Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings

Webbing Sources & Sewing By Hand

I was wondering what everyone uses other than going to retailers like REI, Campmor, Sports Chalet, etc.

Scrounged sources for webbing I have considered have been old military clasp belts but I do not think these are waterproof, dog leashes which I think are waterproof or at least water resistant, library bag handles, old book bag straps, grocery store bag straps, etc.

While I do have some the camping use specific webbing bought, I am thinking about using something like a thin dog leash webbing to try on my tiny 5x7 nylon tarp which currently only has grommets that I tied small loops through. I also use a couple of evenly spaced multi-loop paracord line I made for this little tarp.

Just something to cut my teeth on before I go to a bigger tarp mod on my Chinook I am just not really in a all-fired hurry to tackle this yet, since some of the mods I want to do to it, involves sewing in middle parts of the tarp.

Would this kind of material be acceptable for outdoor use?

What would be the best hand needles for going about this bigger project?

I have an old 7 piece set of Penn home repair hand needles that says they are for use on awnings, carpets, car seats, gloves, tents, and upholtery. However, these needles are fairly old (1970's or 80's) and many materials have changed since these were made. Some of these needles seem awfully thick, like they were made for sail making and shoemakers.

Also what would be the best thread to use with the webbing and poly-coated nylon tarps?
    Last edited by Kier; 05-23-2010 at 20:21.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Webbing-Paul at Arrowhead Equipment
    Thread -Paul at Arrowhead Equipment

Your needles seem huge to you?, then I'd suggest a thinner style/size for sewing sil.
    Polyester thread is a good choice, avoid cotton at all cost. Cotton absorbs water and rots over time. Regular size sewing thread is fine, no need for the thicker size thread, IMO.
    Hand sewing? I'd suggest checking with your local awning/sewing shop, you might be suprised on the prices. Some are extremely reasonable.

Try to stay away from nylon webbing, it will stretch. If its not labeled, you run the risk of constantly re-adjusting for tight pitch/hang. Nylon will stretch over and over again.
    Paul @ AHE has the right stuff at good prices.
    Seal all your tarp stitchery, the needle holes will leak.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I second Paul at AHE ... hands down the best webbing I've every used for hammocks. Good service too.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    If you are talking webbing for hammock suspension, that's one thing - however, it looks like you are actually asking about webbing for your tarp tieouts. You don't need anything nearly as heavy as the stuff Paul sells for that sort of project.

You can pick up grosgrain ribbon at any fabric store, and it will work quite well for tarp tieouts.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Yes, I was talking more specifically for tarp tie-outs.

As for a hammock, I think I will buy one and get some good highly rated suspension for it.

I do not know if I trust my skills that much to suspend my 200+ pound short and heavy frame with a newly experienced bad back up in the air that much.

When I was younger and lighter it was not as much of a problem. I could heal more quickly then.

I am just trying to find the most inexpensive sources while not sacraficing any utility.

I do think durability is a major issue, so I will look into the suppliers you have mentioned.

Thanks for the information.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    BTW, Hawkeye.

I have recently read an interesting thread where you modified an Equinox tarp to run tie-outs through the grommets.

What kind of web strapping did you use and can I get it in different colors?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    BTW, Hawkeye.

I have recently read an interesting thread where you modified an Equinox tarp to run tie-outs through the grommets.

What kind of web strapping did you use and can I get it in different colors?
    As mustardman mentioned grosgrain ribbon makes great tarp tie outs. It's available at nearly any fabric store in many widths and colors.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    I hand sew all my stuff, and just use regular old needles you can buy in a package at any Wal-Mart. Webbing's not that difficult to sew--just make sure it's well reinforced. But I'm with other commenters who said you don't need heavy duty webbing on your tarp at all--grosgrain ribbon is just fine

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Let me give a little bit of a description of what I want to do with the Chinook tarp now that some of you have given advice of better materials to use for the project.

For the ridgeline, or long areas of the tarp I would want to use poly-webbing where the current center grommets are, and at the outside edge at major points that will take some load bearing to tent stakes I would also prefer some poly-webbing.

Some of you are mentioning using grosgrain ribbon for tieouts and I assume you mean for things door tie-offs.

I really do not know if I could use it (grosgrain ribbon) in locations on the tarp similar to what is used on a basha. I've never seen the British military basha, except in pictures, so I do not know what is actually used for the ties on those. However, I really like the idea of multiple shelter configurations on a tarp for both ground and hammock.

Is this stuff really strong enough to use within inner tarp and edge areas that might take some amount of wind load with a proper amount of load distribution points?

What would be the best way to reinforce the other side of the tarp material at the location grosgrain ribbon is used particularly the inner areas?

I suppose at the edges it could just be sewed upon itself at the other side in a loop.

This grosgrain ribbon seems okay for my tiny tarp, but I would like to know if my 12x9.5 tarp could handle using these without being too heavy and not tearing out the material of my tarp or just breaking out from it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    Some of you are mentioning using grosgrain ribbon for tieouts and I assume you mean for things door tie-offs.
    No, we mean actual tarp tieouts for connecting to trees or stakes. It's plenty strong if you use the wide grosgrain.

These tieouts are on one of my DIY tarps - it's a 12x10 that's been through serious storms and never had any problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast