Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I thought that too. That is the very same vid I was using.. It was taught. I cant really put it any other way. It happened, and I was trying to figure out why..Looks like I not only got shot down by a hammock, but by hammockers not wanting to help me about what went wrong.. Ill never post defects or problems here again as there is no help here..
    Oh for pete's sake - we are trying to get a clear description of what happened. No one is chiding you for posting a defect we just want to understand what happened.

Did something break (if so what, exactly)?

Did something fall off (if so what, exactly)?

Did something come undone (if so what, exactly)?

This is interesting to the folks here they just want to understand what happened and so far, nothing in your description really aids in that. Lol - we want details, man!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    The Hennessy obviously broke. That's unheard of ... it's far more common for inexperienced and experienced hangers is to screw anchoring up and take a short ride.

I've occ done it by non challanting the set up or messing with a skiddish self designed unstable hammock.

What came across to you as a superior condescending tone no doubt was actually a focused and intense desire to help ... I've been around here a few years and know the folks to be extremely helpful if you can understand what you want and what they are writing ... all the acroyms and short hand language n stuff.

Most here have forgotten more than I'll ever know --- stick around, it's not what you appear to think.

In any case I wish you well.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Images
    I thought that too. That is the very same vid I was using.. It was taught. I cant really put it any other way. It happened, and I was trying to figure out why..Looks like I not only got shot down by a hammock, but by hammockers not wanting to help me about what went wrong.. Ill never post defects or problems here again as there is no help here..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    That is a flat out absurd statement - multiple people offered multiple ideas, all with very few details from you, and rather than provide the details (very specific details being asked for in plain language), you lashed out at one of the most helpful and welcoming communities on the internet.
    Graywolf, Bro, I kind of have to agree with Mustard on this one. I think you are seeing hostile responses where there are none. Nobody here is out to put you down, they just want to help you. And help solve a mystery. Thus, as they don't quite grasp what happened, for whatever reason they don't grasp it, they are simply seeking more info from you, more details. Nobody is calling you a liar. We know that even the finest product can, with enough time, have a problem or lemon. Conversely, there could be some kind of operator error, especially with our first hammock hanging attempts. Hence, folks are seeking more info so they can be of some use to you. I'm not sure why that seems to be upsetting you? You will never find a more newby welcoming group than this bunch here.

Now if you are still with us- you may be gone judging by the above posts- one thing we would like to know: is the suspension rope still firmly attached to the hammock? I think that is one thing none of us is clear on. That could tell us a lot. But if the suspension rope is still firmly attached to both the hammock and tree straps which are also firmly on the tree and didn't slip, then we are really scratching our heads here at HF!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For the other poster, yes, when I took it back to REI they gladly refunded my money, but I wanted to know what happened, so we looked at it. The line at the foot end did slip from the casing.. As far as they could tell, the wrapping wasnt taught enough and was wrapped in a lose knot. REI is sending it back as a defected item..
    It would seem this has answered some of the questions. I must confess when I have seen the interior routing of the suspension rope this would a highly unusual defect. This is not to say it did not happen. Only that I would think it would happen very rarely. This is the first I have heard of this kind of failure from an unmodded stock suspension.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It would seem this has answered some of the questions. I must confess when I have seen the interior routing of the suspension rope this would a highly unusual defect. This is not to say it did not happen. Only that I would think it would happen very rarely. This is the first I have heard of this kind of failure from an unmodded stock suspension.
    Thats what REI and I figured out when we looked at it closer..It was a defect and REI sent it back as a defect..

I do wish I had a video to show, but I no longer have the hammock. When I was putting it up I didnt think about it at the time..usually I do vids after I have the idea down,but not on the first time..

As stated I did explain as clearly as possible, maybe not with the correct vocablulary about what happened..Thanks Ramblin for using the term "interior routing". Thats what I meant.. The guy at REI said the same thing too, that he has never heard that before himself, and he is an hammocker. Thats why I wanted him to take a look at it..If it was me, I would have brought it back home and tried one more time.. But it was a defect and cant do nothing about that..Thats what happens when you buy something made in China..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    As stated I did explain as clearly as possible, maybe not with the correct vocablulary
    I'm sorry but you did NOT explain it clearly. You may have thought you did, but the vocabulary was not the problem - your description was completely unclear.

