Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Challenge

All these comments make me glad I have Clarks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Seeing how heavy a Clark is makes me glad I have a Warbonnet

Actually the War Bonnet is one of the few I don't have and is next on my list.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerbird View Post
    K, i'm typing up a a hammock option sheet right now. YALL ROCK!!!
    Thanks a lot. We're gonna have an awesome trip now lol.

We'll see what they decide... And I suppose I will have to post some pictures after the trip so we can see what kind of hangaholics this site has created!

Thanks everybody!!!!
    Just a note on that Guide Gear 12'x12' tarp, there are no webbing loops or grommets in the center of any edge, so hanging the tarp in the classic A frame configuration won't be possible without some DIY work. Consider switching tarps out to the Chinook 12'x9'6" tarp which has modest cat cuts on each edge and has a grommet in the center of each 9'6" edge for the A frame tarp hang. That Chinook tarp can be had for around the same price as the Guide Gear tarp.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    And then the claytor. Oh the post chasing...

Ok, so:
    $200 WBBB + gear guide
    $150 claytor
    $120 skeeter beeter +gear guide
    $100 hennessy zip on sale

Which of the 4 options? Remember the costumers: teenagers, first backpacking trip, pad and sleeping bag, minimal tinkering (ease of setup), first time hangers.
    Which do you think and why? I might just give them some options and let them choose lol.
    Powerbird,

If your friends put in a group order, the Claytor Jungle Hammock's price drops to $140 -- that's complete with tarp, net, and suspension. Double bottom keeps pad in place, and hammock can be turned upside down if you don't want to use the built-in bug net. If they are good enough for the French Foreign Legion's jungle troops, they're good enough for your buddies. They are shipped from Thailand and take about two weeks to arrive.

FarStar

4 (rather athletically built) guys
    Athletically built? I'll betcha lunch that you hate the $99 Hennessy unless these athletes are jockeys. Being teens might help, but they'd better spend an hour or two laying in the hammocks before they commit to multiple nights in them.

Going back to the weather, I think we're going to get up to 13,000 ft, but I doubt we're spending much time that high.
    You're not planning to try to camp at 13,000', are you? Humans have a 1 in 5 chance of having altitude sickness symptoms by the time they get to 10,000' even if they live in Colorado and think they're an altitude stud. At 13,000' it's pretty much a guarantee that at least one person will have a major headache and you never know when the barf-atron will fire up. Also, what are you going to tie the hammocks to? There are no trees at 13,000 feet. If you're all rock climbers, and have your gear with you, that's another story. If not, get back down at least below tree line.

Boris

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    At 13,000' it's pretty much a guarantee that at least one person will have a major headache and you never know when the barf-atron will fire up.
    That's pretty much true, but there are some things you can do to lessen the odds. Unfortunately the best one is a heavy one; water. Being as hydrated as possible before getting above 6,000', then staying very hydrated will reduce, or often eliminate, symptoms of altitude sickness.

But, my guess is they will be on trails that go up to 10K'+, then come back down. There are lots of them out here. Usually symptoms that become apparent at altitude will lessen significantly when you drop even a 1,000'. Just need to camel-up at every opportunity and stay good and wet on the inside.

The other really cool trick I've learned out here, and weighs a whole bunch less than water, is Tums. No joke! It's one of those local remedies that seems to be valid. Bring some Tums and start chewing them at the first signs of a headache, or at first hint of nausea. Have no idea why it works, but it sure seems to work.
    Trust nobody!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Can't speak for hiking to that altitude but working for several years in Bolivia at 13,383 ft ... baby asprin taken daily ... several times a day, lots of water like Cannibal reccmds, and not eating large meals will aid you a lot.

Put a big meal in your gut and you'll suffer for it.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've felt minor altitude effects at 4,000 to 6,000 ft.

When Skippy, Hedcase and I climbed to the highest point in Big Bend Natl Park in March, we were seriously affected before we got close the the summit at 7800 ft.

I ain't no altitude stud!

...but I'd love to go with you guys anyway!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    It looks like REI online is sold out of the zip version of the ASYM. You might be able to call around to stores and find one with some in stock, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast