Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    - Flatter lay
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Please explain...
    I probably should have said 'less stretch for a flatter lay'.

The two fabric layers share the weight of the occupant, and together stretch less than a single layer alone. (i.e. a DL 1.7 will stretch less for a given weight than a SL 1.7)
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Gotcha! Less stretch means you are where the hammock designer intended for you to be, as opposed to the point where gravity and stretched fabric reach equilibrium.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Skeeter biting has to do with the weave. . I don't think anyone has done a scientific test of it.

I notice that Hennesey recommends their Backpacker and Explorer UL models for use in high mosquito areas because they are made with a tightly woven material. Listed as 70D nylon taffeta 160 x 90 high count. Explorer Deluxe is not the high count fabric.

However, HH doesn't claim that mosquitoes can't bite through the high count fabric , just that it is more mosquito resistant. That you ought to use additional layers of fabric to stay out of direct contact with the hammock and or bug spray on the bottom.

Anyway, HH info agrees with the tight weave and multiple fabrics approach. I don't know if the multiple fabrics help due to it being harder for the mosquito to get lined up between the threads so much as just multiple layers end up spacing you to far away for them to reach you with their proboscis aka the bit they bite you with.

btw - the folks at bugshirt state they have done laboratory testing for bites through their bugshirt fabric which is a tightly woven fabric and other fabrics.

http://www.bugshirt.com/faqs.htm

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some probisci are longer than others...many are longer than two layers of 1.1 oz are thick.

Another point to this is that, if you're using any kind of bottom insulation, that will also protect you from skeeter probisci. Of course, the hottest areas where you're most likely to go w/o bottom insulation are also the areas most likely to have huge bugs!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12