It would be like crashing your car and expecting a mechanic to diagnose the problem by saying "I was driving, and I heard a metal noise, and then I was wrapped around a tree." You STILL haven't clarified whether the rope came disconnected from the hammock.

Stating that one incredibly simple fact at the very beginning would have eliminated a lot of confusion.

Images
    Thats what REI and I figured out when we looked at it closer..It was a defect and REI sent it back as a defect..

I do wish I had a video to show, but I no longer have the hammock. When I was putting it up I didnt think about it at the time..usually I do vids after I have the idea down,but not on the first time..

As stated I did explain as clearly as possible, maybe not with the correct vocablulary about what happened..Thanks Ramblin for using the term "interior routing". Thats what I meant.. The guy at REI said the same thing too, that he has never heard that before himself, and he is an hammocker. Thats why I wanted him to take a look at it..If it was me, I would have brought it back home and tried one more time.. But it was a defect and cant do nothing about that..Thats what happens when you buy something made in China..
    OK, clearly some sort of factory defect, hopefully you will have much better luck with the replacement and have some happy hangs.

What is still a mystery to me: apparently, it came loose at the hammock/rope suspension intersection. Loose enough to put you on the ground. So, I'm thinking you must have been pretty close to the ground before you got in? Otherwise the mystery is how it could have come loose enough to put you on the ground without also pulling completely out of the knot cover and free of the hammock.

But it doesn't really matter, we just are obsessed about trying to understand all things hammock related. Especially things that dump us on the ground! Bottom line is, there was a defect in the factory rope to hammock knot, and now you can give it another go with a new one. Here's wishing you better luck! At least you didn't end up upside down in the net like I did on my first night!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Glad to know what happened. It's the first time I've heard of this particular issue and honestly not one I thought I'd ever hear about. Hope this isn't a new trend for the HH production. Somebody could get hurt pretty badly in the wrong set of circumstances.
    I dont know how much detail anyone wants on describing my fall. I got in, I heard a slip form the foot end of the hammock then it fell, period!! How much more description can there be??
    Stick around long enough and you will discover this site is stuffed full with all types, but when it comes to hammocks most here are 'quants' of the field. The level of detail around here can get overwhelming at times, no doubt! But, all those little details are how we find new and better designs. Something as small as a fold in the whipping of a hammock can have a huge effect, so yeah, we ask for a lot of detailed information when there is a failure. Please don't take it as hostility, nerds get excited about finding the cause of failure. We just can't help ourselves.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    GW, I meant no disrespect by my comments/questions. Yes, things do come with faults. I apologize if you were offended by my comments, just trying to help.
    good luck in your hammock journey.

You have many, MANY hammockers down in Texas. See if you can hook up with some and check out there gear, great bunch of folks!

Buy American, your job depends on it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Glad to know what happened. It's the first time I've heard of this particular issue and honestly not one I thought I'd ever hear about. Hope this isn't a new trend for the HH production. Somebody could get hurt pretty badly in the wrong set of circumstances.

Stick around long enough and you will discover this site is stuffed full with all types, but when it comes to hammocks most here are 'quants' of the field. The level of detail around here can get overwhelming at times, no doubt! But, all those little details are how we find new and better designs. Something as small as a fold in the whipping of a hammock can have a huge effect, so yeah, we ask for a lot of detailed information when there is a failure. Please don't take it as hostility, nerds get excited about finding the cause of failure. We just can't help ourselves.
    Cannibal...your such a nerd

to be honest i was lost also....
    but glad it's all cleared up...please stick around

there are alot of gearheads here(myself included) we only probe around to find out why something broke or did not work so we can learn from it
    that is all you will not find a better forum on the web when it comes to help and understanding

oh yeah...welcome to the forums
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast