)

Once you get used to the amount of sag needed with a ridgeline, you can start eyeballing your hangs to match it, or just leave it in. Personally, I prefer not to use a ridgeline with the ENO, but I did use one when I first got it.
    If I understand this correctly the 101 inches is from the end of fabric to end of fabric and does not include the cord to the buckles - right?

This is from the description of the temporary ridge line using bowline loops slipped over the suspension lines.

Now all I need is to find a local source for dyneema cord (probably will give up and order on line ... sigh).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    If I understand this correctly the 101 inches is from the end of fabric to end of fabric and does not include the cord to the buckles - right?
    That's correct. I should have been more clear about that.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    How tall are you guys using these ENO double width type hammocks?

What angle of diagonal would you estimate your laying at?

Are you using any of the edge color to lay on?

There's not a top side/bottom side on these is there?

I've been trying different ridge line lengths, actually set up everything with biners and garda hitches and 8 mm rope, so its all infinitely adjustable, I can vary the ridgeline and the tension on the main line separately, although basically the ridgeline lenght determines the hang so long as it doesn't have slack (i.e. I tension the main line enough to keep the ridgeline fairly taught). Anyway I've taken the ridgeline from 87" up to 108" and still can't seem to find the sweet spot. I'm starting to wonder if there is something odd or defective about the particular hammock I bought. If I lay at enough of an angle to use the edge color material (estimating about 40 deg from centerline), then I pick up the curve from the sides - where the sides are shorter than the middle, creating the side walls and this causes a banana shape. If I lay more in line, like 15 deg off axis, then I pick up the banana shape from the ends being higher than the middle.

Don't get me wrong its not like it absolutely sucks or anything, it's not bad but I'm definitely laying flater in my HHUL explorer, which isn't anywhere near this wide. I'm 6' tall, maybe that's the difference my experience and what sparrow and others find soooo comfortable?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You know we went main steam when toys R us is selling hammocks and tarps.

"Hey Mister, it that your Fisher Price My First Hammock? Did your mommy buy it for you?"
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast