Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I tried the burn test:

The digital cam stuff is polyester - I am almost certain now.

the olive/grey lighter stuff is most likely vinyon or mod acrylic according to the chart but I am not as certain.

Hammock
    Home Made Hammock
    Tarp
    Home Made Mac Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Poly Straps
    Images
    I have found several different types of digital camo at my Wally World over the times. Some have been waterproof and some have not. I think I bought this same camo about a month ago. It has one side that has a coating and one that is more of a fabric feel. It passed the holding water test and the suck air test (as in no air through). It is defiantly not as light as the silnylon I have (my guess it is about 1.6 oz sq. yd.) and no were near the slickness of the silnylon. It is some good stuff though. I bought several yards of it and like to use it for smaller projects like stuff sacks and things. It would be good stuff for a tarp but for me it would be a little to heavy for backpacking.

In the first pic (A) is the side with the coating on it and (B) the more fabric feeling side.

In second pic shows a finished squared off stuff sack use the material.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, finally found a thread were the formula for determining a fabric's weight is given. I can only assume that it is a reliable process.
    Jeff gives it in post #3.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=232
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    I came across some WM dark brown nylon (or polyester) fabric (no ripstop) that i'm guessing is 1.9 in weight. It has a very rubbery coated feel on one side and passes the blow test and cup of water test so it appears to be water resistant (or wp). Has anybody else had experience with this fabric?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernessquest1 View Post
    I came across some WM dark brown nylon (or polyester) fabric (no ripstop) that i'm guessing is 1.9 in weight. It has a very rubbery coated feel on one side and passes the blow test and cup of water test so it appears to be water resistant (or wp). Has anybody else had experience with this fabric?
    Off the top I would guess it is heavier than 1.9 with the coating. It could very well be a urethane coating. That is hardcore waterproof if the coating is done properly. One problem with urethane coating is that overtime it can break down and begin to stink like rotten eggs. Once that happens there is no way of reversing the process that I can find. Storage of the fabric can have an impact on the occurrence of that stench. I would suggest that weigh it first to be sure of the weight before you invest a lot of effort in a tarp or gear that will turn out to be too heavy for you to want to carry it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I have a tarp made of the same silver gray material and it seems to be very effective but I don't think it is sil. However I have no way of knowing for sure Wally World fabric being what it is.
    I, too have a tarp made from the gray WW stuff. it's definitely DWR. I love that fabric...

Weigh the digital camo, if it's poly-coated, one side will be rubbery to the touch, and much heavier than sil. Also, check the edges. If a cut-edge frays with little encouragement, then the fabric is uncoated,

Some fabrics are hot-calendared which makes one side shiny... it may "look" coated, but it's not...

hmmm... I'm off tomorrow on a WW scavenger hunt... I'll see if I can hit 5 WW in 2 hours...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    I also got 13 yards of the digital DWR which you can basically see through and although the brown fabric is heavier than that its not that much heavier. its Interesting on the "stink". I got 8 yards of this and the weight should be fine for the canoeing/kayaking i'll be doing. Although it's not ripstop it appears to be very durable and i'm thinking should be fine for a tarp.....don't know what else to do with it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    I never saw this part of the forum, or I would have posted this here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18781

I have a shower head in my home that is SUPER high pressure and actually pelts you a little too hard when taking a shower. I held this new fabric I scored up to it 6-8 inches away from the head, and I felt a light mist coming through on my face. The green is a light uncoated ripstop and I am using it to make a couple of hammocks, since it is breathable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123