Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Handsewing is a pain. Used old singer-20 25 bucks at a yard sale. Your in business. Its not as fussy to work as people make out on some utube vids i watched. than you can make, well, everything. My tarp tie outs look like those above, minus the plastic triangle things. It went through some feirce wind, but it flapped. I use shock cord for the tarp tie's now, from the tarp to the stake. And I buy whatever I can find, wherever. Type in webbing on google and your in like flynn.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    These tieouts are on one of my DIY tarps - it's a 12x10 that's been through serious storms and never had any problems.
    The blue edges or the black strap?

The grosgrain I just looked at Joanns did not seem that thick as that black stuff you are showing. That strap on your photograph looks like that ribbed truckers strapping.

The stuff I just looked at the material store was like the ribbon used for tying gift packages and for holding girl's ponytails, but it did say polyester grosgrain.

I think it was available in oatmeal color (close enough to sand) in 2 widths at about half inch and 1.25 inch.
    Last edited by Kier; 05-26-2010 at 00:19.
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    There are many thicknesses and widths of grosgrain - both the blue and black on the tarp are grosgrain.

I should also mention that the blue and the black are actually really similar - they are about the same width, but the blue is folded over to form an edge binding.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Tree Slings
    That's Awesome Mustardman, Thanks.

I saw some blue ripstop nylon while I was there, and using some grosgrain for edging at some key areas it looks like I might want to start new project for a fairly light tarp.

Maybe a 6x9. I wonder how much it will weigh?
    "What's that big funny looking banana thing hanging over there by those two trees?" said little Billy Bear to his mama. "I think it is called a pinata and it is filled with goodies." she replied. "You must bap it around first and then tear it open to find out what wonderful tasty things it holds for us tonight, little Billy. Let us go play with it now." she continued.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    You will want something better than ripstop for a tarp - either silnylon or polyurethane coated. Fabric stores like Jo-Ann rarely carry lightweight waterproof fabric, so you are unlikely to find silnylon there. Your best bet for tarp fabric is mail order.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You will want something better than ripstop for a tarp - either silnylon or polyurethane coated. Fabric stores like Jo-Ann rarely carry lightweight waterproof fabric, so you are unlikely to find silnylon there. Your best bet for tarp fabric is mail order.
    Not to quibble but a treated ripstop is what you want. Silnyl is often a thin ripstop impregnated with a silicon solution to make it waterproof. Coated ripstop is available from web vendors fairly easily but it will be heavier than syl. If you are primarily a fair weather camper then a DWR (durable water resistant) will work for light drizzles and dew but a heavy downpour will turn it into a soggy mess with prolonged exposure.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I was typing on an iPhone and trying to be brief - not implying that silnylon is a coated fabric but pointing out the two most common tarp fabrics. I should have written that "plain" ripstop is not what you want.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I was typing on an iPhone and trying to be brief - not implying that silnylon is a coated fabric but pointing out the two most common tarp fabrics. I should have written that "plain" ripstop is not what you want.
    I was just trying to add some detail.. not dis on you. I'm on my desktop so I got no place else to go. Untreated ripstop is most decidedly useless as a tarp.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12