Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

WB Hammocks & calf pressure

Both hammocks are sl. The calf pressure when felt in the WBBB is real subtle. When lying where my feet are at the outside corner of the where the footbox panel meets the hammock body there is no pressure. With the Traveler it seems I can position myself at less of a diagonal and experience no calf pressure. Heading out to the backyard stand to compare the two hammocks side by side.
    Noel V.

Images
    this may have been discussed earlier in this thread or another, but width has alot to do with it too. i seem to get it more by laying more diagonal.

someone mentioned a trick that seems to work well for me. having your feet in the footbox, but then keeping or moving your torso closer to the shelf somewhat (about as far as you can without feeling like you're "tilted" to the left). (you'll still be on the same diagonal) i've found this makes a noticeable difference. i suppose i could make the hammock narrower which would force users into more of this position, but having the extra width is good for other reasons.

i've normally been very close to the zipper, but laying this new way, i'm several inches farther from the zipper and along with less calf pressure, it gives more headroom too.

as far as fabrics goes, the stronger the fabric is, the less it will stretch, and the more some people will notice calf pressure, the more the fabric stretches, the less noticeable it should be. of course, some people don't notice it at all no matter what hammock they have and others seem to notice it no matter what. those people might want to try moving their torso to the right like described above...some cushion under the knees works very well too of course.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

WBBB vs. Traveler, calf pressure.

The backyard side-by-side comparison revealed once again I'm a dolt. Perception vs. realty. As long as the center line of the hammock runs to the lateral side of my left knee no calf pressure. WBBB and WBT 1.1sl are close to identical regarding calf pressure.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    this may have been discussed earlier in this thread or another, but width has alot to do with it too. i seem to get it more by laying more diagonal.

someone mentioned a trick that seems to work well for me. having your feet in the footbox, but then keeping or moving your torso closer to the shelf somewhat (about as far as you can without feeling like you're "tilted" to the left). (you'll still be on the same diagonal) i've found this makes a noticeable difference. i suppose i could make the hammock narrower which would force users into more of this position, but having the extra width is good for other reasons.

i've normally been very close to the zipper, but laying this new way, i'm several inches farther from the zipper and along with less calf pressure, it gives more headroom too.

as far as fabrics goes, the stronger the fabric is, the less it will stretch, and the more some people will notice calf pressure, the more the fabric stretches, the less noticeable it should be. of course, some people don't notice it at all no matter what hammock they have and others seem to notice it no matter what. those people might want to try moving their torso to the right like described above...some cushion under the knees works very well too of course.
    Hmm, im trying to think about a stronger fabric causing more calf pressure. I thought if the hammock was more flat it would be less calf pressure. I'll take your word for it, as you’re one of the pros in gear making.

Is it also correct to assume that bridges will by nature have less calf pressure? I remember the hammocks i used to lay in as a kid, they were those long really really wide ones with the wooden spreader bar. Those were without a doubt the most comforable hammocks ever. If someone could replicate that style with hiking poles instead of wooden spreader bars, and incorporate a bug net, that would be a wonderful hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

If I am understanding you correctly, this approach is actually the subject of this thread. But I'm very glad to hear you confirming the very thing I thought I had been experiencing. So maybe it wasn't just a fluke with me during a one time trial with the WBBB, plus other trials with the HH Exp UL.

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Hmm, im trying to think about a stronger fabric causing more calf pressure. I thought if the hammock was more flat it would be less calf pressure. I'll take your word for it, as you’re one of the pros in gear making.
    Me too, that is kind of surprising. And maybe it is correct, because most of my hammocks seem to be either heavier fabric or dbl layer or both. And I seem to have more trouble with this problem than most folks.

Is it also correct to assume that bridges will by nature have less calf pressure?
    I think you can safely assume that. At least per my experience. I have never, from day one, felt the first even minor twinge of calf pressure or knee hyperextension with the JRB Bridge.

In fact, here is my judgment ( for right now) of the COMFORT(only) pros and cons of these 2 designs:
    1: With the almost exception of the HH Safari, the bridge hammock is unequivocal champ for comfort from the thighs down. Also the champ for lack of any side twisting while side sleeping. (just IMO you understand, based on what I have tried so far)
    2: Most non-bridge designs are the champ for shoulder comfort, whether with back or side sleeping, and allow for a good bit more "fetal" position than a JRB bridge. Which only allows slight to moderate fetal, depending on if a pad is used.

There are of course other pros and cons of the 2 designs. But because I tend to have more problems with leg/knee/calf discomfort in a gathered end or channel style hammock than I do with lack of shoulder comfort in a bridge, I seem to have a slight preference towards a BMBH. At least if max over all comfort is my primary consideration.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Me too.

I noticed the exact same issue others have mentioned here. I own a Warbonnet 1.7 DL. I installed a few eye hooks in the basement and spent a whole weeks worth of nights in the hammock to discover the technique mentioned in this forum. Get your butt in the right spot and a Warbonnet is like sleeping on a cloud.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If I am understanding you correctly, this approach is actually the subject of this thread. But I'm very glad to hear you confirming the very thing I thought I had been experiencing. So maybe it wasn't just a fluke with me during a one time trial with the WBBB, plus other trials with the HH Exp UL.
    yeah i thought it was, but i didn't bother reading the first post again because i recognized the title... But i've had a chance to try that a couple times since it was originally posted and it seems to make a noticeable difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123